Anti xbow question

stoneam2006

I just don't want people who shoot guns thinking the xbow is an in to get a deer early. Everyone needs to understand that it's not a gun you can't take 60 yard shots out of the box and it should be required to have an archery course if you are hunting in archery season.

Yes and that's a valid point but I do believe the new legislation requires a bow course now. So that should help teach those concerns

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

We all pay the same for the tags to hunt. As long as we stay within the law. The choice of what we hunt with should be our own. I don't really care what another hunter decides to hunt with. And I don't want someone telling me what I can or cannot use. Besides selfishness, I see no other reason to not have full inclusion for crossbow.

• Like 4

You can't ask for an opinion, then get one and tell me it's wrong. But yes if the "competition" is wounding and spooking deer then yes that's what I mean. It's a quiet peaceful time in the woods with deer traveling naturally. Of course I don't want a target buck on edge. There is no debate that the archery hunter is a more dedicated, harder working hunter. He HAS to be.

And what's stopping a non-disabled crossbow hunter from hunting with a compound like the rest of us?

This bill eliminate your fear, a archery course required to use crossbow. Isn't that the ethical way of learning how and when to shoot a deer with a cutting edge on the end of a shaft.

Long shots can be posted of crossbow and bow at a target and even at game in an open field , the range most game is taken is still 50 yards and in even with gun that let's you shoot 500 yards or more, yes some will take longer shots, I've taken 65 yards shots and killed deer in an open field. Does it mean I shoot that in the woods ? My average kill range for deer is 22 yards.. including my long shots..an educational course that teaches ethics and proper placement of arrow is exactly what this bill is about, earning them the right to have full inclusion.

I do not think anything will change your mind, doom and gloom x bows will bring.. it's your opinion and your entitled to it , but this bill eliminates your doom and gloom senerios.

• Like 2

Want....I and many of us WANT to hunt with a xbow and it should be our choice....

There are a whole bunch of rifle and shotgun hunters who WANT to force themselves into bow season also. Should they too be allowed into bow season simply because they want to? Should that be their choice?

Ask Doc, he'll tell you.

You bet, I have answered this question so many times that there really doesn't seem to be any reason to repeat myself. And never any rebuttal because no one can refute what I am saying. 

Back in the days when it still mattered and could have made a difference, I was on the wrong side of the compound issue. I was for inclusion of compounds. Like the majority back then, I was not listening to those who claimed that mechanizing bowhunting was setting some precedents that would eventually lead to a changing of bow season to the point where the title "bow season" would lose all meaning and identity. So now we sit back with a little history at hand to provide proof that their fears have been borne out. I can now say that I was wrong and they were absolutely right. The compound did indeed form the precedent for the crossbow. No question about that now. We watched all the pro-crossbow arguments and if anyone was paying attention, "precedent" was always the trump card.

And here we are, beginning chapter 2. What will the crossbow be the precedent for as we continue to de-archery bow season. Oh, we have plenty of things coming at us. Already on the horizon is air-guns and air-bows and anything else that technology can dream up. Lines have been so blurred that now the DEC threatens to add muzzleloaders into the season as though it no longer matters that firearms are being introduced. We have rifles already introduced and intermixed into a couple of days of bow season. And why not. That change already has been added to the growing list of precedents. As lines get more and more smudged, the differences between archery seasons and gun seasons get less and less defined. Bow hunting is being evolved right out of existence as more and more people begin to ask, "what is really the reason for a 'special season' and 'special regulations' for weapons that don't really need it anymore?" Is there any reason for special seasons? More and more people are beginning already to ask that question, and perhaps rightly so. Special seasons? ... special rules? is that getting to be an obsolete idea? At one time bow season was a rather benign low impact form of hunting that drew little attention. The idea of some special seasons and rules actually had some necessity and justification. That necessity is being erased a piece at a time ..... one precedent at a time.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

There are a whole bunch of rifle and shotgun hunters who WANT to force themselves into bow season also. Should they too be allowed into bow season simply because they want to? Should that be their choice?

No - I'll repeat:

2 seasons.

ALL bows - recurve, lb, compound and crossbow - in bow season.

All guns - modern, muzzle loader and air (big game)in regular.

It really is that simple.

• Like 1

Doc said,

"More and more people are beginning already to ask that question, and perhaps rightly so. Special seasons? ... special rules? is that getting to be an obsolete idea? At one time bow season was a rather benign low impact form of hunting that drew little attention. The idea of some special seasons and rules actually had some necessity and justification. That necessity is being erased a piece at a time ..... one precedent at a time."

