New 2016 crossbow legislation introduced

nyslowhand

I think full inclusion was prevented by a small minority of mostly 20-40 year old, male bow-hunters who were very concerned that increased hunting pressure from women, young, elderly, disabled, family men and others without a lot of extra time for practice, would infringe negatively on their own hunting experiences. Much like the REBs during the Civil War, these folks fought a courageous delaying action, but on moral grounds, they were clearly on the wrong side of the fight.

If you ever find yourself in a conflict and wonder what is the right side morally, just think "What would Jesus do ?". Hint: He died on a Cross and the side He backed has never and will never loose a conflict. The rules of man are fleeting and often riddled with mistakes, but those from up above are eternal.

I hold no grudge against these folks. I do not wish to take away their rights to use conventional archery tackle throughout archery season, even though I believe a crossbow is a significantly more effective weapon for killing deer, and antlerless ones in particular. I do believe there is more chance of wounding deer with conventional archery tackle. Although I always wish to use the most lethal, legal means to put meat in the freezer, I respect the rights of those who wish to challenge themselves a bit in order to get that done, especially if they put in the added time and effort.

Now that this temporary "civil-war" between us appears to be nearly finished, it is time for us to unite so that our hunting tradition may continue for many more generations. Giving each other the finger might not be a good way to get that done. Happy Easter to all, and Go Yankees.

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

Maybe the solution would be crossbows all seasons long for disabled, the young and the elderly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not for anyone who wants them....if I want to use one I should be able to its a perfectly lethal weapon to take big game in ny with...shoots a arrow off of a string....and is not repeatable fast....no different than a compound...instead of external release its built into the action...it's archery equipment

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Why not for anyone who wants them....if I want to use one I should be able to its a perfectly lethal weapon to take big game in ny with...shoots a arrow off of a string....and is not repeatable fast....no different than a compound...instead of external release its built into the action...it's archery equipment

My post was to propose a compromise.

Though I am now inserting my opinion. It was not my goal- only a non archer would call a crossbow a bow- a 22 short and an ar-10 both shoot bullets from a firing pin strike too

My post was to propose a compromise.

Though I am now inserting my opinion. It was not my goal- only a non archer would call a crossbow a bow- a 22 short and an ar-10 both shoot bullets from a firing pin strike too

Yep and both of them are also lethal.... but a xbow and compound stats are much much more comparable in velocity and penetration than a 22 is to a 308

• Like 1

Otherwise let's go to traditional only....period....wood arrows no release completly traditional....no tree stands no game cams no blinds other than brush blinds....

If you're really looking to get traditional, just try running them down and bashing their skull in with a rock.

I'm sick of the people that have decided their personal level of technology in weapons, is the most modern that is acceptable. According to them, everybody using anything after that is trying to destroy the sport.

• Like 2

If you're really looking to get traditional, just try running them down and bashing their skull in with a rock.

I'm sick of the people that have decided their personal level of technology in weapons, is the most modern that is acceptable. According to them, everybody using anything after that is trying to destroy the sport.

I want xbow personally I'm sick of the guys who think it's something other than archery equipment....to me they have no base to say xbow are bad unless they hunt soley traditional

Oh for crying out loud! ( Pun INTENDED! )

Is there anything bow hunters will allow in their season?

I mean seriously, what's the major argument for not allowing the crossbow during the full archery season? Like people stated, it has limbs, it has a string, you use an arrow ( a bolt is just a fancy way to say really short arrow ), the string is pulled back compressing the limbs, when shot the limbs expand forcing the string forward, hence propelling the arrow. Sounds like a bow to me.

As for hunting pressure.............Seriously? What's the difference between 100 people buying a long bow, compound, or a crossbow to hunt in your area? There isn't any! We say we want to promote hunting, but yet, most people who hunt public land think they own it and don't want anyone else in there.

I see no reason not to allow full inclusion, even in the areas they left out for now. 

• Like 2

I mean seriously, what's the major argument for not allowing the crossbow during the full archery season?

Keeping the bozo's out of the woods as long as possible. There are substantially more gun hunters than archery. Why is that? Because its much easier. The only time I have issues with trespassing and such is during gun season. Making it easier will bring out some of these same clowns during archery.  I spend as much time during gun season dealing with morons as I do actually hunting. This isn't directed at all gun hunters, but no one can say the majority of hunting related problems aren't with someone carrying a gun. This year late muzzle loading season I had some trespassing idiot line me up as he was using his scope to scan for deer.

So ya I'm all for limiting the amount of time these guys spend in the woods

Edited by skiop
  • Like 1

Keeping the bozo's out of the woods as long as possible. There are substantially more gun hunters than archery. Why is that? Because its much easier. The only time I have issues with trespassing and such is during gun season. Making it easier will bring out some of these same clowns during archery.  I spend as much time during gun season dealing with morons as I do actually hunting. This isn't directed at all gun hunters, but no one can say the majority of hunting related problems aren't with someone carrying a gun. This year late muzzle loading season I had some trespassing idiot line me up as he was using his scope to scan for deer.

