Even In The Country, Laziness Makes Me Laugh

DirtTime

19 hours ago, ....rob said:

My neighbor cracks me up! He's late 20's early 30's if I remember right. Has a son about 12. Thursday, he paid one of the young ladies in the park to shovel for him, and tonight, he has people shoveling for him. WTF? I have a really bad back and I still get $#! done. I might have to do a few trips out to get it done, but I get it done. What sort of person that age with no disabilities and a perfectly healthy son pays someone to shover for them? LOL! Maybe he should outsource and only pay 1/3 the going price for snow removal by hand. LOL

Only in America! I bet he voted for Hillery, if he voted at all. 

Why do you care who shovels his driveway? What another person does or doesn't do is no business of yours. Sounds to me that your jealous that he can afford to pay someone while you can't 

Why do you care who shovels his driveway? What another person does or doesn't do is no business of yours. Sounds to me that your jealous that he can afford to pay someone while you can't

It sounds to me like your the jealous one. Jealous that he can have an observation and state an opinion that others find interesting enough to share their own with him and others....Where as you.......hhmmmmm

Wow... I just read all the responses...Man you guys think way different than me..

I took that as a statement of priorities in a family...I can't imagine when my kids were young them not doing something like shoveling or raking...chores...nothing wrong with chores...So he had an observation and the observation happen to be the neighbor...could have just as well been a relatives family or a co workers family...Dang mono perspectives on what one reads...honing in on just certain words or phrases. Now I also took it as possible injury scam ...because those are my experiences and they happen a lot...Hell the one guy was even a volunteer firemen...they just had him working traffic, so it didn't mess with those checks...

Belo mentioned injuries/health that can't be seen.  Rob mentioned the guy works though...apparently not often...It was just a subject opener..line him up against the wall and shoot him for having an observation...:rolleyes:

PS..... I just got done shoveling my 300ft drive...that snow was heavier than a dead OX! but I got my daily exercise in.

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

before this thread goes off the deep end with uptown trolling for comments again... 

maybe he's willing to shovel his own driveway but does it out of principal.  maybe he figures if he has the money why not give others an opportunity to earn some of it?  a couple high end weddings a week down near NYC and he'd make what you claim and then some.  everyone has a reason for everything they do.  sometimes you don't know unless they tell you.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, growalot said:

I can't imagine when my kids were young them not doing something like shoveling or raking...chores...nothing wrong with chores...

My kids always had chores growing up and they hated every minute of it. But now guess what...their kids have chores to:rolleyes:.

I would imagine it would be pretty hard to shovel with a cell phone in one hand.

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, growalot said:

It sounds to me like your the jealous one. Jealous that he can have an observation and state an opinion that others find interesting enough to share their own with him and others....Where as you.......hhmmmmm

You lost me on that one. 

Hmmmm

seems like he is pretty smart not shoveling, people die doing it and throw out backs

Edited by Paula

I Don't know what to say Paula...Perhaps go back and re-read the post, including  recheck's quote ,slower. 

IT is people out of shape that get into trouble. That said, seriously,learn how to properly shovel and you won't be throwing out your back...IMO

Then again...it's a mobile home park,how dang big can the driveways be anyways? Really!

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, growalot said:

I Don't know what to say Paula...Perhaps go back and re-read the post, including  recheck's quote ,slower. 

IT is people out of shape that get I to trouble. That said, seriously,learn how to properly shovel and you won't be throwing out your back...IMO

Then again...it's a mobile home park,how dang big can the driveways be anyways? Really!

I do re-read your post often. Lol

Edited by Paula
  • Like 2

Don't waste your money ...snow blower does a much better job ! I have both !

I know some atv plows aren't so great, but I was really looking into the Boss atv plows that are hydraulic. They have some weight to them and function like a plow on your truck would. They look pretty awesome, a bit pricey but it has gotten my attention.
  • Like 1

Wow... I just read all the responses...Man you guys think way different than me..
I took that as a statement of priorities in a family...I can't imagine when my kids were young them not doing something like shoveling or raking...chores...nothing wrong with chores...So he had an observation and the observation happen to be the neighbor...could have just as well been a relatives family or a co workers family...Dang mono perspectives on what one reads...honing in on just certain words or phrases. Now I also took it as possible injury scam ...because those are my experiences and they happen a lot...Hell the one guy was even a volunteer firemen...they just had him working traffic, so it didn't mess with those checks...
Belo mentioned injuries/health that can't be seen.  Rob mentioned the guy works though...apparently not often...It was just a subject opener..line him up against the wall and shoot him for having an observation...default_rolleyes.gif
PS..... I just got done shoveling my 300ft drive...that snow was heavier than a dead OX! but I got my daily exercise in.

Having a job doesn't mean you can do something like shoveling which is heart attack city. I know plenty of guys who park their butt in a chair at the office and only get up for lunch.

Shoveling a drive  isn't any different than tilling your garden, raking and piling the leafs, cutting and stacking wood,raking rocks, hauling brush. Other than the weather and proper dress. The cold has a definite role in  heart attacks. Heart attack city,again for those not knowing how or in shape. Both accomplished with a little actual work. Teaching a work ethic to the kids isn't a bad thing either. BTW both of mine  have thanked me for that,as I'm sure most kids with parents that had a clue have done. There's a lot to be said for " use it or lose it ". Rob talked to the guy ,not me,not you(General term). To that I say I'll go with there was a reason for his personal observations. Those observations certainly brought to light ....differing perspectives.