=============================================

Back in the day special seasons were granted and put into place for bow and muzzleloader hunters because it was supposed to be hard. The thing is people always find ways of getting an edge and getting it approved and legalized for their genre.

With the Archery recurves went to compounds with less and less effort needed to draw them back, finger tabs to mechanical release, wood arrows to fiberglass to aluminum to carbon fiber. Arrow speeds have basically doubled.

Muzzleloaders were sidelock primitives firing a patched round ball. Went from there to firing conical type, to inline rifles to sabots to modern jacketed bullets to black powder substitutes  to smokeless powder. Muzzleloaders today can virtually duplicate the ballistics and range  of a cartridge gun.

The way it looks to me is it is all about money, some greed and not about being hard anymore, there is some kind of a special season going from September till January and for each one it will cost you.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

That's the point

Some people just can't see that Stone. Let them have their little tantrums, because you're never going to persuade them. It's irrelevant anyway, because it's not IF crossbows get inclusion, it's WHEN.

• Like 4

ive always been against x-bows, up until last fall. I'm not against them, but I have zero interest in them whatsoever. At first it was the simple fact that they were easier to use than a compound or recurve, for the reason of there not being as big of an issue with proper form, anchor points, consistently practicing like there is with stick and string archery. I've noticed it all boils down to the person firing the weapon. I guarantee I can out shoot many people with my Mathews and somebody else using their x-bow. It may be a easier and possibly more "ethical" way of harvesting but the odds are basically the same as a compound( given we are all true sportsman and we practice and practice more).. 

I actually heard of more deer lost to x-bows in and around camp this past fall, due to people thinking they are guns that shoot "arrows" or "bolts" and can sling them 70-80 yards through the woods.. wounding the animal and never retrieving it. 

But "making x-bows legal for all of deer season", as long as this doesn't open a door to have early ML seasons or ML's mixed in with Archery equipment. I will not stand for that. i dont see much of an issue. Id prefer it to stay the way it is, but im not really against full inclusion anymore, as long as the guns stay in gun season and not during or before Archery...   

• Like 2

just because someone is not for something, doesn't necessarily mean they're against it.........there's tons of stuff that isn't for me, but I could care less if someone else wants to do it. I won't fight for that cause, but won't stand in its way either.  

• Like 6

Want....I and many of us WANT to hunt with a xbow and it should be our choice....

And your reason was nothing more than trying to belittle xbow hunters and that's all....

Edit....I'm my opinion archery hunting is easier the weapon is not but the hunt itself is....deer are patterned easily then the rut is on....and no gun shot spooking them off....I see way way more deer during archery than I do during gun. So saying archery hunters have to be more dedicated is not true either....they just have to make sure they hit their mark

Bahaha, yeah getting a deer within 30 yards unwinded, drawing without being seen and finding a clear lane are a walk in the park.

Far easier than gun for sure.

• Like 1

As far as wounding, give me a break. Any weapon can be efficient when wielded by a hunter who has put in the time to learn it. Just like any weapon can wound when used by a hack. There's dbags out there who shoot too far, too late, too early, through brush, etc etc, no matter what weapon they hold.

Thanks for reiterating my point. I've witnessed first hand a guy buy a crossbow at dicks the night before the opener and wanted something he could "use in the morning"

It's the hunter, not the weapon.

• Like 2

We all pay the same for the tags to hunt. As long as we stay within the law. The choice of what we hunt with should be our own. I don't really care what another hunter decides to hunt with. And I don't want someone telling me what I can or cannot use. Besides selfishness, I see no other reason to not have full inclusion for crossbow.

So by that logic I should be able to use a pellet gun, .22, 3 blade rage heads?

Thanks for reiterating my point. I've witnessed first hand a guy buy a crossbow at dicks the night before the opener and wanted something he could "use in the morning"

It's the hunter, not the weapon.

I've seen that with guns, too & I know guys who've gone out with their compounds that were nowhere near ready. You can't fix stupid.

• Like 1

Im kind of on the fence with the whole xbow thing. But, other than some kind of physical disability, why do you xbow hunters prefer them over a long bow or compound ????

Same reason I choose a sidelock over an inline. Same reason I drive a pickup instead of a car. Because I like it. It's what makes me enjoy my hunt the most. I'm skilled with my compound, but I like my crossbow. That's the only reason I need. Beyond that it's nobody's business.

Everyone is so concerned with what everyone else is doing.

• Like 1

So by that logic I should be able to use a pellet gun, .22, 3 blade rage heads?

"As long as we stay within the law"  I don't think those choices are. And again, I respect "your choice" to hunt with whatever you like, however you like. As long as it's legal, it's all good!

• Like 1