Tree stand position

pt0217

You know I've never used that thought when setting up...It's always been best position on tree and Sun/wind direction for timing of sits.  ie....I don't want the sun in my eyes for the shot or the sun lighting me up when they are approaching. Then in hills ,it's great to have the sun in their eyes as they approach. Wind ,well they tend not to do as I want and come in random directions so I preferred to not be uncomfortable and sit with the winters winds are freezing my face off. .I stand to shoot so awkwardness doesn't usually play in my decision.

• Like 3

Usually so I can see them coming. I had to have a discussion with one of the neighbors a few years ago because my ladder stand was about 15 yards off his property ,facing his property ,I always hunted that stand facing the tree ,it was at the top of the hill and I had no trees to keep the deer from skylighting me ,I had to use the tree to conceal me.

• Like 1

I face mine away from their anticipated approach direction to my left.

As long as you remain undetected and the deer continues on it's path, it offers you all the options of a quartering to, broadside, and quartering away shot.

Stands facing the action often present you with hard quartering to shots. The tree you're attached to can also restrict your draw when faced with a shot that presents itself straight ahead or to the right. Your harness may also play a role in how you hang your stands direction.

• Like 5

I like to find multiple trunked trees, or 3 or more trees growing withing 2 or 3 feet of each other, and get my stand inside the clump of them. That way you have plenty of cover and it doesnt really matter if you are facing the direction you expect them from or not. The biggest consideration with this is to use hang on stands, and I prefer those that have some foot platform and seat angle adjustment capability, because typically clump trees tend to have a lean to them.

8 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I like to find multiple trunked trees, or 3 or more trees growing withing 2 or 3 feet of each other, and get my stand inside the clump of them. That way you have plenty of cover and it doesnt really matter if you are facing the direction you expect them from or not. The biggest consideration with this is to use hang on stands, and I prefer those that have some foot platform and seat angle adjustment capability, because typically clump trees tend to have a lean to 

I wish I could find a tree like that where we hunt ,the 90 acres we hunt in friendship has been selective cut for many years and all the trees are singles,straight as an arrow.

• Like 1

I like to face because it's less swiveling of the head. But, when I got lucky early last month I was facing exactly away from the deer that came. As such I was able to move around and draw with the tree obscuring most of my movement and took him as he was at the 7 or 8 oclock position.

I'm spending far more time standing now in my stand so that I can be more prepared. Seated and having to get up just takes more time/movement.

I have a hang on in a double trunk and it leans a bit over the plot..I have taken several deer from this stand and the deer don't seem to notice it or me..though the swirling wind sometimes busts me but not often ...I have a cover of wht pines that I keep at 10 ft high behind me because they do look up when coming up from the ledge below. I wasn't hunting there because I could not legally shoot him last year on that date.

10-14-15 8pt under my stand.JPG

depends I like to setup with the stand angling 45 degrees into the parallel path of travel for the deer where I expect it's coming from.  deer would be on my left as I shoot right handed.  I have to have back cover though.  if a sense kicks in and they hang up and then try to pull a U-turn coming in I can maybe get a shot.  I've got lots of swing room to follow them through past the stand for a quartering away shot.  my dead space hard to my right that I can't really shoot is the farthest from the expected travel of the deer.  I try not to setup right on the trail.  I'd rather take a 30 yard shot than a shot under 10 yards.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We actually have lots of them. Not all spots that we hunt are setup like that, due to lack of clump trees, but that is what I look for first.

we haven't done a lot of TSI on my parent's farm versus other properties. so lots of clustered trees.  anything from white pine to maples.  I'm also of fan of hangons in "clump trees" with adjustable platforms and seats.

• Like 1

We have them both ways.  I prefer facing the action with the chance to either get up early if seated or wait until it passes and shoot it then.  Honestly, I just hate constantly checking over both shoulders but some stands, I have too.  Cover is important.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of my weekend hunt and for me I have one area to hunt and I'm at the mercy of the wind. I will be setting up east facing but there will be a big hill in front of me so I don't think the sun will be an issue. New spot this year. So I'm still trying to figure it out. I think I have found the spot. I'm hunting a beautiful break in a stone wall at the base of a hill where the deer come down from the highlands to feed. Cross my fingers everything comes together this weekend.
That's what I love about this sport. I've spent the week strategizing for this weekends hunt. If it comes together, you feel like you've succeeded even if you don't get the buck of your dreams. Getting it right is success as well.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wooly said:

I face mine away from their anticipated approach direction to my left.

As long as you remain undetected and the deer continues on it's path, it offers you all the options of a quartering to, broadside, and quartering away shot.

Stands facing the action often present you with hard quartering to shots. The tree you're attached to can also restrict your draw when faced with a shot that presents itself straight ahead or to the right. Your harness may also play a role in how you hang your stands direction.

This the same thing I do. Bow or gun, being right handed I try to have my shooting lanes to my left, and set my blinds or sits up accordingly. I also look at the area to pick out a few different ways to get in and set up depending on wind direction. It doesn't always work out, but it's how I like to do things. 

• Like 1

I try to place my ladder stands at a 90 degree angle to where I would expect the deer to approach from . If I thought the deer would be coming out ot the thick growth to the south of me I would place the stand facing west . This way I would be shooting to my left with no obstructions to the shooting form . If a deer approached directly from the west I might hit my elbow on the tree trunk when drawing . 

I also prefer a tree with multiple trunks if possibe . It gives you a bit more cover when the leaves are gone . 

That stand in the picture,I sat tonight...went out at 3 to find 3 deer directly under it...I duct  into path that comes in behind it, along the fence line with a doe estrus drag...I get 5 yards from deer and they spooked just a little going  bit less than 20 yrds past stand..Long and short of it..I made it up ladder and set up with them glancing my way every so often..They fed out there another 30 mins. Never knowing I was there, just to come back at close ,  close to the same spot to get spooked. Not by me but outr blk. cat that followed me over earlier. BTW 3 fawns..a doe started to come out but the sound of a stereo at the road and slowing cars sent her back up into the woods.

Edited by growalot