Why do you go for bigger bucks?

stoneam2006

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I still don't get why this all started over Elmo's deer being called 1/2 year old. There is no way that his deer was born this year and had spikes and that wacky base both of which that came thru the skin. Will someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1/2 year old bucks are button bucks at most????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Button Bucks with good blood will be hard horn buttons in November-December, His deer was either an August born buck fawn last year or very poor blood and maybe even inbreeding of family members. He was a 1 yr and 2-3 months old at the least 

For me as far as doe I try not to shoot fawns I would rather shoot a mature doe, but I try not to to harp on anyone that does its your tag its your decision. I take my deer to a butcher and I would rather get 40#s of venison for my money rather than 20#s my butcher charges the same no matter how big the deer is. Also maybe I'm have a but of a soft side when it comes to shooting baby anything's, but once again that's just me I'm not ripping on other people that's not my style. When it comes to bucks I try to hold out until later in November unless it get a shot on a deer I can't refuse. I do this more as I have gotten older didn't always be this patient. The main reason I try to hold out for a buck is I love to hunt the tug hill region and in the area I hunt there are no doe tags so if you shoot a small buck in October your all done on the hill, I would rather hold off and hopefully bag a bigger buck during the rut while at the same time bying me more time hunting the area I grew up on.sorry for the long winded post!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Hang Em High said:

I 100% and respect what you're saying stoneam2006- I was actually not even the person who started this conversation. Just seems to have the strongest back bone to keep it going, but yes it is tough not to say anything after seeing a half dozen of so tiny deer harvested already on this forum. That is why I jumped in and said what I wanted to say, I am glad many agreed and disagreed with me, I think we all know deep down what is right. 

LJC No need to personal message me again or keep posting me about my location, I will not walk you to my stand either. I take out co workers and friends to my area without hesitation, I have no intrest in telling someone my area who has done nothing but doubt my integrity. A mans word is all he has, and I have been nothing but honest- so do us both a favor and don't doubt my word again !  

You brag on here but you don't actually say anything about your location you could at least say a town or county. 

Actually you did not even say if you shot them with a,gun or bow .

Why is that ?

The only reason is because you no  the place you hunt has no hunting pressure. 

Someplace nobody can get to 

Obviously you will not even mention the county . Nice racks where ever they came from 

6 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Those bucks could be from letchworth or that area. He did say in another thread he hasn't made it out yet but is tomorrow. 

Like its so important, but just an observation lol

To far for me anyway that's a 5 hour drive for me no thanks  lol

3 hours of driving about my limit lol 

6 hours ago, Hang Em High said:

I 100% and respect what you're saying stoneam2006- I was actually not even the person who started this conversation. Just seems to have the strongest back bone to keep it going, but yes it is tough not to say anything after seeing a half dozen of so tiny deer harvested already on this forum. That is why I jumped in and said what I wanted to say, I am glad many agreed and disagreed with me, I think we all know deep down what is right. 

LJC No need to personal message me again or keep posting me about my location, I will not walk you to my stand either. I take out co workers and friends to my area without hesitation, I have no intrest in telling someone my area who has done nothing but doubt my integrity. A mans word is all he has, and I have been nothing but honest- so do us both a favor and don't doubt my word again !  

You wrote this in a another post 

"your update definitely excites me. I am hunting a small block of woods, but is full of acorns- no corn by my woods, just a large 90 acre alfalfa field. I will have my tree umbrella on and try to sit all day. Looking forward to the weekend updates from the area."

Ge Didn't no state lands have alalfa fields on them lol 

And you wonder why your seeing all these big deer . :taunt::mda:

Nothing in those photos (hang em high) looked "mature" to me, the bottom line is you belittled someone for shooting a year and a half old deer when you clearly do the same. Does it make a difference if that 1.5yr old has 2 or 6 points? Nope, still not mature. If you consider a 2.5 yr old buck mature then you know about as much as I figured you did. You talked a big game and I truly was expecting better "quality" deer in your pictures due to your devotion to "big" bucks, maybe next time you should watch what you say until you have something to back it up. Noone is saying you can't have your opinion on shooting deer, (although yours contradicts itself completely), it's when you try to tarnish someone else's accomplishments because they aren't up to your standards. (There are several other words that come to mind for that but we'll keep it respectful since you're so easily offended all of a sudden.)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Hang Em High said:
I can't believe the lack of confidence people have from " State land " , the name calling and disrespect- real mature guys. 

