I hated to do it, BUT

Pygmy

Mowing for the first time tomorrow. Currently my daughter is on doggie doodie patrol. Best $10 ever spent .

When I was a kid we had a reel type mower.  And a healthy black lab. :)

I hated shoveling dog turds up so learned to mow with one had on the mower and walked off to the side.  Nice...........

I enjoy mowing and take pride in my yard. Always try to beat the neighbors lol. Haven't mowed yet this year, probably Saturday.

These are from last year.

May 2015

3061ced564e68f2d76adc512a23558da.jpg

August 2015

acbe70da84f7765f9683c61a11d9f2aa.jpg

This year I bought some sprinklers since last summer we had a bit of a drought. This year I'll be more prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't love mowing but it's pretty satisfying drinking a beer on the porch looking at it afterwards

Same here. Same with fertilizing, edging, trimming…. But I love looking at that dark green perfect looking lawn afterwards . It got to the point where I hardly ever make my son do it anymore, and I cringe when the wife does it. They set the mower deck too low, miss spots, mow in the wrong direction, leave clippings all over the driveway …I could go on and on….They just don't get it..

• Like 1

Same here. Same with fertilizing, edging, trimming…. But I love looking at that dark green perfect looking lawn afterwards . It got to the point where I hardly ever make my son do it anymore, and I cringe when the wife does it. They set the mower deck too low, miss spots, mow in the wrong direction, leave clippings all over the driveway …I could go on and on….They just don't get it..

is that like when my wife asked me to do laundry once many years ago. I messed it up and she's never asked me to do it again. My stupidity was in hindsight sheer genius
  • Like 1

is that like when my wife asked me to do laundry once many years ago. I messed it up and she's never asked me to do it again. My stupidity was in hindsight sheer genius

A man after my own heart, TF..All I had to do was shrink ONE of her favorite blouses and I no longer had to worry about laundry duty..

• Like 1

Once a week, I get an opportunity to ride around in circles in total relaxation, relieving stress, all by myself solving all the worlds problems. It is a bit therapeutic ..... lol. Of course, on occasion, that zero-turn mower can be a bit of a carnival ride. The thing is actually fun to bomb around in, seeing how fast I can zip around the trees and other obstacles. I'm getting pretty good. I haven't taken out a shrub in a couple of years.....lol.

• Like 2

I finally gave up doing the lawn and hired it out... a good rider is at least $4000, plus gas, weed eater, maintenance and time away from other things I'd rather be doing ... I can pay a guy $400 a season for 10 years and still be ahead of the game. Use to like cutting the grass, but I'd rather be at camp or fishing than home cutting the grass these days.

• Like 1

Lawn work is therapy for me. Time on the mower with tunes, sun and the smell of fresh cut grass? Instant gratification? Surprised to hear the hatred from outdoorsman.

I used to enjoy it when I had the time to spare. Nowdays I just dont, and it has become something that sucks up time I really could be using doing something constructive instead of riding around burning gas for a couple of hours at a crack. It has nothing to do with hating being outside or anything like that.

• Like 3

I enjoy mowing and take pride in my yard. Always try to beat the neighbors lol. Haven't mowed yet this year, probably Saturday.

These are from last year.

May 2015

3061ced564e68f2d76adc512a23558da.jpg

August 2015

acbe70da84f7765f9683c61a11d9f2aa.jpg

This year I bought some sprinklers since last summer we had a bit of a drought. This year I'll be more prepared.

get a sprinkler system installed....you'll be glad you did.

I've thought about it, but I only have a 1/2 acre and the pool takes a bunch of space. What do you think it would cost?

roughly $2000ish.......pretty sure they can do it without you even knowing they did it as far as messing the existing lawn up.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Just bought the honey pie a new mower yesterday. The one she had was too old and always was a pain to start, besides never run right even after taking it in to get looked at.

Sooo, a brand new "Red Toro", after taking it through it's paces yesterday, now sits in her shed!!! Told her it was an early Xmas present!!! :cheese: 

• Like 1

i thought it'd be cool to have a big lawn nice looking lawn.  had a fallow field on either side of the house when I bought it.  removed the trees from one of them and turned it into more lawn.  other field I mow around the trees with the tractor and heavy duty belly mower or the bush hog once fawning season is over.

now I spend an hour every week mowing the lawn and make payments every month on a zero turn mower.  wife likes the 2.5+ acres striped too.  I truly think it's a burden but don't want it to go back to what it was.  some of you sub-urban folks might not understand.  the struggle is real.

• 5 weeks later...

"Working from home" today. Fresh haircut for the backyard.

634050c7f56c8c4b7083336fa5a9114e.jpg

Frontyard has come a long way. Top is April 10th when I tore it apart to make it look better. Bottom is today. It's come a Long way in a month.

8f4a4405932751cdc0974ee0e05a034e.jpg

Thanks to most of my neighbors have weeds and dandelions, they help my yard look even better in person!

Its looking good. should fill in nice. 

Put your weed block down as late as you can stand it. Mid to late November. The weeds will store it in their system and never bloom in the spring. Most people think you put weed block down when you see weeds, in the spring/summer…..Wrong…. My lawn is the only one in the neighborhood with out a single dandelion or weed on it, every spring...

• Like 1