deer hunting ethics

jeff garrow

I'm not very good at computers but I have an issue that hunting land owners may have run into. I own 8 acres of land and have a dwelling on the property. We are surrounded by at least 150 acres that is mostly semi-wetland. The owner is a woman who lives in Fairport ny. This woman has given some family members permission to hunt her property and may sell to these people soon. Here's where the ethics come in to play. Again we only have 8 acres surrounded by 150 acres with no dwellings on there property. Guess where these idiots hunt? right on my property line. It looks like we may not be able to hunt because of safety. So they get to hunt and we don't. I hope these people feel good about basically shutting down our hunting.

4 minutes ago, jeff garrow said:

I'm not very good at computers but I have an issue that hunting land owners may have run into. I own 8 acres of land and have a dwelling on the property. We are surrounded by at least 150 acres that is mostly semi-wetland. The owner is a woman who lives in Fairport ny. This woman has given some family members permission to hunt her property and may sell to these people soon. Here's where the ethics come in to play. Again we only have 8 acres surrounded by 150 acres with no dwellings on there property. Guess where these idiots hunt? right on my property line. It looks like we may not be able to hunt because of safety. So they get to hunt and we don't. I hope these people feel good about basically shutting down our hunting.

If it was my 8 and they shut down my hunting you could bet your sweet $#%^ that i would be shutting down theirs along that border.

• Like 2

Lol...they can only shut you down if you let them...been there doing this..but mine is a tad different...I have 73 and I surround  bunch...but a farm lease bordering us also is a hunting lease. 150 acres and they hunt along my line...I put up blinds because anything they shoot runs on me...and because I have been shot at ,swore at,called and swore at they now have no recovery rights...and never know when or if I'm in the blind..or where my cams are.  Then I have  1 acre hunting camp next door ..he actually brings friends with him...same thing...so I put up a fence...then  I put up a blind....last year I caught him leaning on the fence  screaming at the empty blind...I stood shaking my head as he saw me...then climbed my stand 100 yrds from the blind...That really ticked him off...next day I shot an 8 or that jumped my fence from hi place...

Point is don't let them scare you off...it may cost some $$ but you could screw their hunting up by making your place better....Why do you think I have mid woods food plots and lots of water tanks?

• Like 1

I own 10 acres, surrounded by hundreds of state/ county land.  My land is long considered the  hot spot. On opening days, and as often as possible, I make sure my hunting friends are very well posted along the borders and on the  adjacent land within respectable distances. It works very well. Other  than an occaisional walk through along the border mid day, no problems, and most of the guys hunting the  surrounding land with any regularity I have gotten to know (and knowing where we are regularly, give us room).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jeff garrow said:

You just need to be a strong presence on your line for a couple of seasons. They will get the message. Been there, done that

• Like 1

Put your stands up where you need them, just inside the line facing down the property line or into your property. who cares if there's is 20 or 50 yards away. get there early and beat them to it. Don't let them ruin your hunting, even though it kind of does regardless.. i know how you feel. 

One of my family properties in Macedon, NY has a very small acre piece that butts into ours... for respect, i stay well over 40 yards from the line and face further into my property. These d*cks put 5 treestands right exactly on the property line facing into my property. To put there very few acres into perspective, its about 50-60 yards wide  by maybe 120 yards long. at most, a small rectangle. Ive kicked them off several times before, even finished off a dandy 8 point the guy unloaded his gun on, which i took care of with one well placed Muzzleloader sabot. Every time i see them in stand, i do all i can to ruin there day without being illegal. at that point idc if i saw a deer for weeks, as long as they do not either.. its a convenience for them because they live next door to the land owner. Worst part about it is thats hunting, and thats the greed within many hunters.. no respect for anyone else...

• Like 1

Well they aren't there every day,seems you live on the piece. Put your stand where it needs to be. You will beat them to it in the am. And hunt. I have a stand 4 ft of my neighbors line it was there before he bought the property, I even offered it to him to hunt out of. He placed one 50 yards away but to get to it he ends up pushing all the deer my way.. he since stopped hunting near.my line after pushing numerous deer and hearing the close shot and hunts the other side of his property. My stand is still there and deer leave the bedding and cross to my food plots  all the time.

You may think you will lose a season but you may end up the benificiary of a nice deer push as they try to get in position.

• Like 1

if the property they hunt on is mostly wetlands, that may be the only huntable area on their side...who knows, or maybe they located where the deer are.......it sucks, but as long as they are on their property and doing nothing wrong it's really not unethical, maybe not very neighborly, but that's about it. I guess it's really not much different then you wanting to hunt that line and shutting them out of it....like already mentioned, set up a clearly visible stand early before the season or get out earlier in the morning...........and I know not many people try this unheard of technique, but try talking to them before doing anything that creates bad blood.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

I'm with larry and john.  worst case scenario they have to be at least 500 feet away with a gun from any permanent "cabin" or "camp" you've built on the property.

find out the minimum requirements needed to establish a "building or dwelling"and build it near the line and there ya go, problem solved...and you may have one helluva hunting blind to boot.

4 hours ago, jjb4900 said:

find out the minimum requirements needed to establish a "building or dwelling"and build it near the line and there ya go, problem solved...and you may have one helluva hunting blind to boot.

Be careful with that. With only 8 acres, they may do the same thing.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SteveB said:

Be careful with that. With only 8 acres, they may do the same thing.

very true.....we have only 5 acres with our cabin, neighbors house is right on the line, and an ahole.....there is literally maybe one spot I could hunt on our property, if that with a gun, 500' feet is a pretty good distance.

Well idk. Guy at work owns a large ,narrow but deep lot. Neighbors land runs along it then turns 90 degrees behind it. "L" shaped if you will. They hunt the rear part, which my co -worker never liked, but they were over 500 feet from his house.

So he built a large playhouse for his Grandkids right on the line  , he watches  the kids everyday. Hunters said that doesn't count, he called DEC , they came down, he  told them he's in it playing with the Grandkids everyday .

DEC told them can't hunt within 500 feet of playhouse .

like with so many things involving the DEC, it depends who shows up , what zone, and your horoscope that day.

the regulation reads," structure in occupation " . Yep me and the grandkids are in it everyday .....

Reading the regulation first then explaining it so it fits the regulation is key .

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Well idk. Guy at work owns a large ,narrow but deep lot. Neighbors land runs along it then turns 90 degrees behind it. "L" shaped if you will. They hunt the rear part, which my co -worker never liked, but they were over 500 feet from his house.

So he built a large playhouse for his Grandkids right on the line  , he watches  the kids everyday. Hunters said that doesn't count, he called DEC , they came down, he  told them he's in it playing with the Grandkids everyday .

DEC told them can't hunt within 500 feet of playhouse .

like with so many things involving the DEC, it depends who shows up , what zone, and your horoscope that day.

the regulation reads," structure in occupation " . Yep me and the grandkids are in it everyday .....

Reading the regulation first then explaining it so it fits the regulation is key .

yeah, an example I was given was a chicken coop....if your in there a few times a day without fail, that qualifies as an occupied building...so pretty much any building you spend time in each day could very well fall into that category....but yep, it depends who shows up or who you ask on any given day.

Step 1 would be to approach them and chat.  If that dosnt work then you can resort to the other options mentioned above.  We had issues with people on our line as well as in our property.  But one they saw us, saw where I put my own stands, as well as a few friendly chats all is good now.