Well only photos will validate me, and I think it is great how skeptical so many of you are that I harvested these on state land, and no I am not next to a farm which I was asked. I hunt solid timber, heavily hunted and I still always get the job done. I feel great shooting a nice buck after letting a smaller one walk by, here are photos of some of the racks, the other racks I have are at my Uncles cabin- including my biggest wall mount.

I was also asked what do i consider a mature buck ? Everyone of these bucks are mature- big body, good racks and NO WAY any of these are 1 1/2 like someone was commenting. These are all 2 1/2 - 4 1/2 year olds, for NY and state land these are GREAT mature Bucks. 

Lets see if you can keep the comments respectful this time- I doubt it ! 

LET THEM GROW- NO EXCUSES- #STEPUPYOURGAME
IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_3627.jpeg

Wow, now that's a shocker I was not expecting anything even close to that! Talk about talking the talk and failing to walk the walk! I was expecting way more than a decent 8 and a few 50" racks. Not that I give a darn what they score or weighed or how old they actually are because you seem to be happy with them and that's what's important!

Edited by WNYBuckHunter
inappropriate language, plese see the forum TOS
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Nothing in those photos (hang em high) looked "mature" to me, the bottom line is you belittled someone for shooting a year and a half old deer when you clearly do the same. Does it make a difference if that 1.5yr old has 2 or 6 points? Nope, still not mature. If you consider a 2.5 yr old buck mature then you know about as much as I figured you did. You talked a big game and I truly was expecting better "quality" deer in your pictures due to your devotion to "big" bucks, maybe next time you should watch what you say until you have something to back it up. Noone is saying you can't have your opinion on shooting deer, (although yours contradicts itself completely), it's when you try to tarnish someone else's accomplishments because they aren't up to your standards. (There are several other words that come to mind for that but we'll keep it respectful since you're so easily offended all of a sudden.)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree with you more. All I'm seeing are racks from 1.5 and 2.5 yo bucks in those pics. Hardly MATURE.

I would think someone so obnoxiously overly critical of the size of someone elses deer might have some size issues of their own they are trying to make up for.

Might want to give these a shot..... can't say if they will help or not, but obviously he doesn't have much to lose,lol

0084634500073_500X500.jpg

• Like 10

Well folks, I am on the back side of my hunting life and physical abilities, and all this talk about challenge and such takes on a little different meaning for me now. Right now, any deer that will get close enough during the limited hours and my diminishing abilities to climb these hills, has made itself a target (one point, a dozen points or no points at all). I am no longer out there to impress anybody but myself, and the only challenge that I am accepting anymore is to be able to continue to participate.....lol. It is no longer necessary for me to measure my worth by inches of antler. I'll just see how many more years I can still get to the deer, and I'll let the selections and harvests come out to be whatever opportunities I am lucky enough to encounter.

• Like 12

43 minutes ago, wooly said:

Couldn't agree with you more. All I'm seeing are racks from 1.5 and 2.5 yo bucks in those pics. Hardly MATURE.

I would think someone so obnoxiously overly critical of the size of someone elses deer might have some size issues of their own they are trying to make up for.

Might want to give these a shot..... can't say if they will help or not, but obviously he doesn't have much to lose,lol

Big LOL !!!

ChrisW You really need a lesson on whitetails, if you think ANY of those bucks 1 shot were  1 1/2. I am very familiar with seeing fawns ( button bucks) and 1 1/2's small spikes -3 or 4 pointers, clearly NONE of my bucks. I have been very fortunate harvesting 3 wall hangers off the state land, and I can count on my fingers the amount of time I have seen deer of that caliper. 2 1/2's and 3 1/2's are what I am after where I hunt

For the guys trying to play Super Troopers and re con where I hunt, Mount Morris is not 9P. If you look further then my last couple posts, I purchased a house I am flipping in Mount Morris 2 streets away from the park. I have read on this forum before, never had an account. Nor never wanted one, I never liked how many guys wine and bicker over silly rules or what people say. BUT I wanted to due my diligence and see what a mature buck was before heading out to the stand on the property.

