LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker on here for the last couple days while sitting in a tree and decided it was time to introduce myself. I've been hunting for about 15 years and currently do so in 7A, although I can almost spit to 8F. Just starting to see some activity the last two days here in my neck of the woods. I look forward to the conversation with everyone and hope this evening sit goes well even with the warm temps and wind!

Welcome zuke...good luck out there

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker on here for the last couple days while sitting in a tree and decided it was time to introduce myself. I've been hunting for about 15 years and currently do so in 7A, although I can almost spit to 8F. Just starting to see some activity the last two days here in my neck of the woods. I look forward to the conversation with everyone and hope this evening sit goes well even with the warm temps and wind!

Welcome Zuke!

I am in 7A as well within spitting distance of 7F. Basically seeing small bucks cruising right now. Should be chasing soon. Hoping to cross paths with something bigger than I have been seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I owe it to the deer to recover. He gave me a great hunt, and he seems to be a fine mature beast. There is a tiny outside chance he will live, very tiny. The arrow looked good n bloody.

Hey Papist... been a member on here for years but couldn't remember my PW and had to create a new account to reply. Find someone with a drone and fly it over the area. The camera can look down into thick brush and easily see the white of the belly from the air. You can cover a lot of territory quickly and easily! I have one but I'm heading out of town for the next four days. Worth the investment if none of your buddies have kids that have one!

• Like 4

Nearly had 3 different deer tonight...with the car...Mr B called, engine died on the company truck ...bring vehicle scanner and big flash light...I have never honked my horn so many times in a 5 mile drive...It was crazy...hhmmm I'm still waiting for the tow truck to pull in with him...doesn't it figure he'd have the 4 wheeler on the trailer tonight..our son was there with him when I left..any ways deer just lining the roads...

Who's hunting the heat tomorrow?... I'm finishing up clearing all trails and checking the stands down by swamp, scrubbing the Gator and getting stuff put away for winter.

Edited by growalot

Just double checked with the neighbor that I can go in tomorrow afternoon for my third look. I had picked up blood again late into today's search. This combined with the dogs behavior suggests there may something going on in the thick stuff behind a vehicle shed. Hopefully I get my hands on bone at least. After this weather it is unlikely any meat will be good. There is also a deep ravine to check

• Like 6

If Papist's buck is bleeding that much it should be an easy trail to follow in the dark with a product known as Bloodglow, Trackem, or Bluestar.  I think Tinks may also make a silmilar product. It contains an active ingredient (luminol), developed for CSI usage, that when mixed with water (or windshield wiper fluid in freezing conditions) makes the hemoglobin in blood glow bright blue in the starlight.   They say it works even better in rainy conditions (the extra water eliminates much of the "false positives").  $20 or so get's you enough for tracking 4 deer.    They say it works on old trails (weeks old is no problem).  At this point, the meat is surely lost if he died from the wound, but this product may help him get some closure and  recover the rack.    

I bought some 2 years ago and am still waiting for a chance to use it.  The (4) deer I have killed since getting it have all fallen dead in their tracks or within 50 yards. Has anyone here tried this stuff?  If and when I do, I will be sure to post here on it's effectiveness (or lack thereof).   I just picked up two more DMP's today, in the second drawing, and I plan to start hunting again on Saturday when crossbow opens up.  On one hand, I hope I never need the stuff, but on the other, I really wonder if it does what they say it does.   One of the more prolific hunters, on the old QDMA site, claimed that his recovery percentage was close to 100% with it.         

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I'll be out in the heat tomorrow. My dad passed on 11/2 so I always hunt that day. Last year was 15 years and I finally killed a deer on that day lol, I was starting to think he was a closet anti hunter

Sorry to hear that TC. But, that makes sense. Good luck tomorrow, hope you get a bruiser. 

• Like 2

I'll be out in the heat tomorrow. My dad passed on 11/2 so I always hunt that day. Last year was 15 years and I finally killed a deer on that day lol, I was starting to think he was a closet anti hunter

I can't like this post but best of luck, it must be a tough day but I don't think there could be a better place spend it than in the woods.

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Tacks, I've wish a lot of hunters good luck this year. But tomorrow I'm wishing you the very best of luck. To get one for your Dad. But weather you get a deer or not. He will be sitting there, right beside you, smiling that smile you know so well.

• Like 6

Tacks, I've wish a lot of hunters good luck this year. But tomorrow I'm wishing you the very best of luck. To get one for your Dad. But weather you get a deer or not. He will be sitting there, right beside you, smiling that smile you know so well.

Thanks for the kind words Grampy. it's been 16 years now but it still stings. Enjoy your time with your dads folks!

• Like 2

I'll be out in the mornings everyday this week. Afternoons are looking to be pretty warm and wet in a couple days.

Had a spike cross the field this morning with his nose to the ground. He barely lifted his head to look where he was going. Had about 5 more deer come by all before 830am. Was a nice frosty sit this morning. Hoping to see some good movement again tomorrow morning!

Switched my work schedule up a bit for the next 2 weeks. Requested 9pm-5am. This way I can be home in plenty of time to hunt the mornings and I can sacrifice a little sleep and hunt afternoons too.

• Like 2

Am I the only one that struggles to get out of the bed when snuggled into a warm wife.

Nope!

I am going on too many early mornings in a row! Tomorrow looks like rain I'm looking forward to sleeping in!