So ya I'm all for prolonging the amount of time these guys spend in the woods

So, all crossbow hunters are bozo's? I am sure they will feel good about that assessment.

Poaching, it always comes back to that. It doesn't have a pile of beans to do with allowing full inclusion for the crossbow in archery season. Poachers will do what they do no matter the weapon or time of year.

What's the real gripe about allowing full inclusion of the crossbow?

As for hunting pressure.............Seriously? What's the difference between 100 people buying a long bow, compound, or a crossbow to hunt in your area? There isn't any! We say we want to promote hunting, but yet, most people who hunt public land think they own it and don't want anyone else in there.

I was also referring to the hunters ( especially bow hunters ) who complain about other people hunting or hiking on public land. Why not just be honest? Most archery hunters just don't want to share the woods. Read the threads around here. It's pretty evident.

I never want to see air guns or muzzle loaders in the bow season, but saying a crossbow isn't welcome is just being selfish. Like I said, some pretend to promote hunting, but on their terms. 

• Like 4

So, all crossbow hunters are bozo's? I am sure they will feel good about that assessment.

Poaching, it always comes back to that. It doesn't have a pile of beans to do with allowing full inclusion for the crossbow in archery season. Poachers will do what they do no matter the weapon or time of year.

I was also referring to the hunters ( especially bow hunters ) who complain about other people hunting or hiking on public land. Why not just be honest? Most archery hunters just don't want to share the woods. Read the threads around here. It's pretty evident.

I never want to see air guns or muzzle loaders in the bow season, but saying a crossbow isn't welcome is just being selfish. Like I said, some pretend to promote hunting, but on their terms.

Well said....

• Like 1

I want xbow personally I'm sick of the guys who think it's something other than archery equipment....to me they have no base to say xbow are bad unless they hunt soley traditional

I love traditional archery, & I have a lot of respect for people who hunt that way, until they start to look down on others for their choice of weapon.

I don't see anything bad about a crossbow. Just like any other weapon, it's humane as long as you practice & know your limitations.

Most of all, I like that it will get more people out there, which is very important, considering our dwindling numbers.

• Like 4

I hunt with both compound and crossbow, I have no problem with the split season myself.........I can also understand the guys who don't want full inclusion as well as understand those who do, we can't all share the same feelings.....I'll also add that I'm personally against full inclusion, but not to the point of fighting against it.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

Your reading comprehension isn't so great. I never stated crossbow hunters are bozo's. I also made no mention of poaching

So ya I'm all for limiting the amount of time these guys spend in the woods

You are correct about the poaching. It was trespassing. I do apologize.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I get the point you are making, so does everyone else. Did you read what you posted? Sure seems like you said crossbow hunters were bozo's. 

Just wondering. In that the proposed new regs. indicate crossbow will require bowhunting privilege tags. That also means those who used crossbow under muzzleloader privilege only, will now have to take an bowhunter education course to get the bowhunter privilege. Are there any of you, who purchased and used crossbow without a bowhunter privilege, that may find themselves in that predicament? 

PS:  I send messages to both my state senator and assemblyman.

Edited by RoadKill44

Just wondering. In that the proposed new regs. indicate crossbow will require bowhunting privilege tags. That also means those who used crossbow under muzzleloader privilege only, will now have to take an bowhunter education course to get the bowhunter privilege. Are there any of you, who purchased and used crossbow without a bowhunter privilege, that may find themselves in that predicament? 

PS:  I send messages to both my state senator and assemblyman.

That's a good point. 

You are correct about the poaching. It was trespassing. I do apologize.

My reading comprehension is just fine. I get the point you are making, so does everyone else. Did you read what you posted? Sure seems like you said crossbow hunters were bozo's. 

Its obviously not as I never stated what you did. Read my words that you highlighted. Its quite clear. Also  at no point did I look down on anyone choosing to use a crossbow. All I stated was it gave the bozo's another avenue to continue to be bozo's. You chose to interpret that as you did.

Edited by skiop

Its obviously not as I never stated what you did. Read my words that you highlighted. Its quite clear. Also  at no point did I look down I anyone choosing to use a crossbow. All I stated was it gave the bozo's another avenue to continue to be bozo's. You chose to interpret that as you did.

Spin it any way you want.

The bottom line is not allowing a crossbow in the archery season is just more proof that too many bow hunters have tunnel vision and really don't care about promoting hunting.

Enjoy the thread. I really was looking forward to someone explaining the truth about why you are against full inclusion for crossbows. But it's clear, there is no factual base, just opinions and personal choice.

• Like 3