Under Armor drops hunter

phade

Was it a legal hunt? I maybe missing something...but I see no difference than if it was a gun or bow hit in same area.That said, I'd have more respect for the company if they told the truth. We are cowards and bend to social media and her husband acted like a dork...so we are dropping her

• Like 3

As long as the hunt was legal I have no problem with it. Is it something I would do? No. Was the guy kinda goofy? Yeah. But I too have acted a bit goofy after recovering a hard hunted animal. Also, from what I saw, this bear died very shortly after being hit. Not hours later. In my opinion, Under Armor caved to the anti's propaganda machine and will no longer be on this hunters shopping list. You either promote hunting or you don't. Even under the best of conditions killing, is never pretty.

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, hunterdan44 said:

That's it I'm jealous of them , spear an animal on film an act like that, ur asking for a PC outcry. That's a fact .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is.

This guy said the bear ran 60 yards, but he recovered it the next day, which makes me think he thought he hadn't hit vitals.

Here's another spear hunter. It looks pretty clear to me he didn't hit vitals, in which case he's cheering about the fact he just totally wrecked a bear's month (and possibly life if it doesn't recover) for no gain.

I am not for or against but I gotta question the great enthusiasm for filming the kills, especially ones not quick drops, and expect anyone out of the hunting population to get it. Most of these people think meat originates in Styrofoam and cellophane. To me it's a private thing, a hunter thing. I get that I am taking a life and respect that and when I reach that downed animal I take a knee beside it and give thanks. I don't need to convey that or video that for people who don't get it.

I also believe as hunters it is our responsibility to put the quarry down as fast as possible, that always does not happen I know but it should be the goal. I am not sure a spear meets that for me personally for him it does. Just don't video yourself jumping around like a freaking Olympic winner hitting a buzzer beater and expect the non hunting public to be all fine with it. More people in this country are non hunters than hunt I would think we try not to alienate them all.

I get those that say oh F them it is legal and my right.......but I would like my kids and grandkids to enjoy what I have.

This country and world is PC retarded, over litigated, overcome by loud special interest groups, over photo'd, videoed and selfy'd and it ain't getting any better.

Off my soapbox......

• Like 4

The hunt was legal, so I see nothing wrong with using the spear. It was done that way for many years, and some countries still do it as a main way to hunt. Takes guts to be that close to dangerous game.

My problem is waiting until the next day to track and locate. That's not so good IMO.

Fine if u want to hunt with a spear and u practice and become proficient with it ,same for any hunting implement gun , bow, etc. The glorifying the kill and his disdain for his prey is not my way of living. Nor how I taught my children. It only makes for more ant hunting sentiment .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hunterdan44 said:

Fine if u want to hunt with a spear and u practice and become proficient with it ,same for any hunting implement gun , bow, etc. The glorifying the kill and his disdain for his prey is not my way of living. Nor how I taught my children. It only makes for more ant hunting sentiment .

I dont know if you watched the video, but there wasnt much celebration going on in it. Pretty tame compared to alot of the guys whooping it up and dancing in their tree stands after shooting a big buck. Just because someone hunts differently than you do, doesnt mean you should shun them, as long as its legal. Keep bowing down to the antis and see where it gets you.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ....rob said:

My problem is waiting until the next day to track and locate. That's not so good IMO.

Not uncommon at all. Deer hunters do it all the time.

Im not going to run into the thick brush after a bear I just shot. Give it time to die without taking the risk of pushing it further or having it attack you.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Not uncommon at all. Deer hunters do it all the time.

Im not going to run into the thick brush after a bear I just shot. Give it time to die without taking the risk of pushing it further or having it attack you.

True. 

I dont know if you watched the video, but there wasnt much celebration going on in it. Pretty tame compared to alot of the guys whooping it up and dancing in their tree stands after shooting a big buck. Just because someone hunts differently than you do, doesnt mean you should shun them, as long as its legal. Keep bowing down to the antis and see where it gets you.

I'm not bowing down to anyone I live in 2016. I think there fools and stand by it. Maybe you should watch it again. Whatever you think of me doesn't concern me.

