New 2016 crossbow legislation introduced

nyslowhand

I got home today and checked the mail and what a surprise I received. Its a letter from my assemblyman Robin Schimminger in response to my email I sent him regarding this fight. I am pretty schocked. I think it's pretty damn cool made my day. Made me feel like we have a shot at this.

If the crossbow is listed as archery equipment why would local regulations be required? I don't know about the NYC area but the 8c allows bowhunting

The problem lies in the areas description of legal equipment, so no the state law does not lump everything as archery equipment, 8t breaks down longbow ,recurve, and compound by description and will define crossbow as well (old regs we re 17 in and 200 lbs pull..) so each case has to be done seperate.

Like most towns ban discharge of firearm.amd include bows in their descriptions as well

From the dec description of legal bow.

Legal bows include longbows or stick bows, recurve or compound bows with a draw weight in excess of 35 pounds. A legal arrowhead is non-barbed, has 2 or more cutting edges and is at least 7/8 inches wide.

So as you can see unless a crossbow is changed in description and it's made legal in all areas it does not qualify as a bow.. though it would qualify as archery equipment .

One step at a time...

Edited by G-Man

Roadkill. I know the legislation remove draw weight and tip to tip dimensions too but in the current regs are there any cross bows that make that 400 FPS or come close? I don't have one and probably won't. just curious. 

I honestly don't know the answer to that. I do know there were a lot of crossbows boasting 380 fps but even those I wasn't paying attention to draw weight. There were probably a few under 200Lb. draw. I heard about a 400fps that just came out recently (last November). But again, not sure of the draw weight.

I have a chronograph and know my Sryker gets 349 fps. I jokingly complained to the shop where I bought it because it's advertised as 350fps. 

It's only a 125lb.draw and with the cocking aid I'm only lifting 60 pounds with two hands. That was a consideration at age 69 when I bought it.

My reason for going crossbow was the result of a shoulder pop pulling back on a 50 lb. draw bow. I now have a draw lock essentially turning my bow into a vertical crossbow. That feature also allows me to crank the limbs up to 60Lb. draw.  I haven't put it on the chronograph but I know it was 217fps at 50 Lbs.

I did a little research. There's a Mission crossbow with 400fps at 200Lb draw and a Branett Ghost crossbow with 400fps at 185Lb draw.

Oh yes. another self injury safety issue with crossbows. Imagine yourself drawing that 200Lb draw with a hand cocking aid. The actual lift is only 100Lbs. with two hands. Got that picture.

Now lift and straighten your back and, just as the string is one inches short of latching into the release, the cocking stirrup slips off the toe of your muddy slippery boot.

Anyone need another picture?

Edited by RoadKill44
  • Like 2

Give your insight on why it was created

As with any youth season, it offers them an introduction to the outdoors no matter what they're hunting.... or what weapon they're hunting with.

The "WHO" they are hunting with is what it really boils down to, for me at least and opens the door to generations to come.

That's where the impressions are left.

We don't all leave footprints behind us, but those that do, like to look back at them sometimes as others follow in our footsteps.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 1

I have the mission mxb 400. lighted scope with crosshairs from 20-100yrds. Puts my Mathews chill to shame. Accident with crossbows seemed to happen with earlier models of all types by people not paying attention to their fingers on the shooting rails.experienced hunter in our group almost lost a couple digits. On the older models ther wasn't the safety block built into the stock. Believe there's a couple lawsuits on that. I'm all for full inclusion but probably because I've always had the pleasure of hunting vast amounts of private land. Public I wouldn't be. It will bring out vast amounts of people that never archery hunted. If you don't believe this go to Dicks or similar anytime after October first and see the characters buying them up. Not exactly the type of people that bow hunt

Edited by Jason118

If you don't believe this go to Dicks or similar anytime after October first and see the characters buying them up. Not exactly the type of people that bow hunt

I'll bet the same could be said for sales of  compound bows just prior to, or right at that time of year.

Heck.., gun sales SKY ROCKET just weeks and days before opening day as most of us know.

I wouldn't judge hunter competency  on when they choose to buy their weaponry.... no matter what weapons they decide to purchase, at whatever time of year.

It's not too terribly hard to get any modern day weapon dialed in, in no time flat!

• Like 1

You can tell pretty darn quickly listening into a conversation if a person buying a crossbow is a archery hunter or not. I'm just saying that dedication one has to archery hunting will not carry over for the majority of crossbow in a full inclusion season and that's what you will have rambling threw the woods during the season. The guys I hunt with are all great bow hunters and own crossbows. Your average crossbow hunter will not be that type of hunter anymore. But hey it's only my opinion

• Like 1

You can tell pretty darn quickly listening into a conversation if a person buying a crossbow is a archery hunter or not. I'm just saying that dedication one has to archery hunting will not carry over for the majority of crossbow in a full inclusion season and that's what you will have rambling threw the woods during the season. The guys I hunt with are all great bow hunters and own crossbows. Your average crossbow hunter will not be that type of hunter anymore. But hey it's only my opinion

I don't think there is any one set of attitudes or features of a crossbow hunter that applies to all owners of a crossbow. Just like any of us, we're all individuals. Anything that you may think is characteristic of all crossbow hunters is bound to have plenty of exceptions within some individuals. But sometimes it is interesting to contemplate why the sudden interest in alternative weapons in bow seasons. Like I say there is no one answer for all, but some of the potential motives do say a lot about where the sport is heading.

