Does everyone else have "THE" gun?

Buckmaster7600

16 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Now that I think about it 20 is probably a low number. Let's see I have 6 870's 4 500's 2 1100's 2 1187's an 835 a Benelli a franchi 2 1300's 3 H&Rs a couple old side by sides 2 savage 24's and a 42 a red label and a citori a maverick over under. I'm sure I'm forgetting some and the 8 or 10 that dad had. I guess 40 would be closer. I really have a problem no wonder my wife complains every time I come home with "more guns."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a nice collection indeed. I guess I'm mostly a gun is a tool guy. I have 2 shotguns (mosberg835 and browning auto slug gun) and really need a 3rd as my mosberg with additional bird barrel isn't ideal. Requires me to remove my scope and repatern in the spring if I put the bird barrel on. So I'm more about, what does this particular gun offer that one of my current guns doesn't. If I had the money I guess it'd be cool to have a turkey, pheasant and duck gun.

Hypocritically I did buy a stainless kimber 1911 because I wanted it and not because I needed it.

Edited by Belo

10 hours ago, fasteddie said:

Sorry to derail the topic but it always makes me nervous to see a gun leaning against a tree . 

especially a tree like that! lost a vx-2 scope as a young kid leaning against a truck. it slid and smaked the rocky ground hard. The scope held but the reticle was never the same :sorry:

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Actually I have 2, one is a .22 marlin glenfield 60 (known now as the model 60) this was given to me by my father and will be passed down to my son. The stock has saw some better days but still drives tacks with the 1000s of rounds I put through that thing as a kid. The other is my 870 express mag in 20 ga. my grandfather gave me for my 12th birthday. The following year I scrounged up all my x-mas money to buy a hastings slug barrel for it. 2 guns I will never part with and teach my son to shoot once he gets old enough.

The other thing very sentimental isn't a gun but when I turned 13 my grandfather bought me my lifetime license and did the same for my son this past x-mas granted the kid is only 2 but for the the price they are now past 3 years old it's a no brainier. 

• Like 1

For me it has to be plural "The Guns", I have several of my Dad's firearms that I will not part with and they will be handed down to my two son's. The past several hunting seasons I have made it a point to hunt with my Dad's guns and try to take some game with them. His Marlin 95 45-70 was the last gun he took a Deer with and I have used that one several times with success. This year I broke out his old Winchester 88 284 and never had a shot at a buck, hopefully next year that will change. The next one in line to be used is his old Savage 99 30-30 that was manufactured in Utica in the late 30s when my Dad worked there before he signed up for the Navy. Just bought some 30-30 dies to load some ammo and will be playing around with that rifle this summer. This year I used his like new Franchi 48 AL 20 ga for the first time small game game hunting, Dad purchased it for Deer hunting and it had a Buck barrel for firing slugs. I found a 24 inch vent rib barrel with screw in chokes, put that on and man that thing is sweet. I shot a few clay targets with it to become familiar and took it out and bagged my young Airedale's first grouse flush with it. Have so many good memories of hunting with my Dad and of course I miss him a lot, so for me there is a lot personal satisfaction using my Dad's hunting guns and being successful with them.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Very nice BM, awesome story. Its hard but to do, but its much needed from time to time. Just reminiscing in the favorite hunting spots.. I feel you there my friend

As for go to guns, Dad handed down to me as a kid, a Mossberg .22 that his father handed down from his father. I don't remember the model and don't have a picture of it on hand, but it was a 1938 mossberg bolt action .22. had the wood stock nearly the whole length of the barrel, and old iron sights. What a smooth tack driving gun that is. Dad was also given a brand new 1st gen Mossberg 500 when he turned 16, and since that day hes deer hunted with it every single year, all season long. I couldnt imagine how many deer, turkey, small game etc.. fell victim to it.

Another that really meant alot to me was the Savage 7mm-08 i bought him for X-mas in 2015.. he never fired a rifle in his life and was always a shotgun guy.. it was safe to say he was excited about receiving this gun.. the day never came for him to use it so this gun has been my dedicated deer gun for now. Ive taken several deer with his 12ga. But this gun needs the attention he would have given it.. 

I had a favorite 12ga Mossberg 500 my father helped me buy when i first turned 18, but i no longer own it.. let my brother borrow it for deer season and he had the bright idea of taking it to the pawn shop when he was done instead of returning it back to me.. along with a couple others..

