OK......Lets Hear It

DirtTime

I'd like to see something more on tracking and reading sign, I see a big emphasis on cameras and planting food and much less talk about woodsman skills and actual hunting and this ground is perfect for reading sign, perfect.

then again you don't see ice cream in the flavor of Burnt Hair because there is no interest in that...it is very very different in this NY world, perhaps there is no interest in these things here.

Another member posted this. So, I will kick it off......

How would you hunt if you didn't have trail cams or apps to help scout deer?

I have no cams, and I don't use any hunting apps. This year has been fun trying to learn 3 new public land areas. Scouting, learning, meeting up with a fellow member of this site and doing a small game hunt/scout trip, scouting to locate areas for my g/f to be able hunt for her first year, and just over all being in the woods and getting familiar with the new areas I have around me. Looking at runs, locating bedding/feeding.water areas. It's just the essence of hunting! It doesn't get any better then going into areas you have had boots on the ground, know where the runs/rubs/scrapes are, and trying to set up for the terrain and wind. 

• Like 1

I go by past  observed movements and available food terrain and cover..ie ...I mentioned the other day right now they are hitting the poison ivy berries hard right now and falling wild grapes.Travel patterns have become problematic with the new farming that has moved in and the fact they have basically 200 acres of sanctuary right now until gun season opens. Also with the pack of yotes in the area...they are sticking very close to all buildings...thus last nights failed hunt and the hundreds of pictures near our old goat and equipment barns..all the road crossings right off ppls drives and yards

Edited by growalot

The same way I do now other than I have app to tell me wind and look at maps. I get out durring gun season year after year and walk and learn as much as I can seems to work. I am biased tho as I have hunted all the same property my entire life and my dad has also. Mostly stateland

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Right now, with the leaves immediately covering up all ground sign, it is pretty tough to be looking for trails, tracks, droppings and such. Things occurring above ground are where your focus for scouting has to be right now. Even scrapes can cover up pretty fast with leaves. However, rubs, and browse activity, can tell you a bit of something. But really the main scouting should have already been done prior to leaf-drop. There is a lot to be said of prior hunting experience, but remember past performance is not an indicator of future results. Crops change, natural food sources change or may not even exist from one year to the next. Hunting pressure and other land-use activities can change patterns.

Of course topographical maps can point out pinch points and other land features that promote deer travel. Satellite maps can show swamps and fields and thickets that may suggest likely travel and bedding routes and locations.

• Like 1

This is the first year really using cams and Primos wind checker ap but :

The first year I hunted where I do many years ago ( my brothers property) I had never been in those woods before. It was ML season   I walked into woods thru snow and soon found deer trail upon deer trail in the snow and saw where deer were digging for apples   I sat down in the snow in my snow camo against a blow down and waited. Not 5 minutes I see a doe, 15 minutes later I see a buck and then another. I shot one buck. Sadly still my best buck to date too. Snow has been my best way to find out what deer do in the winter. Spring turkey season helps to see what deer are doing as well but that sign changes once temps drop and greenery becomes less   Since then I've used cams , topo maps etc  They pretty only confirm what I've already known with boots to the ground and many hours in the woods 

Good thread rob and slickrockspek 

IMG_1450.JPG

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Doc said:

Right now, with the leaves immediately covering up all ground sign, it is pretty tough to be looking for trails, tracks, droppings and such.

Right now I like the leaves resetting the tracks daily.  Lets me know what is fresh if I can spot them.  With the ground being soft I can tell if leaves are smushed into the ground but not covered by new leaves dropping that they are fresh.

• Like 2

I'd like to see something more on tracking and reading sign, I see a big emphasis on cameras and planting food and much less talk about woodsman skills and actual hunting and this ground is perfect for reading sign, perfect.

then again you don't see ice cream in the flavor of Burnt Hair because there is no interest in that...it is very very different in this NY world, perhaps there is no interest in these things here.

Another member posted this. So, I will kick it off......

How would you hunt if you didn't have trail cams or apps to help scout deer?

