Mid to Long Range Glass

eagle rider

These are what I have in contention and your thoughts are also appreciated.  It will be a top a 7mm Rem Mag bolt action.The goal is to be under $300 to $350.

1- Burris Fullfield E1 Illuminated 3-9x40 (like the second focal plane reticle feature of this, don't like the modern looks)
2- Leupold VX-1 3-9x40 Long Range Plex (classic look, I own 2 of them and they are awesome glass)
3- Nikon Monarch 3, 2.5 - 10x42 BDC (have 2 of the older Monarch UCC's, also solid scopes. One is on a Weatherby)
4- Zeiss Terra, 3-9x42  R6 Plex (I have this scope with the Z-Plex on a Mk I BAR 30-06, great hunting glass)

They are all good glass, the ones you have listed. I have the Leupold VX 1 on my Savage 7mm/08 and I really like it! I've hit targets at the range out to 300 yards and I too like the classic look of this scope! It's very clear and I love Leupolds duplex retical. 

The 3x9 Leupold Vari 1 scope is an iconic classic that has a long unmatched track record in the field that can not be beat for performance, reliability or a company that stands behind it's product  for the money. I go back to the sixties with Vari 1 Leupold scopes of both straight power and variables, always did their job in any conditions with Zero! issues. I am still banging away with them today and expect them to continue on for yet many more years after I am long gone. You will never go wrong with selecting a Leupold scope.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, G-Man said:

My question is what do you cosnider mid range?  A 7mm is truly a long range gun. 

Personally I like leupold but depends on where and range you are hunting. 

mid range 200 to 250 yds.  Long 300 plus.

The VX1 3-9x40 LRD is on sale at Dicks for $239.  The Zeiss is about $305 on eBay (best price I've found).  I agree that the VX1 is a classic,  and it will be on a 700 BDL which is itself a classic as well.

Edited by eagle rider

Thanks Airedale, I did see that in their flyer.  I was looking for their Long Range Duplex.  I was also told to checkout the Redfield Revolution anyone know anything about them?  American made and owned by Leupold.  

Redfields are what I have on most of my guns that I might one day carry in the woods. They are a nice scope they seem to hold a zero very well. I haven't set one side by side with a VX1 but I will tonight when I get done work and let you know what I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vari-x-ii-3-9x40mm-rifle-scope.html?_iv_code=LU-RS-3-9x40-110801

It's at the top of your budget but free shipping and no tax. That in my opinion is the best scope for your budgets that fits all of your needs.

I've bought a few things from Opticsplanet.

If you sign up for email alerts you can apply a discount to already on sale items that would make this even a better bargain.

In Dix again today, got a display Burris Droptine 3-9x40 BDC plex for $110 (on clearance and was the display).  I thought it was every bit clearer than the VX1 and was $100 less.  I have the same one on a 270 Win A-Bolt II and love it.  I jumped on it for that price.  

Little back and high Biz.  I think you need to adjust the scope.  Just kidding and nice Mulie.  Everyone seems to love Leupies but my experience was bad with the one VX 1 I had.  You almost needed a wrench to adjust the magnification.  Very stiff.  Maybe I got a bad one. 

Little back and high Biz.  I think you need to adjust the scope.  Just kidding and nice Mulie.  Everyone seems to love Leupies but my experience was bad with the one VX 1 I had.  You almost needed a wrench to adjust the magnification.  Very stiff.  Maybe I got a bad one. 

Thanks. That's just a blood stain, not an entrance or exit wound. I hit him through other side behind front legs and it came out this side leg

I love them but you are correct. I have found that when I buy a new one I set it on the table beside the couch and when I sit down for my nightly beer I'll just turn it back and forth and they will break right in. Still got it?

On 8/6/2016 at 3:52 PM, G-Man said:

My question is what do you cosnider mid range?  A 7mm is truly a long range gun. 

Personally I like leupold but depends on where and range you are hunting. 

7mm may be a long range gun, but hunting in the northeast (I assume that is where the OP is intending to use his scope/rifle setup) usually requires nothing beyond 150 yards.

OP, all of the scopes look decent enough on paper...they all come from reputable manufacturers.  The 3-9 magnification range is more than adequate for the type of shots you'll likely be taking in NY.  Is the Burris front focal plane or rear focal plane?  If it's FFP, I'd definitely give it some serious consideration.  

Edited by Padre86