Backpack Weight

fasteddie

Even though I am no longer able hike any great distances; knife, drag rope, water bottle, and a small baggie of crackers is my standard load-out these days, There was a time when carrying climbing sticks, a hang-on stand, an 11* pound shotgun, ridiculous amounts of ammo, and often camping gear including food was the norm. I was doing a lot of roofing in those days which is why I was able to carry a lot more than half my body weight for extended periods time . Then again it's also the reason I'm no longer able to do that.

stand is 20, sherpa game cart I bought is another 10, so we're 30 there and haven't even started. My pack is at least 10 including weight of it and the stuff in there, plus I normally hang my bow, so 45-50 if we're being honest. And this all goes with me even on short distance (of course on short the weight doesn't matter anyway). 

Looks ridiculous but last night I was playing with hanging my climber on my back and my backpack on my front and couldn't believe how comfortable it felt at least in my living room. Balances way better, but perhaps in the woods I'd soon figure out why nobody does it.

I am guilty of bringing to much. I have a smaller stand backpack and then a ground pack that is bigger with a waist belt because it carries my hammock chair and wall blind.

I also have a gallon sized ziplock with survival and first aid items in it. Packed to cover a night in the woods and a gunshot wound. I have one of these as well as a harvest/gut kit in each bag.

Then comes rangefinder if bowhunter. Small knife. And assorted head/hand layers.

As a former boy scout. The "be prepared" motto really stuck WI th me.

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

When I started I wore jeans and a black and green wool coat. Now I have clothes I wear driving to where I am hunting. Clothes that I walk into the woods in. A 30# back pack that has all my hunting clothes in it for the sit and I change before I get in the stand put my "walk-in"clothes in zippered baggies do the hunt and then change back into the walk in clothes to walk out. Crazy crazy crazy!!!

I'll have to weigh mine sometime. You should have seen the crap I carried in for the youth hunt. 2 strut chairs, my homemade deer wrap/drag, backpack was stuffed to where I almost couldn't zipper any of the pockets. Binocs, thermos of coffee, snacks, 2 tree umbrellas, range finder, knife, deer drag rope, field dressing needs, extra hats, gloves, handwarmers, muff, neckwarmers, tp, gerber tool, deer can, grunt tube, extra slugs, extra fleeces, I'm probably forgetting a lot. She was going to be comfortable as all my ability would allow !