I have no cams, and I don't use any hunting apps. This year has been fun trying to learn 3 new public land areas. Scouting, learning, meeting up with a fellow member of this site and doing a small game hunt/scout trip, scouting to locate areas for my g/f to be able hunt for her first year, and just over all being in the woods and getting familiar with the new areas I have around me. Looking at runs, locating bedding/feeding.water areas. It's just the essence of hunting! It doesn't get any better then going into areas you have had boots on the ground, know where the runs/rubs/scrapes are, and trying to set up for the terrain and wind. 

Same way I do in the Adirondacks, cover country and learn what to look for. Know when to get somewhere and when to slow down and creep. I'm always asked about trail cam pics up north and I have no desire, it's way more enjoyable for me to track my buck shoot him in his bed then count points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

buckmaster, I'm amazed you don't run any cams and just scout, scout and scout. Good stuff right there.

The next year after killing my buck I found a great trail running along a small trout stream. I mean heavily traveled. I set my ladder stand up over it. I sat for 3 dark to darks starting opening day. Lol, not one deer seen. It was a night trail apparently . Thought I knew what I was doing too:rolleyes:

• Like 1

buckmaster, I'm amazed you don't run any cams and just scout, scout and scout. Good stuff right there.
The next year after killing my buck I found a great trail running along a small trout stream. I mean heavily traveled. I set my ladder stand up over it. I sat for 3 dark to darks starting opening day. Lol, not one deer seen. It was a night trail apparently . Thought I knew what I was doing toodefault_rolleyes.gif

I run cams around the house just not up at camp.

I guess that I'm old fashioned...I have a couple of trailcams and use them mostly for entertainment ( as I do this forum) and for security duty around the property.

As far as my actual hunting goes, I could throw them away tomorrow and never miss them a bit.

Of course, this isn't my first day off the turnip truck...I still rely mostly on my ability to read sign

• Like 5

For me there is nothing like a good snow cover that has been on the ground for several days, it can really provide some valuable info to read about how when and where they have been traveling within an area. Don't look like that is going to happen any time soon.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pygmy said:

I guess that I'm old fashioned...I have a couple of trailcams and use them mostly for entertainment ( as I do this forum) and for security duty around the property.

As far as my actual hunting goes, I could throw them away tomorrow and never miss them a bit.

Of course, this isn't my first day off the turnip truck...I still rely mostly on my ability to read sign

Same here.....

I bought 2 cams first time this year, set one in woods and got a bunch of local deer pics, seen all of them anyway, but it was fun for a month. Now that one is around the shop/driveway and the other I gave away as a thank you gift.

• Like 1

No cams here.never have used one.also dont get in the woods very much so dont go above and beyond with cams and scouting.if had more opportunity to be in stand i may think of investing in cam or two.only sat or sun mornings.maybe both if im lucky.just try to do the best i can with where the activity is on property i hunt(only 36 acres)

Many people on here have hunted the same land for years, be it public or private. After some time, you get to know the land pretty well, and know where deer will ( should ) be.

The first thing I do for new land is a map search and look for water, and possible bedding areas. Food sources can be varied, hunting near farm land will be noticeable from the maps, nuts and foliage will not be so visible unless you are in there. Then it's time to hit the woods on foot. Looking for old rubs and trails that get used a lot. Deer can be crazy and unpredictable, while being habitual at the same time. The frustration of their love to do what we don't expect is what keeps many of us going back.

I agree with a good snow, my top reason for that is the deer stand out more against the landscape. The other best reasons have already been mentioned. Tracking wounded deer in snow beats doing it on leaves.

• Like 2

Maps are key! 7 or 8 years ago I was home on leave for thanksgiving and we had no snow in the ADKS looked at some weather reports and found out that northern NH was getting snow that night.
Bought my license online found a state land map did a quick google maps search of the area I wanted to get to. Got in the truck around 1am started driving shot this buck around 1pm after getting on his track at 930am. It was a hellacious drag out and colder than a bastard but it was awesome to drive 5hrs to a spot I had never been with very minimal info on the land. The scary part was my buddy that went with me nor I had a gps at the time we just parked and said see you at dark, I was late way late.77dae91329528f839d5072455289794e.jpg

• Like 2

I use cams for entertainment,and the let you see what is wondering around your spots when you are not there.Nothing beats eyes in the woods though. Leave a cam in same spot long and you will see some deer have a set time they pass it and which direction they are traveling when they go through.Right now I have a nice 8 point going past a cam every am at 7:40 headed east. That will soon change though. I think if you rely on cams only for scouting, you are limiting your self and the info you get.

