Opinion on poaching

Chef

So as we have all discussed on here before we know there are certain towns throughout the state that are either hiring sharp shooters or using birth control to manage deer populations.... These towns more often than not have bans on hunting.... How do you guys feel about someone who owns land in one of these towns and is the proper distance away from structures and roads taking deer on their own land, in accordance with all other state and game laws.... Is this poaching and does this person deserve to be punished for these actions...... This is a conversation that I had with a friend the other day... He lives in a place like this and the only thing that truly prevents him from hunting his own property is a liberal towns no projectile law... So guys what would you do?

So as we have all discussed on here before we know there are certain towns throughout the state that are either hiring sharp shooters or using birth control to manage deer populations.... These towns more often than not have bans on hunting.... How do you guys feel about someone who owns land in one of these towns and is the proper distance away from structures and roads taking deer on their own land, in accordance with all other state and game laws.... Is this poaching and does this person deserve to be punished for these actions...... This is a conversation that I had with a friend the other day... He lives in a place like this and the only thing that truly prevents him from hunting his own property is a liberal towns no projectile law... So guys what would you do?

I would have to make that decision at the time but if the town was taking deer by paying sharpshooters with my tax money on top of me paying my own land tax without being able to take deer?   Cant say i would not if needed.

• Like 3

You ask: "So guys what would you do?" The real problem is: What would the local authorities do? If someone were to complain about it such that officers show up at the door, it wouldn't be poaching, it would be firing a weapon within the town limits. I know that answer sucks and getting the laws changed is a big headache. I hunt in the suburbs where the village has projectile laws but the township does not. I hunt outside village limits but still in backyards of suburban 2 acre lots with $400K homes. I have permission from one landowner and five of his neighbors to legally hunt (bow only) without the 150 yard setback restriction. I'm there because of their deer problem.

Not that my situation helps you or your friend, but word needed to get out even in that case. All it takes is one unhappy person or someone seeing something unusual and not understanding what's going on, for a call to be made.

Poaching, I believe is taking game from someone else's land without permission. Or taking game out of season.

You also might want to double check the laws. Is it a village restriction or the whole town restriction.

Edited by RoadKill44
  • Like 1

If it's safe I couldn't care less. However that projectile law might have serious punishment Edited by The_Real_TCIII

It’s this simple you can’t justify killing a deer out of season that’s poaching. If the town has a no hunting ordinance then you are also in violation of that law. If it is deer season your still in violation of the town law even if the DEC decides not to prosecute. I would not risk my hunting license on something so stupid.

• Like 2

It’s this simple you can’t justify killing a deer out of season that’s poaching. If the town has a no hunting ordinance then you are also in violation of that law. If it is deer season your still in violation of the town law even if the DEC decides not to prosecute. I would not risk my hunting license on something so stupid.

but aside from the area around buffalo and albany on the season map (talking upstate), it still would be open season, wouldn't it. I bet the charges would be for the discharge of the weapon. I don't think it could be for taking game out of season if the season is open. 

I am not saying to do it and don't agree with trying it. Just conversation. 

The ordinance law makes it much more than a hunting ethics question.

. This is in southern westchester and guns are not involved they have a no projectile law to cover bow hunting..... So technically he is just as guilty of breaking this law when he practices with his bow in the back yard

. This is in southern westchester and guns are not involved they have a no projectile law to cover bow hunting..... So technically he is just as guilty of breaking this law when he practices with his bow in the back yard

That my point.  You have to first content with the fact that discharging a bow would make him a criminal before you can even talk about if it is ethical to hunt deer in a deer cull area.

But is it poaching if it is in an area that is covered by an open season? Could a person be ticketed for illegally taking game if the season is open in that area and it is a municipal law on discharge? or is the only ticket that could be issued for the discharge?

. I agree I think the only ticket that could be issued is for the discharge.... And seriously I know numerous people who practice with their bows in their back yard so how is taking a deer any different in that respect

brought it up a few times. The towns need more permit based archery hunts. They have these in Oxford ms and they benefit hunters freezers and the population. The bag limits are increased with permission of the state and there's a 3 doe before a buck rule. It's so easy I can't believe we don't do more of it in NY.

to your original question? poaching is poaching. black and white.