Lollipop method

Bowguy 1

How many guys sight this way and why wouldn't you? If someone doesn't understand it's basically using the 12 o clock position of the pin n your arrow hits just above that point in order not to cover what you're shooting at. Imo it's a better method.

its like using iron sights on a firearm.

• Like 2

I do the same as Grampy for iron sights, not sure why but more natural for me. That is why my father and I hit the target so far from each other he uses the lollipop and don't I usually hit 3" high using iron sights on his gun. Bow wise we pretty much shoot the same fraction of an inch.

Edited by chas0218

to actually help you dial-in bow sight pins better it's easier to take a level and draw vertical lines for sighting in left to right and horizontal line for sighting in elevation.  you'll have better follow through and an idea of how much to "chase" your arrow group versus aiming and trying to hit a spot.  center of the blurry blob that is the pin should be centered on the spot I'm sharply focused on and aiming at upon release.  that's what I do.

Another interesting trick since follow through was mentioned n this may help new shooters or particularly parents teaching kids.

Children tend to think differently, the way I teach classes is as the bow jumps at the shot the last thing done is put the bow back on target. Kind of forces follow through n it's easy to do

Edited by Bowguy 1
  • Like 1

to actually help you dial-in bow sight pins better it's easier to take a level and draw vertical lines for sighting in left to right and horizontal line for sighting in elevation.  you'll have better follow through and an idea of how much to "chase" your arrow group versus aiming and trying to hit a spot.  center of the blurry blob that is the pin should be centered on the spot I'm sharply focused on and aiming at upon release.  that's what I do.

Never tried this but I'll give it a shot this year. I usually shoot 1 arrow then 3 more but aim for the nock of the first arrow. If they hit left, right, high or low I adjust the sight accordingly usually elevation then windage.

Never tried this but I'll give it a shot this year. I usually shoot 1 arrow then 3 more but aim for the nock of the first arrow. If they hit left, right, high or low I adjust the sight accordingly usually elevation then windage.

going along with this method is walk back tuning for broadheads and to get your center shot perfect.  then if you really have time slight tweaks to your vertical rest adjustment might tighten or open up groups.  none of that will show up by just paper tuning your bow setup to shoot a "bullet hole" through paper.  the premise with using a leveled line versus a dot is you only have to care about and focus on 1 thing versus 2.  sighting in a usually dial in elevation first but for tuning I do centershot first.

Setting the pins at the 25-35-45 etc. makes it easy for me to shoot with no "target panic" when sighting in at 10-20-30 etc.  The only time I have to put the pin dead on is at any 25,35 etc range which in most shooting is not that often.  I put the pin just below or high where I want to hit. 

Even after dry firing my bow at the R100 last weekend,(Thankfully the string was new and held together!)  I was still able to manage a 1005 for 2 days of shooting, took me a few shots to get the peep lined up again and I was a little on edge after 1 hour sleep the night before.   Fun weekend.  464 N. American and 541 S. African

I guess I like loolipop shooting because like stated before you are not covering the target unless they are 25,35 etc yards which I find in most shooting is rare and because it is rare when I have to do it I do not panic because it's not done that way often as having them on 20-30-40 50 etc. 

• Like 1

So true but when you shoot the way we are talking about all the time you really do not think about which pin and where you just do it same as putting the pin on a spot.  My 30 yard shot is about 1.3 inches low on the target with my 35 pin.  I do it so often target shooting that its second nature now.   Difference between an adjustable and a fixed bow sight. 

Id rather aim dead on because its one less thing to worry about. When you have adrenaline pumping through your body, you don't think as clearly and you might end up missing because of that. 

• Like 1

So true but when you shoot the way we are talking about all the time you really do not think about which pin and where you just do it same as putting the pin on a spot. My 30 yard shot is about 1.3 inches low on the target with my 35 pin. I do it so often target shooting that its second nature now. Difference between an adjustable and a fixed bow sight.

Well when you practice like that, I'm sure it becomes like second nature. Personally me I like to keep everything as simple as possible. Maybe I'll try it in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just remove all of the pins. Then its like throwing a baseball. Isn't that what they all say? lol I guess I use this method with the recurve since I aim using a gap. But with the compound, I am with Grampy. Pin on!

With this method it is still pin on you are just choosing what hair you want on the leading edge of the pin instead of covering the group of hairs with the pin. Realistically it is not a huge difference at hunting ranges with archery equipment, at 100 yards a.19 pin covers half of a deer.

going along with this method is walk back tuning for broadheads and to get your center shot perfect.  then if you really have time slight tweaks to your vertical rest adjustment might tighten or open up groups.  none of that will show up by just paper tuning your bow setup to shoot a "bullet hole" through paper.  the premise with using a leveled line versus a dot is you only have to care about and focus on 1 thing versus 2.  sighting in a usually dial in elevation first but for tuning I do centershot first.

Most of the time I paper tune then take one of my arrows with BH and shoot it at all distances. If I hit where I am aiming I know I'm good. The last time I shot 2 BH arrows into the target it cost me the arrrow I hit along with the nock and the BH on the other arrow. I don't do that anymore.

Edited by chas0218