Get in the woods boots on the ground eyes looking at everything. Best way to find out what those critters are actually doing.

Been hunting this way for 29 years and it has taken years of dedicated research, scouting/hunting and remembering general knowledge of how the doe and bucks travel, bed and if possible eat to put it all together and make it work.  I still learn and try to improve something every year and feel I always have room for improvement.

Just like on private land if you find a good area it will tend to hold deer.  Food, pinch points, tracking in snow and generally covering some area have all help me locate deer.   If you learn how to call deer you get even more action!  If you see no deer or good sign go to another spot until you find one or a few you like. 

Reading the sign, rubs, scraps, food preference and pattern, doe beds, travel routes and escape routes all help when hunting.  Some of the best knowledge I have personally gained was when I tracked bucks on fresh snow but this is not always possible.  (First you have to find them!)   Most of this knowledge can be learned in books but you have to put the boots to the ground and really study the deer woods to understand how they utilize it.

Putting everything together is what really counts and I have been lucky enough to get it done a few times and had more than my share of mistakes along the way. 

Explaining how to do all this is really hard to do but a few things are needed to become a good deep woods deer hunter. 

1) Knowledge and most of all experience.  Having good knowledge of deer only works if you can use it for hunting.  Knowing how many glands on a deer or the weight of a fawn is nice but cant help you when hunting.  Knowing the difference between a doe and a buck track however will help or that a dark tarsal that smells musky means something.  The more you observer and study the more you learn and gain better insight to how deer work.  Knowing how to use a grunt or fawn bleet is good but hearing it in person and then having confidence in that call is experience.   Same with rubs, scraps, food source and travel routes.  Seeing any of this in person is the experience that tells you what you are doing is working and gives you the confidence to execute a plan to get your deer because of the insight you have gained.  No substitute for experience along with good knowledge.

2) Food:  Anytime I hunt I always look for food deer can eat.  (This is one of the hardest things for me.)  Beechnuts and general foliage and brows especially in streams or swamps.  

3) Remembering any location you jump them from a bed, food source or travel route.  Getting up high and glassing is always good to cover area, scouting river beds, ends, swamps and other thick cover along with hunting ridgetops are good ways of locating deer.  (In many deep woods, locating deer is the hardest basically due to low populations.)  When the snow hits I try to cover some ground I know should cross a few well known trails to pick up a buck track.  Often the next morning finds me back on the same track deep in the woods with activity at dawn. 

4) Woods, land and how to navigate.  Study topo maps for terrain and elevation features along with birds eye view will help locate good area's to focus when hunting and locate travel routes sometimes even food sources and natural barriers.   Having the confidence to follow a track regardless of where it goes is what you will need to track in the snow or follow a trail into unknown area.  Maps, GPS and compass are invaluable tools if you know how to use them well.

5) Go in early and stay late.  Be prepared for dark with good flashlights and extra batteries for GPS and lights.  Be ready to sit the last part of the cold day with extra clothes and food to keep your mind on hunting and not what's for dinner.

6)  Tracking any deer will give you valuable data,the more you do it the more you will learn!  Doe are the best bait for bucks so tracking them can help locate bucks or other doe groups.  Bucks tend to drag their feet and have a wider stance and gait than doe.  Often a doe has fawns or yearlings with them resulting in more tracks vs solo buck tracks.  Buck tracks of older deer usually weigh more so they sink in deeper and are noticeably larger.  Bucks tend to go around trees they can't easily get there antlers through and can give you a rough antler size if you track them long enough. 

7)  Base your success on what you accomplish,  some hunters might have great land or high population at their disposal many public hunters do not. 

8 )  Most successful hunters scout, are excellent with their weapons, patient and above all persistent. 

9)  Hunt how you like to hunt, learn from your mistakes and always try to improve something every year.

10) Enjoy the woods and the adventures you go on and never be afraid to see what is over the next hill, valley or mountain its just the next journey!

Good luck, hope some of this helps!  Never used a trail cam or app for hunting.  

• Like 3