.380 ACP vs 9MM

So if he's armed and you know it, my point is round or no round in the chamber you might not want to pull your gun. He's already got the jump on you. If he's armed and you're both in holsters I guess we have a Wild West draw? Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If possible you would try to close in and disrupt his aim and draw, not a good idea if you don't have one in the tube.

Spent a few hours last night reading and watching videos on the subject. Of course with anything there are a few horror stories about why you should def keep one in the chamber and a few mistakes/dummies regarding why you shouldn't. As an owner of 2 striker fired pistols with no manual safety I'm still a little uneasy, but may work towards keeping one in the pipe. The key is to retrain my mind for this though. Otherwise it could end poorly.

What's even more interesting is the discussion on 1911's and different conditions. I just bought a full size kimber SS and don't plan to carry, but it's certainly an interesting topic.

Edited by Belo

Spent a few hours last night reading and watching videos on the subject. Of course with anything there are a few horror stories about why you should def keep one in the chamber and a few mistakes/dummies regarding why you shouldn't. As an owner of 2 striker fired pistols with no manual safety I'm still a little uneasy, but may work towards keeping one in the pipe. The key is to retrain my mind for this though. Otherwise it could end poorly.

What's even more interesting is the discussion on 1911's and different conditions. I just bought a full size kimber SS and don't plan to carry, but it's certainly an interesting topic.

I understand your apprehension but the big difference between the striker fired handguns and a deer rifle is that a rifle I cocked there is tension holding back a firing pin, not the case on a striker gun.

380... because mine didn't cost anything, I co -registered it w/ my FIL who used to carry it . I need to get some range time with it before I start to carry it. until then it's my SP101 in .357.  

a loaded .380 in the pocket is better than a 9 mm you couldn't carry and conceal and home in the safe .

A good friend has the LCP in .380 and just bought a Beretta Tomcat in .22 and stuffed it full of Stingers. This guy has some state records in .22 and .45 . He figures 11 rounds of Stingers with no muzzle flip is a lot quicker to get off than 8 thumping .380 rounds. Again, most battles are very close quarters. I sure as ship don't want to get hit by either for that matter.

a loaded .380 in the pocket is better than a 9 mm you couldn't carry and conceal and home in the safe .

A good friend has the LCP in .380 and just bought a Beretta Tomcat in .22 and stuffed it full of Stingers. This guy has some state records in .22 and .45 . He figures 11 rounds of Stingers with no muzzle flip is a lot quicker to get off than 8 thumping .380 rounds. Again, most battles are very close quarters. I sure as ship don't want to get hit by either for that matter.

It's the concept of the "psychological stop". Most sane criminals will run the moment they're shot or shot at. No one can in a split second say "I've been shot...wait a minute..that's just a 22. I'll just stay and take a few more rounds to my chest". Of course there are the drugged up guys high on bath salt. Well, for those guys, don't care if it's a 380, 9mm, or 45 ACP. They're still going to be coming at you especially if you're missing with those said calibers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't be fooled by the price point, The Bersa is a great gun. 380 Thunder at 300-350 and about the same sized package in 9mm, 40 and 45 for 350-400

I cant get over how expensive that is. I looked at Bersa when I lived in VA and that gun was 175 new in every shop.

I haven't tried to o make a deal on one yet. Price point from what I am reading. Were those new and how long ago?

It was 2002ish. People avoided that gun like the plague. Ended up with a Taurus millenium and that gun has been absolutelg awesome. I gave ig to my Dad when i relocated to NY, and he still carries it. Not a single jam or ftf or anything. Ive sent more rounds downrange with that gun than any other in my life. I know people bash Taurus, but that particular gun couldnt be any better.

I carry single stack 9mm all year long, no issue at all concealing them in the summer. If I am wearing a sweater or sweat shirt in a causal setting I often carry my .40

In deciding a .380 vs a 9mm ect ask yourself what you'd rather get shot with. I always would opt for having a little more gun.

Single stack 9's like the G43, Shield and XDS supper easy to conceal with an inside the waist band holster. They also have enough size and weight to to them to accurately and comfortable shoot +P loads and heavier premium defense loads.

• Like 1

Sorry guys both the 380 and 9mm are girls guns :airkiss: 

And I think people who have to carry a 300 Mag rifle to shoot a whitetail deer are compensating for something.

With that said...................

The woman who was asking me for help went with a 9mm. I did try to talk her up to at least a 40 S&W, but no go. She has never fired any weapon before and the g/f volunteered me to help her out with caliber and selection. Yes, she already took her course.

Man, going to all those shops made me want another shotgun and rifle.

She was happy with what she picked. I did talk her into a mid size pistol though. A little more weight will help with the recoil. Better for a  first pistol IMO.

I was glad to help and it got me another private land spot to hunt.

• Like 2

I carry single stack 9mm all year long, no issue at all concealing them in the summer. If I am wearing a sweater or sweat shirt in a causal setting I often carry my .40

In deciding a .380 vs a 9mm ect ask yourself what you'd rather get shot with. I always would opt for having a little more gun.

Single stack 9's like the G43, Shield and XDS supper easy to conceal with an inside the waist band holster. They also have enough size and weight to to them to accurately and comfortable shoot +P loads and heavier premium defense loads.

I wouldn't want to carry a single stack 9mm with +P too light and too much bullet to get back on target fast enough same goes for super heavier rounds. There is a reason why so many self defense rounds are lighter bullets or a.k.a. reduced recoil.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't want to carry a single stack 9mm with +P too light and too much bullet to get back on target fast enough same goes for super heavier rounds. There is a reason why so many self defense rounds are lighter bullets or a.k.a. reduced recoil.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Speak for yourself. I ran a lot of +P critic duty in both 124 and 135 through my newest FN and the 43 this year without a hitch. Getting back on target or the recoil has been a non issue.

Just catching back,up on this thread. Bersa makes some great guns at good values.

Taurus , I've owened a Mod . 85 .38 snubbie concealed hammer since they first came out,like the late '80s early 90's and It's been great! Their .380 seems to hold up,well also .

But I've heard mixed reviews on the other autos, enough that I'd stay away myself , as I've owned guns that had issues and never care to again. Same with Kel tec years ago. They seemed to,use their customers as their QC . Many got good guns but enough did not to,keep me away. Now if you got a bad one and sent it in it came back perfect, I just did not want to see if I would be that one in ten , and bought a Berretta Tomcat .32 , then a LCP when they came out .

Our youngest daughter just got her permit , she enjoys my .22s and I'm getting her a SW compact 22 ( looks like the Shield) then work her up to the Shield . Might give her the Tomcat but the manual of arms can be confusing for a newbie I think.

Edited by Larry302

Speak for yourself. I ran a lot of +P critic duty in both 124 and 135 through my newest FN and the 43 this year without a hitch. Getting back on target or the recoil has been a non issue.

Which model FN were you shooting? I shot the 43 with +P and with it having a larger and heavier upper than most pocket sized 9mm it handled them better than the sheild. I have never shot a FN but looking at them they are a little bigger and heavier than the 43 or shield. Either way it took longer than my SD9VE to get back on target. 

The 9mm is my choice because of the power difference, the manufacturers have made great strides in recent years getting the size of 9mm pistols down pretty close to the small cc 380s. The size issue was the 380's only advantage.

Al

I still respectfully disagree. The size and smaller cartridge leads to less recoil and an easier shooting gun with a higher probability of more shots on target. Of course, like mentioned earlier, if you practice enough with any gun you can overcome the recoil. I'm just a realist and I know many don't spend enough time at the range.

• Like 1