Proper way to draw bow to protect shoulder?

Core

What is the proper way to draw a bow? Assuming right handed shooter.

Lock left arm or very close to it before starting to draw? Or extend left while pulling right?

And where should the right elbow go; stay close to the body while drawing (similar to doing a dumb bell pull when you lean over a bench and pull a dumb bell toward you to work the lats), or before drawing move the elbow up toward the ear so that it goes up and around the shoulder?

Just looking into the best way to minimize long term damage to the shoulder. I also think exercises to the shoulder are a good idea.

Exercises are probably the most important thing you can do. I have kept two bows around for quite a few years. I usually start drawing the older one about 6 months before hunting season. I start with about 10 reps right hand, and left to maintain symmetry (I only shoot right). I do that every other day or so, and a month prior to hunting season, I am usually up to about 40 reps. My older compound has a slightly lighter peak draw weight but significantly less let-off than the newer one that I use for hunting. By the time hunting season rolls around, pulling and shooting the new one is a piece of cake. I start shooting that one on the range about a month before hunting, and scale back the exercise reps a bit. I do not stop the exercises when hunting season begins, nor do I stop the range work with the bow.

Using a real bow to condition your shoulders is the most effective way to target the right muscles. An old bow will save wear and tear on your hunting bow and are easy to find cheap at garage sales and such, if you don't already have one. Another good idea when you are out hunting in the cold is to stretch your arms on occasion, just be sure to scan the area carefully first so you don't end up spooking a deer while doing it. Finally, you can switch to a crossbow when that gets legal at the end of the season. Not only will can that completely eliminate shoulder issues but it does that at just the right time, in the colder part of the season, when shoulder injuries are more likely.

As far as the proper way to draw a bow, I have always locked the opposite elbow before drawing. If you only do this right handed, you are asking for shoulder, spine, and neck issues, as your muscles will develop asymmetrically. Getting into shape, alternating with left and right draws can help minimize that. Obviously you don't want to "dry-fire" your bow during these exercise draws. That means you more than double the workout on every draw, as the restrained limb extensions during the controlled release build up your shoulders more effectively than the compressions during the draw. Thanks for the reminder as it is almost time for me to get the old bow out and get to work.

• Like 3

I have to agree with Wolc123, drawing a bow is the best exercise.  Staying in shape and using the same muscles you use for drawing is very important.  I notice many guys who have issues drawing their bow late season stopped practicing.  Even during the season I try to practice at least 2 times a week and usually 3 times as a standard minimum. 

As some on here know I have had some issues with my neck.  Keeping in shape, staying off the dam computer and practicing along with working those muscles will keep your back and arms ready.  Sit-ups for a good core, back and arm work out to help the draw.  After doing a few months of physical therapy I though the bow poundage was lowered but it was just because my back was in better shape!   

I start my draw with the front arm extended but not locked and keep the draw hand close to my body while going to full draw.  I would keep your elbow close to your body and raise it as you come to full draw.  If you struggle to get to full draw you need to work out your back and arms more so you do not cause damage to your shoulders.  (Or low the poundage.)  Typically this is why guys hurt their shoulder because they are out of practice and have not drawn the bow in over 2 weeks or more.  ok time to hit the range!   

• Like 2

Exercises are probably the most important thing you can do. I have kept two bows around for quite a few years. I usually start drawing the older one about 6 months before hunting season. I start with about 10 reps right hand, and left to maintain symmetry (I only shoot right). I do that every other day or so, and a month prior to hunting season, I am usually up to about 40 reps. My older compound has a slightly lighter peak draw weight but significantly less let-off than the newer one that I use for hunting. By the time hunting season rolls around, pulling and shooting the new one is a piece of cake. I start shooting that one on the range about a month before hunting, and scale back the exercise reps a bit. I do not stop the exercises when hunting season begins, nor do I stop the range work with the bow.

Using a real bow to condition your shoulders is the most effective way to target the right muscles. An old bow will save wear and tear on your hunting bow and are easy to find cheap at garage sales and such, if you don't already have one. Another good idea when you are out hunting in the cold is to stretch your arms on occasion, just be sure to scan the area carefully first so you don't end up spooking a deer while doing it. Finally, you can switch to a crossbow when that gets legal at the end of the season. Not only will can that completely eliminate shoulder issues but it does that at just the right time, in the colder part of the season, when shoulder injuries are more likely.

As far as the proper way to draw a bow, I have always locked the opposite elbow before drawing. If you only do this right handed, you are asking for shoulder, spine, and neck issues, as your muscles will develop asymmetrically. Getting into shape, alternating with left and right draws can help minimize that. Obviously you don't want to "dry-fire" your bow during these exercise draws. That means you more than double the workout on every draw, as the restrained limb extensions during the controlled release build up your shoulders more effectively than the compressions during the draw. Thanks for the reminder as it is almost time for me to get the old bow out and get to work.

