Intro

John Barton

Brand new to hunting and look forward to all the info from these forums. I've been knee deep in info and learning all I can. I'm 33 and looking to hopefully get a deer. May try for rabbit. Live in farmingville and if anyone knows any good spots and tips for beginners I'm all ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

John, so happy to hear you decided to take up hunting, and to have you join us! There are so many here, that will go out of their way, to help you get going on your hunting adventures! Have you taken the Hunters Safety Course yet? Will you be hunting with a bow, firearm or both? Just pull up a seat and join in with any questions you have. We are all here for you! A word of caution though. Once the hunting fever takes hold, it could be a life long affliction! But a fever you may never want to cure...... Best of luck to you in all your future hunting endeavors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Inglese said:

Did the hunters safety and the bow one is in April. Most likely looking at a 12 gauge 870 Remington express shotgun and a compound. Already ordered the gun safe for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to HNY, John. I don't mean to derail the thread here, but I happen to have a 12 Ga Remington Express with a slug barrel that I would part with. Scoped of course.

It's kinda heavy, it kicks like a mule, and I'm just getting too old for it. But it shoots like crazy and I'll give you a heck of a deal on it. PM me if interested.

• Like 1

Welcome to forum.

You have a couple days left for rabbit and Pheasant season (ends on Feb. 28th) if you already picked up your license .

I suggest either finding a good YouTube video of skinning techniques or even better, a mentor.

Next season that opens up is Spring turkey - bearded gobblers (toms) only and from sun-up until noon in May.

It is never too early to take walks/hikes in areas you want to hunt to get the feel of the area for deer and turkey.

Some hunters one have only one game animal they hunt, others hunt multiple species - do as much or little as you like (and like to eat). 

My family's rules are:

• if you won't eat it, don't hunt it
  • always hunt safely - you can't take back the shot once you pull the trigger, if it looks questionable don't go on/down/up it, or jump over it.
  • someone has to know where you are going and when expected back
  • carry your cell phone with a freshly charged battery

If want to deer hunt from a stand, find someone who has a couple different types to try out before purchasing one of your own.  You have to use what you are comfortable with (ladder, hang-on, or climber).  You want to be confident with what you use and be comfortable in it.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard!  Great to have you!  I am one of the host when we do our Hunters Rendezvous August 20th, come on down it is a great learning experience from skilled hunters with a wealth of information. 

http://suffolkarchers.com/august  We host a few shooting events during the year which are great for getting ready for bow season!  Come on down it's great fun!  Again Welcome aboard!!!

I am not mentoring anyone this year so far.  If you are interested send me a PM and I can get you started with some good areas to hunt and show you some options on hunting clothes, weapons and gear.