Under Armor drops hunter

phade

First they came for the spear ....

Who doesn't think the arrow will be close behind ? A lot of hunters are noticing how fast and with how few of complaints AU dropped the WIFE of the spear hunter .

One thing they didn't like was that he left it over night, then found it 70 yards from the site of the shot . Sound like any of your bow hunts ?

BTW I expressed my feelings to AU yesterday , some guys are burning their AU and posting photos , don't let. The antis have the only voice here.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 1

Everyone makes mistakes and leaving it in the woods overnight was the biggest one he made on that hunt.  He was understandably afraid of being mauled by the wounded bear.   When it comes to deer, there really is no longer a good reason to leave them overnight.   A gut shot deer will normally expire within 8 hours and tracking them in the dark with "bloodglow" is supposed to be a piece of cake.  I picked up some two years ago and I hope never to need it.  I do feel a lot more confident hunting until legal sunset with it available however, knowing that it should be very easy to find a hit deer after dark. 

20 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Everyone makes mistakes and leaving it in the woods overnight was the biggest one he made on that hunt.  He was understandably afraid of being mauled by the wounded bear.   When it comes to deer, there really is no longer a good reason to leave them overnight.   A gut shot deer will normally expire within 8 hours and tracking them in the dark with "bloodglow" is supposed to be a piece of cake.  I picked up some two years ago and I hope never to need it.  I do feel a lot more confident hunting until legal sunset with it available however, knowing that it should be very easy to find a hit deer after dark. 

Using your way of thinking, you stand a good chance of jumping the wounded deer from it's bed and NOT recovering it. Each blood trail is different.  Sometimes the best thing to do, if you are not SURE of the hit, is to just leave them until morning. I hope you don't have to rely on that "bloodglow" stuff to recover your deer.

• Like 3

I have been around for awhile and have seen plenty of different ways of harvesting fish and game and there are some methods that I personally don't care for myself. That being said as long as it is legal I will support those who use those methods, I just do not participate in those ways myself and that is that.

As for Under Armor they caved to anti's for something that was done legal and that is the bottom line. They can take their over rated, over priced "Rodeo Drive" crap clothing and shove it where the sun don't shine!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

If I have to wait 8 hours , instead of sitting in my car till Midnight or later to start a tract, I'll just go,home and come back in a few more hours with help and natural light .

One problem with using UV lights to find blood is well, one needs blood , something with gut shots there often is not much. Blood absorbs UV and does not glow it appears darker the the objects it's on as long as they fluoresces. If the blood dilutes at all, snow , rain, dew,UV lights are not effective at all.

i recommend practicing with the light,before relying on it .

• Like 2

It looks like there is some confusion here.  Bloodglow is not a UV light.  It is a chemical that contains an active ingredient which, when mixed with water (or windshield wiper fluid in freezing temps) reacts with blood to glow in the natural star or moon light.   Every blood trail is different, and If I knew a deer was gut shot, I would leave it 8 hours even though I have bloodglow.   For other hits, I am waiting 30-40 minutes before tracking.   The two deer I have shot since getting the bloodglow two years ago were struck in the heart and diagonally thru both lungs, so no tracking has been needed.   Again, I hope never to need it, but being human, I am prone to making mistakes. 

Bloodglow is just another tool.  The biggest thing I rely on now to keep my family fed with wild game, is my faith in Jesus Christ, the one person who walked this earth without making mistakes.  I pray for all those who continue to struggle and have yet to learn that fact.  It would be nice if all of us could spend eternity up there in that Happy Hunting Ground.  

New hunter, so take this with a grain of salt.

I think there's personal hunting challenge and then there's something done for glory or publicity. This was more the later. By the couple's admission, they've been trying to get a show for a while and that makes me question as to why this bear was killed. The go pro on the spear was just idiotic and the guy acted like a tool for the camera. I would have dropped him for that alone. As a TV producer, this video would have been an immediate pass by me. The guy speared a baited bear then collapsed as if he just slain Goliath. There's no context; there's no hunt; there's just a kill and a celebration.

I'm a fly angler and not a fan of the grip-and-grin. Of the thousands of fish caught all over the world, I've only taken one pic and that was at the guide's request as he felt it would help his business. It was a very nice Icelandic sea trout caught under shitty circumstances and I was happy to do what I could for him. Past that, I don't have this overwhelming urge to share every moment of my life; epic or inane.

I tend to be an ass about video work, so again, grain of salt. 

• Like 2

Left field , welcome !

My take is this, the antis hate hunters and the whole hunting culture and they want to stomp it out , period. Spears are out, safari's are out , millions of acres of Federal land  are out , hunt only big bucks,?  You're trophy Hunter removing the strongest when you should be removing the weakest  and on and on . Meanwhile we help,them by infighting over everything from Xbows , to ARs ( both kinds....) 

Does anyone really think those that got AU to  fold will support your bow hunting ? Think they "like" your big buck you killed with your 30.06 and posted on FB ?

The  Bowmars got stabbed in the back and we're next in line .

the following is off of PETA's web page , it helps to know your enemy.

