LIVE from the woods 2016 Edition! - 7th Year, lets make this happen...

burmjohn

11 minutes ago, growalot said:

Headed out for a 1 1/2 hour sit...just put sausage meat in to marinate a bit before freezing...bulk sweet Italian with a little pork  fat and red wine and pulverized oat meal Italian seasonings and fresh garlic....some will have chopped peppers and onion.... This will be for patties,casseroles and meatballs. last deer done ,weather good to hang try for one more to do after Saturday..

PS cut another finger same hand..index...Believe Mr B. is buying me chain male(?) gloves for Christmas...this one just peeled back skin...lol good thing I'm a lefty...cross bow trigger finger is still intact.:rolleyes:

Why do you add oatmeal Grow?

Minga it's like summer time. Yeaterday it was cold enough for insulated coveralls today it nice to be back in uninsulated coveralls. Passed up the same 10 pt. 2 more times. Yesterday afternoon I had a small button buck walk right up to me. He smelled the end of the muzzleloader and just stood there till I said BANG..... he.may have pooped a little bit...those button bucks are pretty dumb unfortunately that's why so many get shot.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, reeltime said:

Minga it's like summer time. Yeaterday it was cold enough for insulated coveralls today it nice to be back in uninsulated coveralls. Passed up the same 10 pt. 2 more times. Yesterday afternoon I had a small button buck walk right up to me. He smelled the end of the muzzleloader and just stood there till I said BANG..... he.may have pooped a little bit...those button bucks are pretty dumb unfortunately that's why so many get shot.

No tag for the 10 point?

Button bucks rank up there with opossums on IQ level

No tag for the 10 point?
Button bucks rank up there with opossums on IQ level

Yup but he is only 2.5 and close to 120" so he should be nice next year. He should be walking by again soon. I want that doe fawn my target 12 is with to walk by instead.

2 hours ago, growalot said:

. . . PS cut another finger same hand..index...Believe Mr B. is buying me chain male(?) gloves for Christmas...this one just peeled back skin...lol good thing I'm a lefty...cross bow trigger finger is still intact.:rolleyes:

grow, you need to get some of these for Christmas.

Edited by goosifer
crop unrelated content

Well, two of my hunting buddies and I were able to navigate the roads this morning and make it out for a morning sit. We basically had three of the four corners of the property covered. Buddy in SW stand spotted a nice buck cutting W to E in the middle of the property, but neither I, nor my other hunting buddies had a shot.

Oh, and this one hurts. In the stand for 10 minutes this morning, when a small animal pops onto the trail 50 yards to my right. My brain goes "Oh, it's the fox". (I don't mind the fox.) Then it goes, "wait a second, that's not a fox . . . ." So I go to get my gun resting across the shooting rail, the coyote hears or sees me, and runs back into the woods. No chance to get a clean shot. I would much rather have gotten that coyote today than another deer. But we will get him soon enough . . . .

Headed back out about 1:45 to my in laws. I still hunted the whole time while trying to skirt the edges around where my buddy was sitting. He saw 4 total, 2 of them I pushed to him but over 100 and moving through the hardwoods so no shot. I saw 6 and only had 1 shot opp but passed as it was right on the poster line. Between morning and afternoon I saw 10, shot once this morning and hit a tree.  Back after them in the morning and then all day Tuesday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rebel Darling said:

Lots of late shots here in 4L.

Those doe hung in the woods for a while. I don't know where they went.

Sounded like another hunter and I were in a calling war. Someone started fawn bleating for their life at 4 until 4:20.

Packing up, and climbing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard that sound in the woods before ,it was a doe and buck having play time.

26 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Well, two of my hunting buddies and I were able to navigate the roads this morning and make it out for a morning sit. We basically had three of the four corners of the property covered. Buddy in SW stand spotted a nice buck cutting W to E in the middle of the property, but neither I, nor my other hunting buddies had a shot.

Oh, and this one hurts. In the stand for 10 minutes this morning, when a small animal pops onto the trail 50 yards to my right. My brain goes "Oh, it's the fox". (I don't mind the fox.) Then it goes, "wait a second, that's not a fox . . . ." So I go to get my gun resting across the shooting rail, the coyote hears or sees me, and runs back into the woods. No chance to get a clean shot. I would much rather have gotten that coyote today than another deer. But we will get him soon enough . . . .

Them fox are as bad as them yotes! The eat the turkey eggs, pheasant eggs! And the birds. Only thing the fox are good for are getting the neighbors stray cats. If is see them i give them a dirt nap! Or a snow nap in this case

Goosifer..That is what he's looking at and more chainsaw type work one's...I have arthritis and nerve issues that cause not only weakness but also numbness in my hands

Went out saw nothing...not sure why I bother being legal sometimes...out of the many 20 mins after close shots that happened close by...one was a blk. Powder...rifle ,20 and 12 ga...and snow mobiles doing drives nice!...a holes.

Edited by growalot

Goosifer..That is what he's looking at and more chainsaw type work one's...I have arthritis and nerve issues that cause not only weakness but also numbness in my hands

Went out saw nothing...not sure why I bother being legal sometimes...out of the many 20 mins after close shots that happened close by...one was a blk. Powder...rifle ,20 and 12 games...and snow mobiles doing drives nice!...a holes.

Right? Neighbor told me today that it's a shame to harvest the does around here because "that's our breeding stock." This came right after I told him I harvested and early season doe. Legally.

The real problem here in 4L is before and after legal light sniping, and general doe poaching up here for guys who take a deer every year with rifle, antlers or not. There are no doe tags issued up here.

Had a fella admit to poaching the lead doe in the herd last year because she was big.

Makes me want to yell obscenities.

• Like 1

I've heard that sound in the woods before ,it was a doe and buck having play time.

It was the first I've heard it, and it definitely sounded more natural than the bleat can, which I'm about ready to throw out. I should just use my vocal chords to make that sound.

I couldn't see where the action was, but I did see deer running just before the sounds started. Maybe some chasing... I though it was just the does, but it was too far for me to accurately make out all the deer.

9 minutes ago, bisceglia said:

skipped deer hunting today and headed out for pheasant and rabbit, i'll be eating good the next few days b9567b36070afd226f691099227a6a22.jpg

Nice.  You have a dog?  

Place looks familiar.  Putnam county??  If its where i think you were i had my dog out a couple weeks ago with no luck.  So kudos to you!

2 hours ago, Rebel Darling said:

It was the first I've heard it, and it definitely sounded more natural than the bleat can, which I'm about ready to throw out. I should just use my vocal chords to make that sound.

I couldn't see where the action was, but I did see deer running just before the sounds started. Maybe some chasing... I though it was just the does, but it was too far for me to accurately make out all the deer.

Not sure if it was last year or the year before ,it was only 60-70 yards in a thick area ,it was so long and loud . I almost got out of my treestand to investigate. The same sound tone as a bleat but it just keeps going .

Made some hellish drives thru snow lately but I don't do ice.Freezing rain at 32 degrees.  Got dressed , drove 4 blocks and came back home. Gear off , on couch watching tv for a few hours. Slid thru 2 stop signs. On a straight away I gave it a little gas and almost went sideways. No sit it in the woods is worth driving on ice in the hills for. Careful everyone  and hope to join you later 

• Like 4