New 2016 crossbow legislation introduced

nyslowhand

So do you think that they should go back to longbow/recurve only? 

I know you didn't ask me, but I'll give my opinion....it'll never happen but I would give up the first two weeks of archery to recurve and longbow only and then follow that with compound and crossbow season. I'd do the same with muzzleloader season, the ones now are just the same as centerfire and most better then shotguns.

• Like 2

That's a very reasonable answer to the question, which is surely why it wont happen...

not to mention that very few are willing to give an inch to gain a few yards, that want all or nothing......if that happened, I would personally adapt and learn how to use a recurve, not stomp my feet and cry because I "lost" something.

• Like 1

So, was our way of life stolen when the automobile replaced the horse and buggy? Or when airplanes made it possible to cross the oceans in a matter of hours? Or when medical advances cured polio? Would it have been better if we had just stayed where we were? Of course not. Things change and advance. We either change with the times or get left behind.

Those analogy's are ridiculous. This is a sport. A sport with seasons that each provide a different challenge. It's becoming blurred more and more in line with today's PC crowd that "Everybody gets a trophy"

Edited by skiop
  • Like 1

Those analogy's are ridiculous. This is a sport. A sport with seasons that each provide a different challenge. It's becoming blurred more and more in line with today's PC crowd that "Everybody gets a trophy"

Everyone gets a trophy? Have you tried hunting with a crossbow, I bought one ,and tried it this year , I got a doe with it and it cost me a beautiful buck I would of had with a bow. Thise shooting lanes need to be horizontal and traditional trimming of lanes and hanging stands in thick cover is a mistake.

They are front heavy,

unwieldy,clumsy, and require a large horizontal window to shoot through (guess what the woods are vertical! ) holding one up for an extended period is very hard as weight is far forward . There is a reason they use blinds in the hunting shows with crossbows so much... as fun as my experiment was I'll continue to use my bow until I can't pull it anymore. To switch to crossbow would require a lot of work to shooting lanes, stands , and general hunting practices .

What's the saying don't judge Untill you walk a mile in someone's shoes?? Try one before you think it's so easy.

Those analogy's are ridiculous. This is a sport. A sport with seasons that each provide a different challenge. It's becoming blurred more and more in line with today's PC crowd that "Everybody gets a trophy"

They were just that analogy's. Ridiculous or not. My point is that things change, weather we want them to or not. Is it always for the good, maybe not always. But like someone in this thread pointed out, should we go back to clubbing them to death, as that's how it was done "in the old days"? Of course not. The hunting seasons and the implements used in them, have been, and continue to evolve for the last one hundred years. And we will continue to nic-pic at each other over the slightest changes. I'm as conservative and traditional as they come. But I'm not naive enough to force my views on others, because that's the way I do it. So it's adapt to the changes in hunting seasons and implements or quit hunting. I'm not ready to do that yet! I've killed deer with everything from a recurve to high powered rifle. And I can assure you, the "trophies" I've gotten, were hard earned!

If it's legal I will hunt with it, in any season that it is legal do do so! And continue to adapt and kill deer. I'll let all the complainers do what they do best, while I just go hunting!

• Like 1

I have compound, crossbow and rifle as weapons of choice. No long bow or recurve and no muzzleloader. Though I prefer using crossbow over compound, I could also live with a progressive weapon season structure. Two weeks of traditional then add in compounds for the second two weeks, followed by all out archery (including crossbow) until the guns come out. I was happy with the last 14 days with crossbow. Yes, I wished for full inclusion and an earlier start. For two years I was like a kid wishing Xmas came earlier. But to be fare, that type of progressive weapon season would make sense.

I also wish they would have a 10 day January season. It would be an All Archery and Doe only season for overpopulated suburban areas. It would likely provide colder weather to bring the deer out in daylight hours and have probable snow for tracking and recovery.

Using a compound instead of a traditional bow helps many get a "trophy".

So you want traditional only?

I think x-bow should have full inclusion but x-bow hunters should not be allowed to shoot at any bucks bigger than a spike.  Isn't that what those that want them excluded are really worried about?  Its a nice compromise.  lol

Oh, by the way, since I plan to hunt only with my barebow recurve in 2016, all compound hunters should be all excluded too - or limited to spikes.  lol

Wait till I am proficient with the Atlatl.  No one will be allowed to hunt.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

That's right. I need an atlatl. The DEC will surely open an Atlatl season in late September. They have to define the regs in such a way to include simple spear for those that regard using the launching stick too modern.   LOL

• Like 2

So do you think that they should go back to longbow/recurve only? 

Too late. The genie is out of the bottle. But perhaps back when the decision was made maybe we should have had a little more foresight and addressed the issue when that choice was still feasible. Yes, in retrospect, the choices made disregarded any views off into the future as so frequently happens.

Today it is all about getting the first crack at the deer herd using whatever weapon makes it easiest. And given what the mentality has evolved into, and the effective ever increasing dropping of equipment restrictions, there really is no reason to pretend that bow season has any real restrictions required at all or any special significance that differs in any way from any other deer hunting season. And so, the DEC and other hunters see bow season as a wide open segment of the hunting year that everyone is scrambling to bulldoze their way into. The handwriting was on the wall back with the legal acceptance of the compound, but only a few could actually see it.

They were just that analogy's. Ridiculous or not. My point is that things change, weather we want them to or not. Is it always for the good, maybe not always. But like someone in this thread pointed out, should we go back to clubbing them to death, as that's how it was done "in the old days"? Of course not. The hunting seasons and the implements used in them, have been, and continue to evolve for the last one hundred years. And we will continue to nic-pic at each other over the slightest changes. I'm as conservative and traditional as they come. But I'm not naive enough to force my views on others, because that's the way I do it. So it's adapt to the changes in hunting seasons and implements or quit hunting. I'm not ready to do that yet! I've killed deer with everything from a recurve to high powered rifle. And I can assure you, the "trophies" I've gotten, were hard earned!