I know asymmetry is a problem but I had never actually thought about drawing my bow with the other hand as an exercise. It really does make sense. Going to work on that.

My main problem is that I have my bow set at 50 and I can shoot a lot of arrows without meaningfully fatiguing but I get a small pain in my shoulder after too many shots--it's a lot like a pain I had some years ago after injuring it working and I was about to PT it back to total painlessness. I can lift weights and do shoulder raises, but I can feel that tiny tweak build up after shots. It may be that I hit the bow too hard last year (went from no archery to shooting 30-40 day several days/week to build up).

That gilmore video is great, exactly what I was looking for.

I noticed cameron hanes (start of video), puts his elbow way above parallel when drawing, but that may just be his thing.

Edited by Core

IMO shooting the bow itself is the best training for muscle memory and getting form correct. Shooting the bow will help getting your body used to pivoting and keeping the front hand ( left or right ) loose so you don't torque things, and teach proper follow through. 

shoot a weight that's easy to pull in multiple ways.  then continue to shoot throughout the year enough to keep your strength up.  then draw correct, smooth, and controlled.  push and pull at the same time using arms and back muscles all in a fluid motion.  you're coming from over the top like the last portion of a pull up.  always draw perpendicular with your legs or what you're standing on.  then bend down or up to maintain form.  if not you'll pull more with one group of muscles, putting a lot of strain on them over time.

video was alright with a lot of great points.  some things i saw with bow setup I have issues with, some minor form quirks, and burying the string so deeply into his face.  just try to use all your muscles rather than relying on just some while drawing.  also stick with lesser weight enough where you never think about your bow being too hard to draw.  if you can't draw sitting down or when it's really cold you're probably shooting too much weight.

Core

In my experience, to avoid shoulder pain when shooting, keep the bow shoulder low (I set it before drawing) and draw like you are doing a one arm dumbbell row with the right hand (keep the elbow close to the body).  I prefer to draw low meaning my draw elbow does not rise above my shoulder.  It enables you to really use the back to draw and hold.  Didn't watch the video so not sure what he recommended.  Some recommend a rotational draw, but I don't like it much.

Yeah he did smush it into his face pretty well :)

I took a stretchy workout band and looped it around a shelf in the basement like that power pull above.

...and one of the bow setup things I noticed is having a nock on the top.  they come like this from the factory but it's assumed you'll change it.  tie a soft nock underneath and then use a d-loop.  this keeps slight pressure upward on the nock versus down.  this keeps consistent pressure of the arrow down onto the rest, eliminating some slight inconsistency.  less weight too for more speed.

• 2 weeks later...

At 74 I find the best way is to shoot a few arrows each day. I shoot from 15 yards out to 35 yards. I shoot 3 arrows at each mark and then walk and pull. I find that seems to keep me, so I am ready for the hunting season. I also 2 times a week shoot a 3D range I have set up around a pasture, that has 32 3D targets set up that are deer 26, turkey 2, bear 3, and a cougar on a tree branch. 

What is the proper way to draw a bow? Assuming right handed shooter.

You've missed the most important thing. Physical conditioning. Drawing bow is a particular kind of action that the body doesn't normally engage in. You are targeting and using very specific groups of muscles in a way they are not used to, by and large. If you jump in cold, there is always the risk of injury and strain. I work out regularly as a matter of course but I specifically target the bow drawing action using various levels of resistant exercise band wrapped around a support pole in my basement. The best technique needs to have the psychical support behind it to be effective.

• Like 1

I specifically target the bow drawing action using various levels of resistant exercise band wrapped around a support pole in my basement. The best technique needs to have the psychical support behind it to be effective.

X2. Papist. We agree lol. Bands are excellent way of strengthening shoulder muscles

Edited by diplomat019

Agree, stay strong year round, the benefits will far surpass shooting a bow. I never get sore when I shoot for the first time each year ( late summer ), and it's never a struggle to,draw and hold.

The shoulder is a complex joint , and one that has done in many of my co workers , I have double impingement , bone spurs and the beginning of frozen shoulder . As long as I stay strong and do my PT exercises shooting a bow is not really an issue.

In addition to shooting a bit now that the weather is better I have most days been doing--on both sides--band pulls in the basement. Stand sideways and pull it like it is a bow. I am really liking it. Last couple of sessions at the range I have not felt my shoulder at all after shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The guys form was horrendous. The bow was too long, because the bow was too long he could not release properly. Watch his hand ride up when loosing an arrow, should be straight back.

Draw length too long is not good for shoulder. Also hand did not seem rotated. Your elbow needs to be down n to the side. Not aiming straight down.

Another sure sign his grip is bad is the arm guard. Not necesary with proper grip.

Pet peeve of mine is bad information claiming to be informative.

Edited by Bowguy 1