• Like 1

Very nice BM, awesome story. Its hard but to do, but its much needed from time to time. Just reminiscing in the favorite hunting spots.. I feel you there my friend
As for go to guns, Dad handed down to me as a kid, a Mossberg .22 that his father handed down from his father. I don't remember the model and don't have a picture of it on hand, but it was a 1938 mossberg bolt action .22. had the wood stock nearly the whole length of the barrel, and old iron sights. What a smooth tack driving gun that is. Dad was also given a brand new 1st gen Mossberg 500 when he turned 16, and since that day hes deer hunted with it every single year, all season long. I couldnt imagine how many deer, turkey, small game etc.. fell victim to it.
Another that really meant alot to me was the Savage 7mm-08 i bought him for X-mas in 2015.. he never fired a rifle in his life and was always a shotgun guy.. it was safe to say he was excited about receiving this gun.. the day never came for him to use it so this gun has been my dedicated deer gun for now. Ive taken several deer with his 12ga. But this gun needs the attention he would have given it.. 
I had a favorite 12ga Mossberg 500 my father helped me buy when i first turned 18, but i no longer own it.. let my brother borrow it for deer season and he had the bright idea of taking it to the pawn shop when he was done instead of returning it back to me.. along with a couple others..

My dad handed down a old bolt action mossberg .22 to me when I was a little guy. My grandfather gave it to my dad when he was a young boy so I plan to continue the tradition and give it to my sons for them to learn on. I must have thousands of rounds through that gun. Been shooting it for 23 years now. It's my all time favorite gun and I will never ever forget the memories it's given me. From learning to shoot beer cans off the porch at camp with my old man being proud as hell in front of my uncle for the little crack shot I was. To shooting my first squirrel, I remember it all.

It's ironic I came across this thread and that someone else has a old mossberg bolt .22 because I was just out back this morning for a little stroll on the quad and brought my .22 with me. 4eab5c03477ac5f76c83f2f341b89acb.jpg
  • Like 3

I have my fathers 12 ga. Parker Brothers Trojan side by side double. It was the first shotgun I ever shot at 12 yrs old.  It threw me back against the house & I was about 3 ft. away. If I remember right both barrels went off at once, I still feel it lol.  My first & favorite was a Ithaca 16 ga. which I bought with my first real pay check & still have plus a few more about 10 total.

• Like 1

Buckmaster...Nice way to pay tribute to your father. I am sure it would mean a lot to him.

19 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Mine is an Ithaca SKB  20 gauge side by side.... 25 "  BBls and choked  IC and Mod....

I bought it used ( but like new) in the early 70s with money which I got from fox pelts, as I was doing a lot of fox calling at the time..

I paid  $200 for it...It killed my first spring gobbler in 1975 ..Since then it has been my main upland bird/ bunny rabbit gun...Also killed it's share of waterfowl, when lead shot was allowed...It has its share of honorable scars, but is still a fine quality shotgun and is probably worth four times what I paid for it...

Pygmy

I bet it looks like this...Definitely one of my favorite guns. Shot a lot of rabbits, grouse, a couple of fox & one coyote with this one and would not give it up for anything. Sad part is when I am gone it will probably be sold since I don't have anyone in the family to pass it down to. At least not now.

20gauge.jpg

• Like 4

That's a 100 for sure, Steve..The BBLS are longer than mine, and I expect the recoil  pad is aftermarket since I have never seen one like that on an SKB... Is it a 12  ?....

Fine firearm, in any case...Mine is as tight now as it was when I bought it close to 50 years ago, and it has had many 100s of round put through it, including a good number of 3" mags shot at  ducks, gooses, and foxes...

Model 100 .20 ga. 3" mag. improved & modified barrels, 25" barrel(s). I borrowed a friend's once and fell in love with it. Walked into a gun shop one day and this one sat on the rack. It got traded that morning and was in my house never to leave that afternoon. Gun shop owner said he had never turned one around that fast. It was just my lucky day.

Mine doesn't have the auto ejectors like my friends but as far as I am concerned it was a lucky find. From what I understand they make a couple of different configurations such as choke combinations, auto ejectors, etc.  The main thing I was looking for was a double barrel with a single trigger.

• Like 1

Mine would be my remington model 788 in .308. It was my dad's first rifle and he past it down to me for my first rifle. I've taken caribou and a bunch of deer with that gun. This year I got my biggest buck ever with it.

