Live from the turkey woods 2016

turkeyfeathers

Giving day #10 a whirl. It was like a game of frogger on my hour drive. Dodging deer , coon , fox and then 2 litters of fox pups within a mile of one another. Little ones scurrying all over the place. I do believe 2 longbeards daughter and I had in field during youth hunt are silent as group of 4 jakes have put a whompin on them. Well it sounds good on paper. Let's see what today brings ...

dang, think I saw the reason of scurrying fox pups looking disoriented the other morning. And now thinking both groups were from same litter. Saw mama squashed on the side of the rode this morning in exact spot between where I saw "2" litters. Hope little ones make it without mama around or they easily will become coyote fodder. They were pretty cute.

Lawd, you want to play golf tomorrow?

I'd LOVE to but I have a date to kill a gobbler in the morning.

We need to visit my friend Jay at the Golf Dome on Wherle.  He hunts turkey also but will hook us up with some free range time as I think he is getting burned out too............................... :)

I'd LOVE to but I have a date to kill a gobbler in the morning.

We need to visit my friend Jay at the Golf Dome on Wherle.  He hunts turkey also but will hook us up with some free range time as I think he is getting burned out too............................... :)

Stop on in . If you don't see me posting on Live from the woods I should be here .

I just bumped a hen off a nest with about 12 eggs. I was within 20 feet of her, when she flushed & scared the hell out of us. Feel kinda bad. Does anybody know if they come back after that?

She def will ... Last spring around this time I spooked a hen off her nest walking out , she had burrowed herself under a thick grass/brush pile that sits right next to my entry n exit point to the woods , n wouldn't you know it she scared the crap outa me the following morning at o' dark thirty in the same spot , had to find a new place to get in n out as not to bother her anymore ...

• Like 1

Any gobbles tday fellas? Turkey feathers you out? Here is the calm overcast day I've been waiting for n I have to work this morning .... Who works on a Saturday , seriously ... Good luck to all that are out ...! Times winding down , get er done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any gobbles tday fellas? Turkey feathers you out? Here is the calm overcast day I've been waiting for n I have to work this morning .... Who works on a Saturday , seriously ... Good luck to all that are out ...! Times winding down , get er done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

got that work thing today Looks like a nice morning and today was probably my day , lol. Hunted last 4 in a row. Tuesday will be next outing. Good luck everyone out today. Hope they turn on for ya. Edited by turkeyfeathers

I hunted Arcade this morning. Worked a bird for thirty minutes.....he was probably 125 yards or so away, JUST over the edge and I was hesitant to get closer. He finally went what seemed like 150 yards further up the ridge and that afforded me the opportunity to move in. im not sure what happened........I wasn't THAT close that he should have heard me but the woods are especially dry right now there and he clammed up. Probably 5 minutes later he gobbled way down the valley. I crow called and he'd gobble every time. He refused my hen calls and last I heard him he'd crossed the hardtop road and was a good 600 yards away.

Good times!!

• Like 3

I guess I can't complain.......today was my 7th day hunting and I've worked birds 5/7 days and only had one day that I didn't hear anything.  My biggest complaint is the wake up call from the front desk when I hunt Canadice. 

Then there's the hills............................ :(

Arcade is pancake flat compared to Canadice. :)

I thought you had a camp up this way?

No I don't own a place, I stay with my friend who lives in Canadice. Lots of times I just drive down first thing in the morning for hunting then stay a night or three. For spring gobbler I need to be up and out of bed by 3:00am and be on the road by 3:30 to make it by 5am. If I hunt Arcade, I get up at 3:30 to leave by 4-4:10am. Wow what a luxury I can sleep in 30 minutes. :)

Come fall hunting seasons, things get much better even though I have to deal with daylight savings.

• Like 1

I thought you had a camp up this way?

I think I should have left a smiley face after the "front desk wake up call" comment, I was only joshing on that. I just hate when the alarm goes off on my phone........!!

I don't need to get a motel in Ontario or Livingston County, for now. :)

• Like 1

I guess I can't complain.......today was my 7th day hunting and I've worked birds 5/7 days and only had one day that I didn't hear anything. My biggest complaint is the wake up call from the front desk when I hunt Canadice.

Then there's the hills............................ :(

Arcade is pancake flat compared to Canadice. :)

Tell me about it , I've been hunting Zoar valley ... I've hunted canadaway too n that's a little steep too ...

It's up at 2:30 for me to go to camp.I have to shower and gear up before leaving so I stay awake...such a boring drive on a winding 2 lanes. One year I'll talk them into opening the water to camp early...wink

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1