New Trad Bow Weight

Jaeger

Well most of the action on this site has gone into 2-3 pages of replies to old posts, so I thought this would be a good time to start a new topic.

I am looking at getting a newer traditional bow this spring/summer and wanted to get your ideas of what is a practical/realistic bow draw weight for the deer we actually shoot around here.  

Not big bear, someday elk or musk ok, just our plain ole' whitetail deer.

I'm thinking something on the order of about 47lbs?

I shoot a 42 lb, at my draw length, bighorn longbow with 200 gr Elites and carbon express 90's 3 fletched.  Got plenty of does with this set up but haven't had the opportunity to take a buck with it (almost last year, but AR's got in the way).

What do you guys think is a reasonable weight for a new longbow or recurve for our deer?

I'd like to go up in  draw weight a little so the choices of arrows and broad head options are a little better.

I would think it would depend on what weight you are capable of drawing and holding . Most archers can't hold the string back for very long .

My oldest son shoots recurve and makes his own arrows . I guess I would call how he shoots as snap shooting . Draw , aim fire in one motion . No holding back for any length of time . 

It is totally and individual thing. And you can't just pick a weight because bows can vary widely in their efficiency. A good goal is to shoot the most weight that still allows you to totally control your shot. And be of legal hunting weight. I shot 52# and can shoot quickly or hold for several seconds if needed and still make a good controlled shot.

i bought a samick sage recurve w/ 60lbs limbs wow i could pull it back but my bow arm would after 4 or 5 shots push back and i would fight the bow to keep it a@ full draw so i bought 50 lbs limbs and i could shoot all day without getting fatigued i havent hunted with the bow yet but im confident within 20 yds  w/ rage broadheads it'll do the job

Well most of the action on this site has gone into 2-3 pages of replies to old posts, so I thought this would be a good time to start a new topic.

I am looking at getting a newer traditional bow this spring/summer and wanted to get your ideas of what is a practical/realistic bow draw weight for the deer we actually shoot around here.  

Not big bear, someday elk or musk ok, just our plain ole' whitetail deer.

I'm thinking something on the order of about 47lbs?

I shoot a 42 lb, at my draw length, bighorn longbow with 200 gr Elites and carbon express 90's 3 fletched.  Got plenty of does with this set up but haven't had the opportunity to take a buck with it (almost last year, but AR's got in the way).

What do you guys think is a reasonable weight for a new longbow or recurve for our deer?

I'd like to go up in  draw weight a little so the choices of arrows and broad head options are a little better.

1st off, why such a heavy broadhead?

An arrow of equal all up weight W/a lighter broadhead will penetrate just as well & will be much better balanced. A balance point as close as possible to, but not behind, the midpoint of the arrow is ideal.

As far as a heavier bow? A 42# traditional bow will penetrate well as long as the angle & placement are ideal. A little more draw weight will allow a bit more arrow mass & help on a shot that is angled from the rear which may have to cut through several ribs to enter the chest. It will also give you a increased likelihood of a pass through for better blood trails.

Something in the 47-50# range should be an easy step up. I have found that an extremely light draw weight bow can sometimes magnify any discrepancies in the release. You are shooting "fingers" right? When I shot my wife's 43# Great Plains Palo Duro recurve, I had to be careful of torquing the string on the draw/release. I didn't have such issues W/my 63# J. D. Berry Yehweh long bow.

Back to your arrows. I learned the advantage of lighter broadheads when I started shooting glue on Bear Razorheads W/swaged aluminum shafts. Eliminating the weight of the insert on the tip improved the balance & made the arrow leave the bow better.

W/a 50# draw weight you will get the best all around performance W/an all up arrow weight of at least 450-500grs. A glue on 125gr broadhead with a shaft/fletch/nock that weighs an additional 325-375gr should work out well. With an arrow, weight will always give you more penetration as long as the speed is sufficient to cast the arrow in a reasonably flat trajectory. The rule of thumb for traditional arrow weight is 9-11grs per # of draw weight.

ArcheryMagnus-1.jpg

Archery004-2.jpg

Archery002.jpg

Archery003.jpg

My oldest son shoots a 790 grain arrow . The Single Bevel glue-on broadhead weighs 190 grains . They make a THUD noise when they hit . 

I'll bet he shoots a long bow. Is he using "Rib Tech" broadheads?