Even though I have no real attachments to 788 I have always loved the utilitarian looks of them. I bought one in 30-30 10 or 12 years ago because I had never saw one in 30-30 before. The same family I bought it from also had another in 44mag for very little money but I passed because I couldn't imagine why someone would want a rifle in 44mag let alone a bolt rifle. Now I own about 10 pistol cartridge rifles and one of them is a Ruger 77/44 bolt 44 mag and I would pay 4 times what they were asking then for that 788 in 44mag.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

Model 100 .20 ga. 3" mag. improved & modified barrels, 25" barrel(s). I borrowed a friend's once and fell in love with it. Walked into a gun shop one day and this one sat on the rack. It got traded that morning and was in my house never to leave that afternoon. Gun shop owner said he had never turned one around that fast. It was just my lucky day.

Mine doesn't have the auto ejectors like my friends but as far as I am concerned it was a lucky find. From what I understand they make a couple of different configurations such as choke combinations, auto ejectors, etc.  The main thing I was looking for was a double barrel with a single trigger.

It is the same as mine then...I just thought the bbls looked longer in the picture...Someone added the recoil pad,  as they came from the factory with the composite buttplate..

Mine is going rabbit hunting with me in the morning...I suspect that after I kick the bucket  someone else will get a lifetime of use from it..

When my dad died in 1995 I took possession of his deer rifle a Winchester semi auto in 308( not sure of exact model) which I ended up killing my first deer with. In 1997 I had this gun along with several other guns and household items stolen in a home burglary. I am sick to my stomach every time I think about it that such a beautiful gun which means so much to me is in the hands of some dirtbag somewhere.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Mine is a 1950's Ithaca Model 37 20ga, This is the second gun my dad passed down to me. The first being when I was 8 he gave me a Savage Model 24 .22/.410 for squirrels. Still use the Ithaca for upland birds every year. Never found anything that shoulders so nice and is so light.

IMG_0044.PNG

• Like 5

Even though I have no real attachments to 788 I have always loved the utilitarian looks of them. I bought one in 30-30 10 or 12 years ago because I had never saw one in 30-30 before. The same family I bought it from also had another in 44mag for very little money but I passed because I couldn't imagine why someone would want a rifle in 44mag let alone a bolt rifle. Now I own about 10 pistol cartridge rifles and one of them is a Ruger 77/44 bolt 44 mag and I would pay 4 times what they were asking then for that 788 in 44mag.

Wow I never knew the 788 came in those calibers. I don't have much to say about that gun because I've never actually handled one but I'm sure they're nice little rifles.

• Like 1

Wow I never knew the 788 came in those calibers. I don't have much to say about that gun because I've never actually handled one but I'm sure they're nice little rifles.

The 30-30 is nice and it looks good in the cabinet beside the savage 30-30 bolt that I have "can't think of the model." As far as practicality I don't know there are better choices, but they are cool to me.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The 30-30 is nice and it looks good in the cabinet beside the savage 30-30 bolt that I have "can't think of the model." As far as practicality I don't know there are better choices, but they are cool to me.

That would probably be the savage 340...

I hunted pronghorns on a ranch in Wyoming a few years back...The rancher's son showed us around the farm in his big Chevy 3500 pickup...In the cab, right next to his leg, was a 788  in .243, barrel cut down to about 17 or 18 inches, dusty and beat to hell..  He said it went everywhere on the ranch that he went and had accounted for dozens of coyotes, jackrabbits , prairie dogs and a good number of antelope and mule deer..

Every time I remember that rifle I think of you...<<grin>>....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SuperMag said:

I personally think that they are somewhat crude and ugly as a side order of s**t, but they work and they have a reputation for being scary accurate...

• Like 2

My father passed down to me his first and only shotgun a 12ga LeFever Nitro Special. He used it mainly for deer believe it or not until I convinced him to buy a rifle. It will be handed down to my son someday and hopefully further. I use it for rabbits and birds now. Second is my first rifle I bought myself, a Remington 788 in .243. It's not a fancy looker but shoots like no other and is my go to gun. 

• Like 2

That would probably be the savage 340...

I hunted pronghorns on a ranch in Wyoming a few years back...The rancher's son showed us around the farm in his big Chevy 3500 pickup...In the cab, right next to his leg, was a 788  in .243, barrel cut down to about 17 or 18 inches, dusty and beat to hell..  He said it went everywhere on the ranch that he went and had accounted for dozens of coyotes, jackrabbits , prairie dogs and a good number of antelope and mule deer..

Every time I remember that rifle I think of you...>....

Now that's a guy I could get along with!

Let me guess he drank Busch beer too?

• Like 2