Shooting 101 know what's behind your target

Zag

That's just sad. This is why during the gun season for deer I always set up where I am shooting down at my target. If I could hunt from a tree stand I would all the time.

This is why boots on the ground scouting is so important! Not to just locate deer, but to know your surroundings and if any homes, buildings, or anything are in the area you might hit, and where they are. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, 22Plinker said:

not just shooting.  Twice this year i had people scope me.  I don't understand why hunters don't buy bino's.  for the most part you get larger field of magnified vision with higher mag than a scope.  Hell I carry a cheap pair of 10x that are small, light weight and work great.

i would be having a 1 sided conversation with that person and it would not be a friendly one at that!  

completely uncalled for...ever.. under ANY circumstance, and for absolutely NO reason. !

as far as the original post content, again absolutely no excuse whatsoever for that to happen. Once again another hunter that is extremely careless and even more so extremely lucky that a person was not hit.

people need to wake up and remember SAFETY is your #1 priority when hunting, there is not a deer walking the planet that is worth risking someones life for.  with the technology out there today saying you didn't know there was a house there is not a valid excuse! know your area, know your target and know whats beyond your target as not following that statement cause affect you for the remainder of your life as well as the entire family of the victim.

this is not hollywood, nor a video game, there are no retakes, do overs, resets, pauses, once you pull the trigger its done so you better be sure what and where your shooting.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, reeltime said:

with the technology out there today saying you didn't know there was a house there is not a valid excuse! know your area, know your target and know whats beyond your target as not following that statement cause affect you for the remainder of your life as well as the entire family of the victim.

I agree somewhat, but never just rely on the gizmo's. The only true way to know the area you hunt is getting your a$$ out there and walking it. Google image is usually dated, and you never know what was built in the year or more since the image was taken.

Boots on the ground! 

A few years ago a hunter was shooting at a deer on the North side of Rt 104 and put a slug through a window by the entrance of Phil's Auto . The land at the shop is probably at least 10 feet higher than the field level plus the hole in the window was another 5 1/2 feet from the ground . So , I wonder what the heck the guy was shooting at ........  Phil's son , Mike , had just walked past the window a few seconds earlier . Had he been a tad bit slower , he would be dead . 

The slug crossed Rt 104 ( 4 lanes of traffic ) , entered a window ( 15+ feet higher than the area the shooter was standing ) , through a wall and stopped at a steel column . The shooter was apprehended by the authorities . 

Know your target and what lies beyond.  Thankfully, this is not a common occurrence, but all hunters need to do everything they can to avoid making such mistakes; besides the fact that someone could've gotten killed, this kind of stuff gives the hunting community at large a bad image.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If you see someone scope you a sucker punch to the face is perfectly acceptable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no sucker punch.... they'll see it coming.  follow up punches too for every 10 yards they watch it coming through their scope, because the safety is on and/or they think the gun is unloaded.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder about the law about 500 feet from any occupied building when hunting/shooting knowing full well a bullet can/will travel a lot further then 500 feet

I'll never forgot hunting with a former neighbor one opening season on land owned by his friend. After waiting for the sun to rise I found myself surrounded by homes, all over 500 feet away, therefore it was "legal" to hunt there. After the morning hunt I never went back there, my old neighbor, who I still occasionally see tells me he still hunts there and now brings his daughter there to target shoot. I'm hoping not to read about them in the local paper.