I have the mission mxb 400. lighted scope with crosshairs from 20-100yrds. Puts my Mathews chill to shame. Accident with crossbows seemed to happen with earlier models of all types by people not paying attention to their fingers on the shooting rails.experienced hunter in our group almost lost a couple digits. On the older models ther wasn't the safety block built into the stock. Believe there's a couple lawsuits on that. I'm all for full inclusion but probably because I've always had the pleasure of hunting vast amounts of private land. Public I wouldn't be. It will bring out vast amounts of people that never archery hunted. If you don't believe this go to Dicks or similar anytime after October first and see the characters buying them up. Not exactly the type of people that bow hunt

This new bill mandates a bow course so all those that bought on e still must have course or previous bow licence.

The whole any brown and down hunter will buy one and be out there is done...that alone is enough reason to have this bill pass

• Like 2

Don't you think that a couse will weed out some current crossbow users and educate them on what to expect when using on in the field, arc of bolt,arrow, safe distances to shoot? Even if they take and pass couse and try 100 yard shots in the woods don't you think clanging arrows off twigs and limbs will discourage a lot? I know in ohio, after the initial buy and use of crossbows, there were a lot that went up for sale used!!

Creating more ethical hunters thru a mandatory course is a good thing. Our numbers are dwindling. ....

• Like 3

As with any youth season, it offers them an introduction to the outdoors no matter what they're hunting.... or what weapon they're hunting with.

The "WHO" they are hunting with is what it really boils down to, for me at least and opens the door to generations to come.

That's where the impressions are left.

We don't all leave footprints behind us, but those that do, like to look back at them sometimes as others follow in our footsteps.

They didn't extend the length deer season for this. It's not as if they created a dedicated a time frame for youths only which is what they should do if it's truly about the kids.  For some reason(lack of license sales) they felt there was a need to create an incentive for someone to take a youth hunting. Why is it they put this incentive outside of the normal gun season?  They obviously felt this would entice more participation due to not infringing on someone's current gun season

They didn't extend the length deer season for this. It's not as if they created a dedicated a time frame for youths only which is what they should do if it's truly about the kids.  For some reason(lack of license sales) they felt there was a need to create an incentive for someone to take a youth hunting. Why is it they put this incentive outside of the normal gun season?  They obviously felt this would entice more participation due to not infringing on someone's current gun season

I don't agree. I believe their intention was to have it in better weather and in a setting where the deer were more calm. 

• Like 4

I don't agree. I believe their intention was to have it in better weather and in a setting where the deer were more calm. 

not to mention there are plenty of guys who use this opportunity to take out kids who aren't even theirs to go hunting......whether the kids come from non hunting households or maybe just nobody around to take them, not everything has a selfish, "I don't want to take my kids out any other time of the year" attitude about it. I think it's great.

• Like 3

not to mention there are plenty of guys who use this opportunity to take out kids who aren't even theirs to go hunting......whether the kids come from non hunting households or maybe just nobody around to take them, not everything has a selfish, "I don't want to take my kids out any other time of the year" attitude about it. I think it's great.

Back to my point that time frame was already available to take a kid hunting

I think the biggest thing with the youth hunt is being able to get them out before 100000 guns are in the woods....especially if have to hunt stateland...some mom's are really paranoid bc they don't know any better...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

remember the year that was implemented? All the doom and gloom talk about ruining bow season and all the deaths of bow hunters that were going to occur?

• Like 2

Also found that if you take a youngen out in warmer,drier weather,you stand a better chance of them wanting to continue. I know! we're dealing with a brand new breed of youngens.

• Like 1

My oldest son takes his kids ( one at a time ) during gun season when it is snowing and blowing . They either sit in a blind or in the tree house in Italy Valley .

I think letting kids hunt with a gun during bow season because they can hunt in warm weather is a joke . I don't know any other fathers that take their kids out during gun season , when it is colder ,  because it might spoil dad's chance of shooting the big wall hanger .

If the kid doesn't shoot a deer during the Columbus Day weekend does he / she get a Participation Trophy ? 

My oldest son takes his kids ( one at a time ) during gun season when it is snowing and blowing . They either sit in a blind or in the tree house in Italy Valley .

I think letting kids hunt with a gun during bow season because they can hunt in warm weather is a joke . I don't know any other fathers that take their kids out during gun season , when it is colder ,  because it might spoil dad's chance of shooting the big wall hanger .

If the kid doesn't shoot a deer during the Columbus Day weekend does he / she get a Participation Trophy ? 

my son went with me from the age of about 8-10 through all types of weather, didn't need a youth hunt to take him...but when they made one, we took full advantage....and yeah, he still went during the regular season.

• Like 1