“Some hunting groups claim that by obeying laws and killing free-range animals in a manner that does not give humans an “improper advantage” over their prey, the activity constitutes “fair chase.” Of course, these same groups encourage hunters to shoot game with rifles, shotguns, and bows and arrows—weapons that no animal has any chance of outrunning, let alone fighting. “

Edited by Larry302

From a business POV I don't believe UA is terribly upset about their decision. It is no secret that the number of people who hunt falls every year which makes hunters a declining share of their market. The crowds and lines at the checkout counter of the UA outlet center is a pretty reliable sign that UA can continue to survive without the hunter's dollar. Looks like their sales from those engaged in traditional sports will absorb whatever small lose they might incur from their recent decision. (Personally speaking my neighbors purchases for their daughter's softball leagues will single handily surpass any hunter's boycott lol) 

Thanks, Larry. It's a complicated issue and probably beyond my ken.

I'm not a fan of Peta or the HSUS from the days when I trained protection dogs and butted heads with them over bull breeds and BSL. But in 2016, and where hunting is concerned, perception is everything. I'm dealing with that right now with a show on rat abatement with dogs on organic farms. You want organic chicken? That means chicken feed and no poison, and that means rats. I figured networks would be all over a guy and his dogs saving the family farm from ruin - rats destroy feed, buildings and eat baby livestock - but getting a lot of pushback on seeing dogs killing rats. 

Anyway, I don't blame UA as the way the kill was presented made this controversial and a no-brainer from their perspective. Put aside from the legalities or ethics of baiting and the efficacy of a spear in taking down a large animal, it's basically a video of a guy jumping out from behind a tree to throw a spear at a bear he lured into position with food. There's just no way this is going to go over well with the general public - the majority of people you're left with from both sides of the issue after you toss out the hardcore hunters (assume spear kill, bro!) and the insane antis (you should have a spear shoved up your ass!). 

This video could have delved into the reasoning for the spear, the ethics around that choice, the training involved, the decision to take this particular animal. Instead, from what I saw, it was a really stupid video with no purpose other than "look at me." Or from another perspective, this was a video of a kill, not a hunt, and that may be the key element here.

• Like 1

From the video, it looks like the guy made a very good hit on the bear with the spear.   I see little difference in what he did and those who choose to hunt with a longbow or recurve.   As a natural born killer, none of those are for me, but I respect those "fighters" who are willing and able to put in the time and effort to become proficient with those weapons.   As far as the AU goes, I never used that stuff anyhow and now I never would.  Kind of like I could never get fully behind the Buffalo Bills when PETA-guy Marv Levy was at the helm.  

Those folks don't have a clue, for God never would have put man's eyes in the front of our head if he didn't want us to eat meat.   As far as the trophy-hunting thing goes, I have no use for that personally but I also respect those who do it.   I can understand, from a Biblical perspective, how they have more trouble from the anti's than us meat-hunters however.  Anyone who can read can see that Jesus himself helped his buddies fill a boat with fish (to eat) and how the Father (who represents God) killed the "fatted calf" to celebrate the return of his prodigal son.           

10 hours ago, Larry302 said:

Left field , welcome !

My take is this, the antis hate hunters and the whole hunting culture and they want to stomp it out , period. Spears are out, safari's are out , millions of acres of Federal land  are out , hunt only big bucks,?  You're trophy Hunter removing the strongest when you should be removing the weakest  and on and on . Meanwhile we help,them by infighting over everything from Xbows , to ARs ( both kinds....) 

Does anyone really think those that got AU to  fold will support your bow hunting ? Think they "like" your big buck you killed with your 30.06 and posted on FB ?

The  Bowmars got stabbed in the back and we're next in line .

the following is off of PETA's web page , it helps to know your enemy.

“Some hunting groups claim that by obeying laws and killing free-range animals in a manner that does not give humans an “improper advantage” over their prey, the activity constitutes “fair chase.” Of course, these same groups encourage hunters to shoot game with rifles, shotguns, and bows and arrows—weapons that no animal has any chance of outrunning, let alone fighting. “

I recall reading that most people don't care about hunting one way or another. Then on either end of the spectrum those who hunt and those who are opposed. I seem to recall reading that in general opposition to hunting is actually going down, which kind of surprised me. 

But groups like PETA are like some gun control people. They will not stop until they have reached a complete and logical conclusion to what they want. In PETAs case I am sure everybody vegetarian. And half of us in any given year slamming into a deer on the road as well. 

7 hours ago, left field said:

Thanks, Larry. It's a complicated issue and probably beyond my ken.

I'm not a fan of Peta or the HSUS from the days when I trained protection dogs and butted heads with them over bull breeds and BSL. But in 2016, and where hunting is concerned, perception is everything. I'm dealing with that right now with a show on rat abatement with dogs on organic farms. You want organic chicken? That means chicken feed and no poison, and that means rats. I figured networks would be all over a guy and his dogs saving the family farm from ruin - rats destroy feed, buildings and eat baby livestock - but getting a lot of pushback on seeing dogs killing rats. 

I didn't know that about rat-killing dogs but I'm not surprised. I won't pretend I personally hunt deer out of a particular concern for them getting in front of cars, but that is absolutely one of the reasons the state encourages hunting. And I can say I have no qualms whatsoever about taking one knowing that I'm even in an area in which the state actively wants to lower the deer population. 

Perception is everything because we are approaching an Idiocracy society: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy That guy who killed the damn lion a year back didn't do anyone any favors but the response to that was certainly over the top.

Seems to me everybody in this thread is a total gentleman. I can't believe none of you have looked up this lady. Let's say she hits the gym a lot and has the body to prove it, wowsers!

Haha she's sponsored and set to be the image of the woman hunter by under armour (or was) and you didn't see that coming?