Bozo ? Seems like you have a lot to learn about respect Buckmaster7600, im sure you won't honor your bet either- because you just LOST. My Sierra is full of car seats is factory height.

40 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

ChrisW You really need a lesson on whitetails, if you think ANY of those bucks 1 shot were  1 1/2. I am very familiar with seeing fawns ( button bucks) and 1 1/2's small spikes -3 or 4 pointers, clearly NONE of my bucks. I have been very fortunate harvesting 3 wall hangers off the state land, and I can count on my fingers the amount of time I have seen deer of that caliper. 2 1/2's and 3 1/2's are what I am after where I hunt

For the guys trying to play Super Troopers and re con where I hunt, Mount Morris is not 9P. If you look further then my last couple posts, I purchased a house I am flipping in Mount Morris 2 streets away from the park. I have read on this forum before, never had an account. Nor never wanted one, I never liked how many guys wine and bicker over silly rules or what people say. BUT I wanted to due my diligence and see what a mature buck was before heading out to the stand on the property.

Bozo ? Seems like you have a lot to learn about respect Buckmaster7600, im sure you won't honor your bet either- because you just LOST. My Sierra is full of car seats is factory height.

Like we can trust you. I caught you in one lie allready you said there was know farm land where you hunt but 

in one of your posts  you said you hunt near a 90 acre alfalfa field. 

59 minutes ago, Hang Em High said:

2 1/2's and 3 1/2's are what I am after where I hunt

Which are immature deer - as has been pointed out to you by several.

So stop saying you target mature bucks when in reality you shot the human equivalent of a teenager. Nothing wrong with shooting them legally - just not what you claim them to be.

• Like 2

Buddy idk what to say to you if you think a 2 1/2 year old is a mature deer. You can't harp on someone for killing a deer that can be just as dumb as a 1 1/2 year old in my experience. I'd say they're. It much more difficult to hunt. Also I have seen 1 1/2 year old bucks be the same caliber as some of the "mature" bucks you have harvested. This also supports what I'm saying about trophy being subjective. To you those deer are trophy deer, which is perfectly fine, but to me I would not consider that a trophy deer if i saw them in the woods.

• Like 2

What's you're address I'll get it in the mail today.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Hang Em High said:

This is what I have the biggest issue with.....Was your first buck you ever shot a so called Mature Whitetail? You have never in your life shot 1.5 yr old buck...even when you were 12 and out with your father? I guess if you haven't than awesome for you...

I have killed some 1.5 yr old deer and I was super excited to get them....I mean beyond excited...knees knocking...shaking...just super pumped...Then if I came on here and was basically told why did I shoot that little       *$%#@ deer...That would really bother me....we need more hunters to keep the tradition alive. Not belittling the ones that are out there. What point does that prove? Good for you, you have killed some beautiful deer. I will admit i wish my trophy room looked like that. Doesn't mean i wouldn't be happy for the guy that was excited about whatever deer he shot...

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

This is what I have the biggest issue with.....Was your first buck you ever shot a so called Mature Whitetail? You have never in your life shot 1.5 yr old buck...even when you were 12 and out with your father? I guess if you haven't than awesome for you...

I have killed some 1.5 yr old deer and I was super excited to get them....I mean beyond excited...knees knocking...shaking...just super pumped...Then if I came on here and was basically told why did I shoot that little       *$%#@ deer...That would really bother me....we need more hunters to keep the tradition alive. Not belittling the ones that are out there. What point does that prove? Good for you, you have killed some beautiful deer. I will admit i wish my trophy room looked like that. Doesn't mean i wouldn't be happy for the guy that was excited about whatever deer he shot...

In his 4th picture down, the one on the right could have easily been 1 1/2. We get yearlings on our farms that look like that almost every year.

Capture.JPG

• Like 3

Hang them High.. You have about as much credibility as hildorbeast clinton

Btw if Im not mistaken you hunt  in the part of the state  that produces the biggest racks in the state . So for that area those are nothing special just your average deer rack .  

Don't asume it's as easy in other areas of the state . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wooly said:

LOL Wow you guys are beating this guy up BAD! I have to defend him and say most of these bucks are 2 1/2 based on just rack size not 1 1/2.  There might be 1 maybe two at 1 1/2 but most 2 1/2.  I wouldn't consider them mature but decent NY bucks by most standards.