I won't lie, I'd really enjoy a chance to spear game. Completely outside of my comfort zone but it's going back before the bow and arrow and that seems like a challenge I would try to overcome.

I'm sure if I ever do it and am successful I will be pretty excited. Sometimes people think hunting needs to be so somber that you can't express excitement and appreciation at the same time. Same concept as hardcore hunters targeting older bucks - it seems like flogging yourself is the only acceptable way to success. Can't be fun or enjoyable.

I question some hunters amongst our ranks. It also makes me appreciate my hunting buddies even more. Going after big bucks and having fun is something that can both be done in our circle.

• Like 4

A spear ........... Your equipment can't get anymore primitive than that. Talk about challenge, and hunter-handicapping .... that IS the ultimate. A truly great accomplishment.

However, when considering whether it is a smart thing to try, I have to say that it takes more guts than brains. I know I would never do such a thing, and that decision has nothing to do with political correctness or some concern over the brutality of the act. It simply seems to be the wrong thing to do with something that can eat you.

I was never one who sought to challenge myself when living creatures are involved.   When I hunt (or fish), I simply want to make those living creatures dead as quickly and humanely as legally possible, then get the meat prepared for my family's consumption.   That means that I will always choose the most lethal, affordable weapon that the law will allow.  I respect my quarry an I feel I owe that to them.  If others choose to hunt with more primitive weapons, I don't have a big problem with it, providing they put in the time and effort to become proficient with their weapon.  

Hunters are born into one of two groups: Killers or Fighters.     One way to tell them apart is to watch them fish.   The killers will usually take their catch home to eat, while the fighters will usually release them to possibly be caught another day.  The fighters like a challenge and seek to maximize it, while the killers seek to minimize the challenge.   There is room for both in the sports of hunting and fishing, but the two groups will never see eye to eye on the "best" way to get the job done.

As far as that spear-chucker goes, pure fighter, and there is nothing wrong with that.               

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 5:43 AM, wolc123 said:

I was never one who sought to challenge myself when living creatures are involved.   When I hunt (or fish), I simply want to make those living creatures dead as quickly and humanely as legally possible, then get the meat prepared for my family's consumption.   That means that I will always choose the most lethal, affordable weapon that the law will allow.  I respect my quarry an I feel I owe that to them.  If others choose to hunt with more primitive weapons, I don't have a big problem with it, providing they put in the time and effort to become proficient with their weapon.  

Hunters are born into one of two groups: Killers or Fighters.     One way to tell them apart is to watch them fish.   The killers will usually take their catch home to eat, while the fighters will usually release them to possibly be caught another day.  The fighters like a challenge and seek to maximize it, while the killers seek to minimize the challenge.   There is room for both in the sports of hunting and fishing, but the two groups will never see eye to eye on the "best" way to get the job done.

As far as that spear-chucker goes, pure fighter, and there is nothing wrong with that.               

As far as I'm concerned, it is all about challenge. Otherwise, I simply head for the supermarket to get some nice prime black angus. It just depends on how great a challenge one I looking for in their hunting. Those that handicap themselves the most get the most respect from me when they are successful. That was the lure of bow season for me and why I got involved. it all involved the choice of weapon that demands the challenge of understanding nature and the understanding of animal patterns and habits and strengths. All these things come into play, as you head back farther into primitive weapons. The more primitive the weapon, the more hunting and shooting skill that is required and hence the more challenge, and the more satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when it comes up to be a successful result. I had to get within 20 yards with the old recurve that I started out with. That guy with the spear had to get even closer. It would have been better if he could have done it without the bait, but of course perhaps it just flat would have been impossible.

Other than using a rock or a knife, the spear takes challenge about as far as you can go. And success there is something that a hunter can take huge pride in. Each step back in primitive weaponry makes the activity closer to one human vs. one animal, one on one. It's not a team event joined into with a group of engineers and factory workers. It was his sole accomplishment, and I don't blame him for doing a little celebrating.

Edited by Doc
  • Like 3