If it's legal I will hunt with it, in any season that it is legal do do so! And continue to adapt and kill deer. I'll let all the complainers do what they do best, while I just go hunting!

That is what is different between bowhunters. Those that first fought for a "special" bow season really enjoyed the challenge of that particular weapon. It was all about the love of the bow and the fantastic feeling of accomplishment that those unique hunters got from successfully taking on the challenge. It really was all about the bow. Now "bowhunters" are predominantly all about the kill regardless of what weapon is used. There has been an evolution of mindset more than equipment. The mentality now is, weapon be damned. Just give me a piece of that early season and whatever I can find that will whack a deer with the least amount of effort, challenge and skill. Two completely different schools of thought and attitude. And in today's technocracy, guess which one is winning out.

• Like 4

I could also live with a progressive weapon season structure. Two weeks of traditional then add in compounds for the second two weeks, followed by all out archery (including crossbow) until the guns come out.

But you know that will never happen. That would be contrary to all of today's thinking. We are in an "anything goes" kind of hunting mentality. We are more likely to see special seasons of all sorts dissolved, and any niche hunting being less and less accommodated. And maybe that's the way it should be. Maybe those old-timers that carved out a "special season" for bows only were wrong and should have known that eventually people would be coming for their special set-aside time of activity. Perhaps they should have been able to foresee the natural tendencies of people to always want what others have.

The only solution to keep peace and harmony is to dissolve all special seasons and just have one "anything goes" season. Instantly all incursions and take-overs and discord goes away. Yeah, that will be a hard-sell too ..... lol.

I think x-bow should have full inclusion but x-bow hunters should not be allowed to shoot at any bucks bigger than a spike.  Isn't that what those that want them excluded are really worried about?  Its a nice compromise.  lol

Oh, by the way, since I plan to hunt only with my barebow recurve in 2016, all compound hunters should be all excluded too - or limited to spikes.  lol

That is right. Those of you who think full inclusion of crossbows will end all the conflict had better think again. We have a lot of stuff coming downstream to supply jealousy and needs for a claim-jumping mentality. There is the atlatl, and now we have an air-bow. And the air-gun forces will be looking for inclusion as well. And of course the muzzleloaders want to shoehorn themselves into the bowhunters time-slot. And look at the poor handgun shooters they need a time to do their thing. And then there is the majority of hunters ... the rifle and shotgun shooters. I'm sure they would like their chunk of that early season. Do it for us older gunners who don't like the cold anymore or who could slip on the snow and break a hip.

We don't need all this chaos and rancor. Full inclusion for everything. No more exclusivity. No more favoritism. One season .... one set of regulations, and use whatever you want.

It's not the hunters making this decision, the dec wants deer taken to keep population in check. So they want the take increased in early season.. so easiest way to do that is get more hunters with more equipment in the field, can't draw back a bow anymore because. Your up in age ao can't stand the cold? Here I a compound or crossbow. Shoot away.

The biggest change in deer hunting is the mentality of antlers first.. got hunt early to get chance at big buck, can't shoot that doe maybe the big one is after her..

It comes down to pure numbers for the dec.. people went crazy when areas were made doe only for two weeks ,now whole areas in other states are being made doe only. I honestly believe that if bow hunters had shot doe that x bows would be a non issue. As it stands in the goals of herd management this is very good legislation and should be supported.

• Like 2

......the dec wants deer taken to keep population in check. So they want the take increased in early season.. so easiest way to do that is get more hunters with more equipment in the field, .......

Actually, the easiest way to do that is during a season where they already have the most efficient equipment to really do the job. That would be the regular gun season. If they were really serious about that little "doe only" fiasco, and if they truly wanted the doe population whacked on, they would have done the real obvious solution which would have been to devote a few days of gun season to "doe-only" harvesting.

The deer population control has absolutely nothing to do with crossbows, or bow season. I know it, you know it, and the DEC knows it too. So no, the crossbow is not the salvation of overpopulated situations or even close. However, if that is what they are pinning their hopes on, they will be real happy to start working firearms into the bow season as they are threatening. While that is something that bowhunters would really hate seeing, I do believe that that is the DEC's end game. The crossbow push by the DEC is more likely motivated as an initial interim conditioning step to break down the bowhunter resistance as they work toward the time when the mix of firearms and bows is maximized.

• Like 2

However, if that is what they are pinning their hopes on, they will be real happy to start working firearms into the bow season as they are threatening. While that is something that bowhunters would really hate seeing, I do believe that that is the DEC's end game. The crossbow push by the DEC is more likely motivated as an initial interim conditioning step to break down the bowhunter resistance as they work toward the time when the mix of firearms and bows is maximized.

I know one thing for sure.

When, and IF firearms ever find their way into early archery seasons it's going to add a new level of safety concerns in some areas while the trees are still all leafed out.

If you think that hunting related accidents are too high now.... just wait and watch them climb.

I know myself for one will feel a little uncomfortable moving around out there under those conditions.

I know one thing for sure.

When, and IF firearms ever find their way into early archery seasons it's going to add a new level of safety concerns in some areas while the trees are still all leafed out.

If you think that hunting related accidents are too high now.... just wait and watch them climb.

I know myself for one will feel a little uncomfortable moving around out there under those conditions.

I don't know. That's what they said about the youth rifle season stirred in with the early bow season, and so far, nothing has happened. But I do get your point. It could be a much more lethal thing if done on a much larger scale. However, I still avoid those days by staying home.....lol.