I used to sell every 190gr Rib Tech I could lay my hands on at the Ocala FL Traditional shoots. The guys loved them for feral hogs.

The guys that bought them told me those heavy Rib Techs would blast through the gristle shields that the hogs had over their rib cage. They could hunt feral hogs 365 days a year.

190gr broadhead on a 790gr arrow is only 24% of the arrow weight. That would balance about like a 125gr broadhead on a 500gr arrow.

Edited by wildcat junkie

This is a pretty subjective question you have raised here. Back in my recurve days, I was hearing of guys successfully getting deer with 35# long-bows. I always thought that was a bit light. Obviously the lighter the draw weight, the more precise you need to be, and the more perfect your shot has to come off . So there always is a bit of controversy when you start talking about the minimum draw weight. So I can offer yet another subjective measure that we always used: Use the highest draw weight that you can consistently handle accurately. Always use razor sharp broadheads, and keep your shots within your proficiency range.

Those are pretty soft answers, but I don't think the answer can be stated as some text book finite number.

• Like 1

600 gr shaft with 190 gr broadhead equals 790 gr arrow. Sorry for the confusion. He shoots a Black Widow recurve.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No confusion I understood the arrow weight thing, still about the same balance as the 125/375 broadhead combo 500gr arrow. Sorry if my comments conveyed confusion. What draw weight is your sons bow? I would guess in the 65# range? Does your son shoot wood? If so I may have some shafts he could use.

The OP is using 200gr broadheads with a bow that should be shooting at the most a 450gr arrow to be efficient. That weight arrow with a 200gr broadhead would not be balanced well.

Edited by wildcat junkie

A lot of trad hunters and many compound are shooting higher foc setups.

250 gr broadheads out of 50# bows.

Getting excellent flight and penetration.

FOC (front of center) depends on arrow length in the calculation.

It is not figured just by % of broadhead weight of the total arrow weight.

If you are comfortable shooting a heavier bow I wouldn't go much over 50lbs.  There really isn't a need for it and if you over bow you will start bad habits.  With a sharp broadhead and a really well tuned bow you will be able to shoot anything in north america.  

I shot a 43 pound recurve for 5 or 6 years and had no problem getting penatration, I did see some deflection in the arrow but nothing to worry about on deer.  I only stepped up to 50 pound to flatten out my trajectory.  You will see a big difference in that with more weight.  

As for arrows on a bow you can set them up so many ways.  Heavy spines with heavy weight up front to weaken them or go light etc.  I shot 650 grn arrows out of my 43 pound recurve and now I shoot 630 grn arrows out of my 50lb bow.  

I can pretty much shoot whatever weight I want but generally stick to 48-55lbs.  Plenty for pretty much anything in NA and easy to hold forever.  I gap shoot so do hold for a while at times.  I am sure you will be fine with 47lbs if that's your preference.  I also like a lot of head weight.  All of my recurves are tuned to shoot 200g heads with 50 or 75g inserts (total weight between 575-640).  Not as flat as lighter arrows but they hit hard and fly like darts.  Plus, the bows are quiet as a mouse.

• Like 1

i can't remember if mine's 50 or 55 lbs at standard 28" draw.  it varying with draw length with each bow.  I've never actually had my draw weight measured.  i use standard 100gr heads because their easier to come by.  my insert is 100gr brass with i think a 20gr added weights inside the shaft.  finished weight i just weighed and think it was something like 587 grains.  i have wool yarn wrapped near the end loops and a set of thinner wool yarn puff balls i made.  bow is super quiet.

Wildcat Junkie, I use the 200 grain heads as that was what my carbon express 90's were matched with during bare shaft testing at the Black Widow Bow Clinic.  Why they didn't suggest the ce 75's and a lighter head I don't know, may be a total arrow weigh thing.

But as said above, the heavier head really quiets the bow down, those guy were calling my Bighorn Bow company ram hunter the "stealth Bow", Asbell really liked that since he himself built it!

Going to use their "test drive" program to see what handle style I prefer and then order a PSR (longbow handled recurve) or their PL longbow.

I use to shoot a recurve bow as well, way back when. Started out with a 45lb. Bear Kodiak Hunter, and got to learn to shoot that bow very well, instinctively. Then I made a big mistake and got a Martin Howatt Hunter 60lbs. @28". Ended up hurting my shoulder to the point of almost missing the entire season. Sold that off and ended back with a compound bow.