I think i got ripped off...Suggestions?

ApexerER

Some people are just plain old scumbags. I purchased an item from a forum member on Archery Talk. Sent him a Paypal payment, payment was accepted and I haven't heard from him since. I thought I did my homework. Before sending payment I checked his feedback. Sold 31 items...30 positive posts and one negative where it said he backed out of deal but money was refunded. I checked the "do not deal with list" and he was not on there. I sent my payment last Friday. I have sent emails and private messages with no response. I have purchased items from other forum members both on here and on other forums as well. I sure will be rethinking that which does nothing but hurt the 99%  that are honest. Do I have any recourse? Or just chalk it up to lesson learned.....It was $85 so not huge money, but it sure pisses me off...

Did you send the payment as a gift?  If not, initiate a complaint through paypal.  They are good about getting your money back.  I would assume that with good feedback like that, he will follow through.  The complaint may prompt him sooner.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rockspek said:

Maybe something happened in his life. Hopefully they will come around. 

I was thinking that....But this morning I checked the forum and I went to his private wall or whatever you would call it. His last time online was last night so he has been on the forum, so he has scene that I have sent him messages and has chosen not too respond....

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Did you send the payment as a gift?  If not, initiate a complaint through paypal.  They are good about getting your money back.  I would assume that with good feedback like that, he will follow through.  The complaint may prompt him sooner.

I did not send the payment as a gift. I am waiting a little longer....I don't want to be wrong and start a complaint against someone for no reason. I am still holding out hope but how hard would it be to send a message saying...."I am sorry, I got tied u[ with XXXX......I will get your item out ASAP"

4 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

I was thinking that....But this morning I checked the forum and I went to his private wall or whatever you would call it. His last time online was last night so he has been on the forum, so he has scene that I have sent him messages and has chosen not too respond....

Don't give up on him yet..........

30 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

Contact AT mods bayberry he did something that got him banned or something. If not file with paypal

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

That this was a good idea so I just sent a private message to the AT mod for the classified section. I know he can't get my money back but figured it wouldn't hurt to make him aware of the issue....He had two of what he was selling and the other one was sold as well so I wonder if the other purchaser has heard anything...

That this was a good idea so I just sent a private message to the AT mod for the classified section. I know he can't get my money back but figured it wouldn't hurt to make him aware of the issue....He had two of what he was selling and the other one was sold as well so I wonder if the other purchaser has heard anything...

Yea gotta involve mods involved to see if something else happened...PayPal will refund money easy but gotta give him the chance

Give him benefit of the doubt to an extent. Don't let it get anywhere near the window at which you cannot claim money.

I only initiated a claim once against paypal. They found for me, but since the guy who ripped me had no money in his account they could not and would not make it good for me. I decided to show them what's what, and I went to my credit card company and disputed through them instead. Hopefully they in turn nailed paypal. This is why when I pay with paypal I do not use a paypal balance--always credit card, so that if I'm screwed I can get the money back from my credit card company and don't need to rely on the useless "goodwill" of paypal.

7 minutes ago, Core said:

Give him benefit of the doubt to an extent. Don't let it get anywhere near the window at which you cannot claim money.

I only initiated a claim once against paypal. They found for me, but since the guy who ripped me had no money in his account they could not and would not make it good for me. I decided to show them what's what, and I went to my credit card company and disputed through them instead. Hopefully they in turn nailed paypal. This is why when I pay with paypal I do not use a paypal balance--always credit card, so that if I'm screwed I can get the money back from my credit card company and don't need to rely on the useless "goodwill" of paypal.

Good idea Core, I wouldn't have thought of that....

Call him out in the general thread , let him know you you sent him a PM and are waiting to hear back on the purchase you just made . Give him the benefit of the doubt first obviously and go from there ,maybe ask if anyone else has heard from him since you last talked to him.

• Like 1

A good business selling on line should immediately confirm that they received payment and give some kind of idea when they intend to ship. I have found that folks that are operating and selling small time out of their homes unfortunately do not operate like Amazon or even ebay when it comes to this kind of stuff. Many of them that have several items for sale will wait several days so when they do ship it will be just one trip to the post office or UPS. 

From what you say this guy's selling history is he has not screwed anyone yet in 31 transactions and since it was just Friday you have only had two business days that have passed I would not panic yet. So before jumping the gun saying you have been ripped off I would give this guy a few more days to see how things play out because it is hard to know exactly what is going on behind the scenes with this operation

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I agree with you guys that a lot of time has not yet passed. This was a private person that I purchased the item from, not a company. I understand that the item may not have shipped yet and I don't care about that. What I care about is there has not been one communication from him since I sent my paypal payment. The only communication I got was from Paypal saying my payment has been accepted. This guy has been online numerous times since last Friday and it would take him two seconds to send me a message saying, Hey, I got your payment, I should have your item out by x/x. I will notify you when I ship it. The lack of correspondence (zero) from Friday morning until today is very concerning...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabin Fever said:

Did he have your address? Maybe he just put your item in the mail for you after he received payment, without letting you know? Some people aren't overly considerate or courteous enough to communicate. Just a thought and trying to give him the benefit of the doubt...

Unless Paypal lets him know my address ( I don't know ) he doesn't have it.

2 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Yea gotta involve mods involved to see if something else happened...PayPal will refund money easy but gotta give him the chance

Well the Mod for the classified forum on AT sent him a message and CC'd me. We will see if he responds to him.

• Like 1