Your shot placement

upstatehunter

So this is something added to the arrow so that as blood leaks out the blood is now spiked with a powder that helps it show under certain lighting? If it worked, that would be awesome. But, I also have a hard time believing it's going to work for long. Surely the initial bits of blood will rinse the area 

• Like 1

So this is something added to the arrow so that as blood leaks out the blood is now spiked with a powder that helps it show under certain lighting? If it worked, that would be awesome. But, I also have a hard time believing it's going to work for long. Surely the initial bits of blood will rinse the area 

Yea I guess so i will have more info when I get it just something I volunteered for and they are sending me it. Hope to get some good tests on it this season.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Yea I guess so i will have more info when I get it just something I volunteered for and they are sending me it. Hope to get some good tests on it this season.

I think I got this idea from a movie. What if the arrow were spiked with some radioactive substance that can be tracked with a device up to a fairly high range but has a short half-life so it's not a risk to humans. Looks like I'm talking about this (just googled it): http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-the-soviet-union-tracked-people-with-spy-dust-1705065672

Er anyway sorry back to shot placement :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

They are telling me it works has been tested now they are in mass testing stage before producing in numbers I'm color blind so can't wait to use it hope it works I'll post it up when I get it as long as they give me permission (I'm sure they will)

Looking forward to it!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2016 at 0:19 PM, Core said:

I think I got this idea from a movie. What if the arrow were spiked with some radioactive substance that can be tracked with a device up to a fairly high range but has a short half-life so it's not a risk to humans. Looks like I'm talking about this (just googled it): http://io9.gizmodo.com/how-the-soviet-union-tracked-people-with-spy-dust-1705065672

Unfortunately isotopes don't work quite like that.  If it was short lived then it would need to be manufactured, sold and used in a very short time.  Typically "VERY short lived" is a classification of isotopes with a half life in hours.  "Short Lived" have half lives less than 10 days, and "Long Lived" is greater than 10 days (typically weeks or months).  Isotopes with lives in years or greater are technically classified as "Long Lived" but have specific regulations depending on their emitted energy.

As a rule of thumb an Isotope is no longer radioactive after 10 half lives.  While this isn't always true, especially when you talk about massive quantities of a material... it is true for quantities that are more commonly found in both nature and Nuclear Medicine.

As for the tracking part, it is possible to track isotopes with multi-channel analyzers (geiger counters that can differentiate between multiple energies).  Unfortunately the distance they can be observed depends on the device and the activity of the isotope.  It would take a massive activity at an exceptionally high energy with an exceptionally narrow angled device to track an isotope more than 100 feet.

Example:  Working in a Nuclear Pharmacy i accidentally dropped a vial that contained roughly 1.75Ci of TC99m (a commonly used mid energy isotope used in nuclear medicine).  That activity was about 500 times the average administered dose to a human for a scan.  That vial was easily found using a geiger counter at 30', but was immeasurable 100' (or outside the building walls).

Now that I have bored everyone... back to our regularly scheduled programming :)

• Like 4

Some good answers here but so much is gonna depend on angle. If the deer is quartering it may be nearer the back ribs for a bow shot, high on the back if you're above it. Think of the deer as being a barrel w the vitals in between the shoulders or so. You gotta penetrate whatever you need to so you can damage the lungs w bow shots. Guns kill by shock n can be shot differently but still some shots need to be passed w both weapons. Don't they go over this in NY hunter ed? I'm from out of state n we teach it thoroughly. Assumed NY did too?

Edited by Bowguy 1

2 hours ago, Bowguy 1 said:

Some good answers here but so much is gonna depend on angle. If the deer is quartering it may be nearer the back ribs for a bow shot, high on the back if you're above it. Think of the deer as being a barrel w the vitals in between the shoulders or so. You gotta penetrate whatever you need to so you can damage the lungs w bow shots. Guns kill by shock n can be shot differently but still some shots need to be passed w both weapons. Don't they go over this in NY hunter ed? I'm from out of state n we teach it thoroughly. Assumed NY did too?

They do--in hunter ed they say with a bow never take except a broadside or quartering away. 

4 hours ago, Core said:

They do--in hunter ed they say with a bow never take except a broadside or quartering away. 

Ok I was supposed to do the classes to teach but after the first night of them I realized I didn't have the required time so I just didn't know. Both courses are international so should cover same items

I'm seeing headshots a few times n imo it's way too risky unless you rope em first. Before anyone tells me how great they shoot, things happen beyond our control. Deer move, especially their heads, an unseen vine or branch can be hit n cause deflection, tree can sway n most likely is, etc etc. 

we don't need bad press, first deer pic of a blown off jaw will go viral, it's happened w hunting type things way too often lately. Besides the moral implications we owe it to the game n each other to take the best shot w lowest odds of crippling or injuring

• Like 4

I tuck it in a little tighter to the shoulder these days, pretty much straight up the front leg.....years back I always aimed about 4 inches or so behind the front leg, once I took a closer look at a deer's anatomy I concluded I was aiming too far back.

00small56700550.JPG

00small56700550.JPG

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 4

Many years ago a wise hunter taught me to always aim for the Opposite shoulder, this works for any direction the deer is except if he is coming straight at you. I have used this logic for 40 years and I have never had to track a deer longer than 50 yards, I must say that over the years I have learned that neck shots are deadly and the is no tracking.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Northsox65 said:

Many years ago a wise hunter taught me to always aim for the Opposite shoulder, this works for any direction the deer is except if he is coming straight at you. I have used this logic for 40 years and I have never had to track a deer longer than 50 yards, I must say that over the years I have learned that neck shots are deadly and the is no tracking.

I don't see how an opposite shoulder shot on a quartering too puts you in the vitals?

Neck shots are very deadly I miss judged yardage last year on a hard quartering away shot with the xbow. Shot her through the back of the neck broke the spine and hit the jugular, she dropped where she was and there was no blood in the cavity what so ever when I dressed her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Neck shots are very deadly I miss judged yardage last year on a hard quartering away shot with the xbow. Shot her through the back of the neck broke the spine and hit the jugular, she dropped where she was and there was no blood in the cavity what so ever when I dressed her

there's a lot of "oh sh*t" deadly shots out there.....I once shot a buck in the lower part of his back leg, got the femoral artery and he was dead within seconds, but I never want to do that again.

• Like 4

there's a lot of "oh sh*t" deadly shots out there.....I once shot a buck in the lower part of his back leg, got the femoral artery and he was dead within seconds, but I never want to do that again.

Yea I've done that as well I was mid press on my release and he spooked and that's where he got hit

On Friday, September 02, 2016 at 0:19 PM, Core said:

So... tracking deer with a gieger counter?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bowguy 1 said:

I would agree w you on this one but broadside or quartering away the far shoulder is a good mark. It's all bout angles 

If you aim at the back far shoulder at the right angle you have a good chance at hitting vitals and no gut shot. Or in front of the front shoulder.

qtdeershot.jpg

Edited by ....rob