Crossbow/gun and whitetail population

nodeerhere

For the past 19-20 years I've hunted a private farm in Coshocton county, just east of Danville off of 36. It was awesome, during gun week, it would be none stop shooting all day long, I saw groups of deer all day long, this year it went a couple of hours without hearing a shot. I shot a few bucks over the years, nothing real big, saw a few, saw others with big ones. All of the other guys in the group hunted with cross bows. Nothing really got shot during bow season, its kinda of far away for us to really scout it out. With in the last 10 years the AMISH have moved into the area, thats when we all noticed a change. Go on the Ohio forums, nobody is saying how great it is, nobody says anything about the AMISH, I don't get it. Granted, you don't see that many deer hit on the roads anymore. All I can say is, don't go filling everyones freezer, don't believe everything they do on the out door channel, QUIT SHOOTING ALL THE DOE. You won't have any deer left. I can't believe there are 2 guy's from Vermont that  lease that farm I hunt for $5000.00 a week for the first 2 weeks of November, that won't last much longer, Ohio's shot out compared to what it was. Its not the cross bow, I don't shoot one, maybe some day I'll have to. It's not the poaching, that will happen regardless you can't control that. Just don't over harvest. Good luck and let me know where the fight is going to take place.

• Like 1

With the average age of a NYS deer hunter being in the late '40's, I guess in 20 or so years we'll have about half the number of hunters we do,today . Should be plenty of deer no,matter what weapons are allowed .

See all is well ..... 

Ohio has a different climate, more "big ag", different soil, different topography.  It all contributes to a different deer herd.  

Actually Ohio is very evenly split similar to NY with balance of ag land vs mountain/hill country.

In fact the soil quality is similar in ag land because of the glacial deposits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Larry302 said:

With the average age of a NYS deer hunter being in the late '40's, I guess in 20 or so years we'll have about half the number of hunters we do,today . Should be plenty of deer no,matter what weapons are allowed .

See all is well ..... 

Be careful what you wish for. Twenty years from now lots can happen. For instance, we might be living in "the good old days" of deer hunting. What if a disease wiped out the deer, or a political or fashionable theory took away our hunter's rights? I want to be optimistic for you young guys to have the hunting that I've had and have. But there is a lot of negative trends out there.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 10:17 AM, Buckstopshere said:

Never implied that it was the "savior" just that it seems to be a logical, judicious move that would help to a lesser or greater degree, the problem areas. Certainly, there are other, perhaps more critical points to address like access. But hey, it seems like opening those specific units to crossbow would be a better alternative than the two-week buck moratorium the DEC tried year before last.:rolleyes: 

Now there is an idea that I could get behind .... BUT ..... There is a problem with popping weapons in and out of specific areas based on ever-changing deer population numbers. These x-bows are not cheap, and people will not lay out that kind of money on a weapon that may be used for a few years and then pulled out based on what the deer populations are for each year.

However, I have to agree that almost anything would be better than that failed ridiculous plan that the DEC came up with when they put WMU population control exclusively on the backs of bow hunters. Now that really was dumb!

Edited by Doc
  • Like 2

Now there is an idea that I could get behind .... BUT ..... There is a problem with popping weapons in and out of specific areas based on ever-changing deer population numbers. These x-bows are not cheap, and people will not lay out that kind of money on a weapon that may be used for a few years and then pulled out based on what the deer populations are for each year.
However, I have to agree that almost anything would be better than that failed ridiculous plan that the DEC came up with when they put WMU population control exclusively on the backs of bow hunters. Now that really was dumb!

The plan was made to be and simply say "we gave you a chance"- so here comes the ML in 18. Look at the youth season, the antlerless only you mentioned, crossbows.... whether you like these or not doesn't matter. The DEC said here you go- deal with it.

Most hunters in ny know nothing more than NYON tells them... and the state prays on that. The initiative has never changed- minimize deer-human negative interactions. Traffic being the foremost leader. This correlates to the most private land and highest traffic volume upstate having the excess number of does. They lie- and most take their medicine and get back in line for the next serving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, Buckstopshere said:

Be careful what you wish for. Twenty years from now lots can happen. For instance, we might be living in "the good old days" of deer hunting. What if a disease wiped out the deer, or a political or fashionable theory took away our hunter's rights? I want to be optimistic for you young guys to have the hunting that I've had and have. But there is a lot of negative trends out there.

" you young guys " Hey thanks I plan on retiring this coming May, perhaps  the following  year it's a toss up right now , so not to many call me young , but I get it as I sometimes act like a 12 y/o .