Ha-ha-ha .... I suppose today I would probably be arrested for child abuse, but I actually made my kids earn their allowance. I know that's a barbaric thing to do, But they actually had livestock to water and feed, manure to remove, rocks to pick, limbs and branches that needed to be stacked and burned every year. And yes, occasionally we all would have to get on the business end of a shovel and clear out our 1000' driveway.

Of course I was raised under the same philosophy..... If you are given a buck, you earn it. Allowance was a sum of money that you were rewarded with for doing your chores and other things around the house. That training and work ethic set me up for a prosperous  adult life. That's also probably why I didn't vote for Hillary ....lol.

But anyway, a parent letting their kid(s) flop on the couch while good money is paid out for shoveling snow is also teaching their kids lessons for adulthood. Every time I see these wandering shreds of human debris at these protests I know that that lesson of a "free lunch" turned into a lifestyle.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, growalot said:

Shoveling a drive  isn't any different than tilling your garden, raking and piling the leafs, cutting and stacking wood,raking rocks, hauling brush. Other than the weather and proper dress. The cold has a definite role in  heart attacks. Heart attack city,again for those not knowing how or in shape. Both accomplished with a little actual work. Teaching a work ethic to the kids isn't a bad thing either. BTW both of mine  have thanked me for that,as I'm sure most kids with parents that had a clue have done. There's a lot to be said for " use it or lose it ". Rob talked to the guy ,not me,not you(General term). To that I say I'll go with there was a reason for his personal observations. Those observations certainly brought to light ....differing perspectives.

Again, you don't have any idea and either does this guys neighbor about what his health situation is. And every other chore minus raking leaves are farm chores. 98% of America doesn't live on a farm and do any of those tasks, and if some of us do they're all mostly done on our terms when we feel like it. Shoveling is something that has to be done on the weather's terms. I had a smallish driveway when I lived in Alden. 26 and first time homeowner. No budget for a blower and there were some doozies my wife and I shoveled. They were good workouts and we were young, but there's no question they are strenuous for even a 26 year old who worked out.

This isn't a discussion about work ethic as the OP made it out to be, it's a discussion of health and preference. If the dude has the means to pay someone else to do it, then good for him. Stop being a hater. I would bet a good healthy portion of this site's members have a plow service. Are they lazy for not blowing their own driveway? What about us with blowers who don't shovel? Are we lazy. Stop equating a guy who doesn't do yard work as lazy, he could be working 60 hour weeks crushing it at some law firm making bank. I doubt that's the case, but less judging of people in this world would be the best approach to this situation.

• Like 1

This isn't a discussion about work ethic as the OP made it out to be, it's a discussion of health and preference.

Are you kidding me? Did you read what you wrote? Am I now to assume you are a psychic? As I said ...several times... only Rob talked to him. Rob set this up with his personal Observations and started a discussion. One that didn't require knowing specifics. It required a spark to ignite a conversation, which it did. Though I can say I think your the only one it sparked to tell us what the OP had in his mind as to the TRUE topic. Thanks for sharing that, it was a neat trick, I have to say :wink: lol

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Hmm, I think it all depends.

I clean my own snow. I use a blower for the most part because I go to the gym regularly and don't need to force a shovel in my hand for exercise. Shoveling doesn't benefit the pinched disc in my lower back either. I don't like to pay others for this because it's not a very frequent occurrence around my parts, maybe a handful of times every winter. Also because I'm pretty picky about how clean I want it to be.

That being said, I do pay for weekly landscaping in the spring through fall. $25/week is way less than what my "hourly wage" would come out to be. And I doubt I would be done in an hour. In my area we can't just dump clippings or leaves in a pile somewhere. They all have to bagged and curbed. No burning allowed. I also have pretty bad seasonal allergies so I'd be spending hours afterwards in misery as I try to blow my soul out my sinuses.

So I could shell out for a mower and other tools, try to find room to store it, spend over an hour every week on my off-time torturing myself, OR I could pay some guys less than what people spend on coffee/week around here to come in with a crew and get it all done in 20 minutes while I'm at work. 

Now once I'm retired, probably a different story. Hopefully by then it'll be more of a land management situation with food plots and what not.

Now I totally understand people wanting to instill the value of money hard work in their kids. Once my son is old enough, he'll definitely be doing chores and helping me out with stuff that gets done around the house. But for now, time is money.

• Like 1

See Uberyan, an opinion that is worth reading and on topic...

BTW.... seeing I was quoted then the following said, let me clear something up. Not once did I refer to anyone as being lazy. Even when I told of the disability scammers I never said they were lazy.  I am also not a hater...I am opinionated.:wink: Perhaps, not sure, someone was taking things a tad too personal ,this I can't be sure of,not being a psychic myself.

Stop equating a guy who doesn't do yard work as lazy, he could be working 60 hour weeks crushing it at some law firm making bank.

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Anyone remember when you used to see kids walking around shoveling driveways for money after a snowstorm?

I had one come by my house just while I was getting dressed to start cleaning a while back.

It was shocking as it's usually adult crews that drive by soliciting the plow work. I almost let the kid do it because I was impressed that he actually took it upon himself to walk around the neighborhood with a shovel in hand. Couldn't have weighed more than 100lbs soaking wet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Are you kidding me? Did you read what you wrote? Am I now to assume you are a psychic? As I said ...several times... only Rob talked to him. Rob set this up with his personal Observations and started a discussion. One that didn't require knowing specifics. It required a spark to ignite a conversation, which it did. Though I can say I think your the only one it sparked to tell us what the OP had in his mind as to the TRUE topic. Thanks for sharing that, it was a neat trick, I have to say :wink: lol

I can't even follow your thought process. I know I'm not alone.

• Like 2