weather for Sunday of the southern opener is looking good

rob-c

That was my first year hunting....buddy took me down to a property his family hunted for years....he ended up shooting a small doe and it was a mother hauling deer and gear to the road. We were hoofing it thru waste deep snow....finally got to the road and loaded the deer into his truck.and started to strip down and recover from pure exhaustion. Out of no where a few doe bust across the road in front of us and when the yearling jumped the ditch it disappeared cause the snow was so deep!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just be careful out there this weekend guys...rain, dropping temps, then snow on top of that...roads and woods will be a mess...remember  there are a lot of dead trees and limbs out there due to lack of rain this summer...heavy wet snow will bring them down fast, and stands may be slick...Be safe.

• Like 5

I just looked at the updated forecast for 8P. I don't like it one bit. Saturday 65 rain in the afternoon. Temps drop at night snow all day Sunday into Monday afternoon. Total snow 8-12 ". Got to shoot them Saturday morning. Grow you are so right about the woods, I will pass that along to my hunters. 

Advice please, do you think the following weather conditions are huntable on Sunday?:  [Forecast for West Valley, NY] Snow. Winds will be gusty at times during the morning. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 80%. 3 to 5 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph." I would think that deer movement would be curtailed, but more importantly, visibility and ballistic accuracy would be severely challenged. I've thought about putting up a blind, but would not be able to do so until that morning (in the dark).

15 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Advice please, do you think the following weather conditions are huntable on Sunday?:  [Forecast for West Valley, NY] Snow. Winds will be gusty at times during the morning. Temps nearly steady in the low to mid 30s. Winds WNW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of snow 80%. 3 to 5 inches of snow expected. Winds could occasionally gust over 40 mph." I would think that deer movement would be curtailed, but more importantly, visibility and ballistic accuracy would be severely challenged. I've thought about putting up a blind, but would not be able to do so until that morning (in the dark).

I'm in the same area and I'll be out for sure 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Yep so the weather forecast has officially made up my mind on getting my ground blind moved out into my big field. I wish I had a small platform for it to give me a little better view. Might have to see if I can whip something up quick....

Maybe some wood pallets? But footprint of blind is probably bigger than pallet's.

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

Deer movement will depend on hunters being out there, you gotta go, you never know

From the looks of it in the central part of the state. Saturday morning should be just fine. 40 degrees in the am. The shit weather and rain and wind starts coming in the afternoon, also over 60 degrees. Then overnight rain, the ground will be too warm and wet to hold any snow until maybe Monday night or Tuesday night. Of course this will change 4 times over the next 4 days and possibly still be wrong!!