My post was somewhat tongue in cheek, that is hunting numbers are  dropping and seems that a much larger drop is on the horizon ,something I see as a much bigger threat , than crossbows . The whole rearranging the deck chairs while the Titanic is sinking thing .

Something I think you agree with, without numbers it's harder to get the politicians attention , fight the antis , have state land access for hunting and on and on .

37 minutes ago, nodeerhere said:

since I've made so many friends here:rofl:. I have a question off topic. When do u guys start shed hunting. Cause I've never found one and spend lots of time each yr trying! And tips? I can't wait to get some kinda of negative feed back from this! Somehow I'm sure

To many more posts like this and you probable wont have to worry about to many people replying back to you....

28 minutes ago, nodeerhere said:

Yeah 4seasons it was about what I was expecting from the guys who just want to argue. I was hoping to hear from the guys who didn't want to argue! There are a few on here. 

Seems to me, that YOU like to argue as much, if not more, than anyone else on the site! Good luck with your shed hunting.

since I've made so many friends heredefault_rofl.gif. I have a question off topic. When do u guys start shed hunting. Cause I've never found one and spend lots of time each yr trying! And tips? I can't wait to get some kinda of negative feed back from this! Somehow I'm sure

If you run cameras all winter it will give a good clue. We don't have any snow here so maybe I'll go out this week

2 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

since I've made so many friends here:rofl:. I have a question off topic. When do u guys start shed hunting. Cause I've never found one and spend lots of time each yr trying! And tips? I can't wait to get some kinda of negative feed back from this! Somehow I'm sure

Here in Allegany County, the bucks are still carrying...I have found a few sheds by looking not only where the bucks are feeding at the time they shed, here in the woods, but also to the entrance and exit areas. So for food...in spring seeps, old apple trees, and of course cut cornfields and heavy mast (acorns.) And keep your head up...sheds are where you find them. Some I have found in buck thorn and hawthorn trees. Deer like to feed on the little purple berries in the winter...and sometimes the antlers fall off. Also, they push through the thick scrub thorns on the way to a field or feeding area and leave them there. But there is a cost to pay shed hunting like that. One, you have to be on the thinner side, two, wear eye protection, dangerous with so many thorns, and three wear a rip-stop type nylon jacket. Anything wool, or polar fleece gets torn apart, and/or is a pain because it is keeps getting hung up in the thick spots. Good luck! The thicker the thorns the better. And if you have multiflora rose...thick. It is a sanctuary. If you want to find sheds, you have to go where they are:rolleyes:

since I've made so many friends heredefault_rofl.gif. I have a question off topic. When do u guys start shed hunting. Cause I've never found one and spend lots of time each yr trying! And tips? I can't wait to get some kinda of negative feed back from this! Somehow I'm sure

If you run cameras all winter it will give a good clue. We don't have any snow here so maybe I'll go out this week

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thanks man. I wasn't expecting u to answer. But thank u. I have no snow either. U think they are dropping this early? I hear mixed reviews. Some guys say the big ones drop early. It just something to do to make winter go by. Plus anything found is a bonus! 

Thanks man. I wasn't expecting u to answer. But thank u. I have no snow either. U think they are dropping this early? I hear mixed reviews. Some guys say the big ones drop early. It just something to do to make winter go by. Plus anything found is a bonus! 

I saw two nice racks that were still attached two nights ago. Can be any time from now on. I've seen them still attached in late March.

And always happy to assist anyone I can. Most on here are the same. Just because we don't see eye to eye on a couple topics doesn't mean we don't share quite a few with the past time we all live. I was serious about buying the beers. Would like to discuss some of the topics face to face.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, nodeerhere said:

Yeah 4seasons it was about what I was expecting from the guys who just want to argue. I was hoping to hear from the guys who didn't want to argue! There are a few on here. 

Ha-ha-ha..... I like to argue. But eventually, just like the election, you have to realize when an issue has reached the point of not being arguable any more and simply move on. Just like the election, the crossbow issue is pretty much a done deal. One side won, one side lost. It is done.

But, I am still a sucker for the old crossbow debate and things like it where someone is trying to force themselves into bow season.....lol. So, I am taking a break on this one and waiting for the next similar debate........ and there will always be another one. I suppose when the muzzleloaders want to get an even bigger bite in the bow season, there will be another debate with a different twist to it. Or maybe the air-gunners will take a liking to the bow season ..... or maybe some other wacky weapon that we're not even aware of yet. Everybody has their eye on bow season even though everybody thinks it all ends with just the crossbow.

Call it all whatever you want, arguing, debating, discussing, it all forms the lion's share of what forums are all about. So let's get on to the next one!

• Like 1