New 2016 crossbow legislation introduced

nyslowhand

Pretty sure similar bills were introduced in 2015. Believe they got pinned to the budget bill, stripped out and then forgotten.

Like what's introduced? Lets push our legislators to get it passed. Take 15min, find your legislator's web page & email your opinion to them! We all know who'll be lobbying against it!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

Spoke to a guy in my reps office and he said he would recomend it be supported should it make it out of committee.

Think he said it was in the enviromental committee and he wasnt part of that committee.

Edited by Vince1

It sounds like a sensible change, especially the "full inclusion" part. Allowing the crossbow to be used during the early part of archery season would be very effective at getting the doe population under control in some of the overpopulated zones where the DEC has been struggling. Eliminating the need to draw, with the deer in close, eases the task of killing a doe from a group where several sets of eyes need to be fooled. That gives the x-bow a significant advantage over a conventional bow. The silent report also gives the crossbow an advantage over a muzzleloader at that time.

Requiring the archery course to use one makes a lot of sense, since the crossbow kills the same way as a regular bow (by cutting), not by shock like a gun. The full inclusion part will likely put more hunters in the woods, especially the young, old, women and physically handicapped. It really isn't cool to discriminate against these groups as the current regulations do. Hunter numbers in NY have been falling off for a while now and this should help stem the tide of that a bit. Wanting the woods all for yourself is shortsighted when it comes to the future of our sport.

• Like 2

It sounds like a sensible change, especially the "full inclusion" part. Allowing the crossbow to be used during the early part of archery season would be very effective at getting the doe population under control in some of the overpopulated zones where the DEC has been struggling. Eliminating the need to draw, with the deer in close, eases the task of killing a doe from a group where several sets of eyes need to be fooled. That gives the x-bow a significant advantage over a conventional bow. The silent report also gives the crossbow an advantage over a muzzleloader at that time.

Requiring the archery course to use one makes a lot of sense, since the crossbow kills the same way as a regular bow (by cutting), not by shock like a gun. The full inclusion part will likely put more hunters in the woods, especially the young, old, women and physically handicapped. It really isn't cool to discriminate against these groups as the current regulations do. Hunter numbers in NY have been falling off for a while now and this should help stem the tide of that a bit. Wanting the woods all for yourself is shortsighted when it comes to the future of our sport.

For so long I was told there was no advantage...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Assembly Bill A9623 has been introduced by Assemblywoman Gunther. We now have same as bills in both houses with the Gallivan Bill S7005.

We need everyone to make phone calls to your respective legislators TODAY.

Write a letter,send an email and call your Assembly member and Senator

• Like 1

Assembly Bill A9623 has been introduced by Assemblywoman Gunther. We now have same as bills in both houses with the Gallivan Bill S7005.

We need everyone to make phone calls to your respective legislators TODAY.

Write a letter,send an email and call your Assembly member and Senator

Yea baby yea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sent an e-mail to my Senator in support of this bill last night. Hopefully we will find out in April, that it has passed, otherwise I will have to start working out with my old compound again. That will also give me plenty of time to pick out a new, higher-performance x-bow for my own use, and enable me to pass on my entry-level "two week special" to my daughter who will be "legal" if the bill passes.

• Like 1

For the Senate bill, I just did an internet search of the NY state bill number and a link to the Senate website came up. A quick site registration was required and it all took about 5 minutes. I imagine the same thing would work for the assembly bill.

• Like 2

Per the qdma meeting the DEC is in favor with you.

I don't agree with the crossbow deal (personally) but am posting that we as a group need have all things hunting in one pot. I find it so odd the DEC and legislators are different entities on the same topics with the hunter/game management group always being the low man. Then again maybe I should be thankful for that.

Also wondering if this is so desired; what would you be willing to give for it to take place? As a group we all get railroaded with new regs without review and discussion. The common goal is to increase license sales but unlike some of the candidate speak...nothing is free. Would you still push for this if it was antlerless only, 5 points per side, etc? Lots of wish listers out there and hoping you can look at it from a different angle on occasion

Edited by gjs4

Wow sweet! how to email or respond to this bill thanks

Who Are My Legislators?  

Not sure who your Assemblymember or Senator are?

Follow these links, insert your 911 physical address to find out and get their contact information.

Assembly Member Search by Address

Senator Search by Address

Hint: If you have an address that includes a State or County Route Number, try substituting Hwy for Route.

Example: instead of 1234 State Route 234, try 1234 Hwy 234

• Like 4

What would I be willing to give, to be able to hunt throughout archery season with a crossbow, and for my daughters to also be able to participate in the next several years rather than waiting until they are 16 ? Certainly some cash, probably in the neighborhood of $1000, for new equipment alone. We would likely be able to harvest enough deer, specifically antlerless ones, in the southern zones where the DEC has been struggling to get populations in check, to give some venison to the "feed the hungry" programs. I would also give some more of my time and money hunting earlier up in the cash-strapped northern zone.

I see more money poured into the state economy, more hungry folks fed healthy food, and improved control over the deer population. What I don't see is a down side. It is awesome to see the fast accelerating approach of "full inclusion", increased youth hunting, and classification of a crossbow as archery equipment.

• Like 3

I would give all the guys who think they are not bows a special finger when passed.....it shoots a arrow on a string....shouldn't be a issue

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

And it's because of you we can't have nice things