No more smoking in City parks and beaches.

First-light

I do not smoke, but I think this is a perfect example of the government moving towards an unpopular, or unconstitutional, objective with baby steps.

They start off with what most people consider a "reasonable" infringement on a perfectly legal activity, then step by step, they eliminate the activity all together.  Remember how seat belt laws started as "advisories"?

Can you see the parallel to gun control laws here?

Be careful when the government asks you to accept any limitation on your freedom.  History proves that is never the limit they expect you to accept in the end.

What are they gonna dream up next ?

I quit smoking back in the 80's.  If people want to smoke, I don't care. I don't criticize them.                   

But, really what's next ?  No more drinking coffee ?  No more doughnut shops ? 

No more kids toys with there meals, cause it makes them fat ?

No more beer, cause it makes people watch football ? 

I quit smoking cigarettes in the 80's .. but i love a good cigar... the government seems to forget who pays for those parks and beaches... some of those tax payers are smokers..... private entities should be able to ban whatever they like. But, until they make smoking illegal I would think that smoking in a publically funded areas (especially outdoor areas) should be legal. It all started with the ban on smoking in a bar or restaurant... where the government told a private business owner that people could not smoke in HIS establishment.

I am a smoker...though I'm on my 4th attempt at quitting..... I only smoke outside and in the car....I'm fine with Theban on smoking in public buildings... I Never smoked in a restaurant even when we could or my own home but banning smoking in parks..... I think that's going to far.

You know what's really amazing is that the government doesn't have the nerve to simply declare tobacco an illegal drug. Instead they go through all this devious nonsense of harrassment and financial punishments trying to further their experiment in human behavior modification through taxation and harrassment. What is frightening is just how perfectly those tactics are working. The success that they have had with tobacco has worked so perfectly, that there is no reason to suspect that it will not be repeated on other citizen activities. What is even more amazing is all the cheering and celebrating that goes on from the citizenry when this government tactic is used. Let's see how popular this sort of behavior modification is when they start working on other things that they feel are social problems, like perhaps obesity.

I too am an X smoker,But I do enjoy a cigar.I know this is smoking,But I smoke in my car or in my garage.Or on the deck at night.Anyway I think this is crazy.And I hate to think whts next.

I could never stand the smell of a cigar and wondered how folks could smoke them . To me , it smelled like the Land Fill was on fire .

I do not smoke, but I think this is a perfect example of the government moving towards an unpopular, or unconstitutional, objective with baby steps.

They start off with what most people consider a "reasonable" infringement on a perfectly legal activity, then step by step, they eliminate the activity all together.  Remember how seat belt laws started as "advisories"?

Can you see the parallel to gun control laws here?

Be careful when the government asks you to accept any limitation on your freedom.  History proves that is never the limit they expect you to accept in the end.

Exactly!!!

They already made that mistake with alcohol, I highly doubt they will do that again.

Actually, they learned what they did wrong with prohibition.  they went for a total ban.  This time they will allow possession and consumption, but only under set conditions.  And those conditions will be you have to drink it at home and stay home when you do!

:;)