A note from Mr. Nugent

QB1

One of my hunting buddies shared this with me...although at times he seems a bit over the top I respect his opinion and view him as a Leader in the outdoor world....

THE CELEBRATION OF DEATH

by Ted Nugent

I  know, I know, upon reading my inescapably obvious title, the socially  challenged amongst us are spitting coffee or other some such beverage  and assorted abused brown lippy substances all over their Texas Fish  & Game magazine. In a world gone berserk with the scourge of  politically correct denial, I expect nothing less.

The good news is  that within this fine coterie of rugged outdoorsmen and women in whose  hands this fine publication rests, the vast majority of hunters,  fishers, trappers and just good ol all American grillmasters know  exactly what I am  talking about, and in fact grin with the certainty that though totally  unnecessary to state in the world of honest consumers, in America 2010  it is time to state the truth as often as possible, confortable or  otherwise.

And though I’ve heard it stated over and over again and  again ad nauseum ad infinitum, I dismiss out of hand the lame claim that  the kill is anticlimactic to the hunt itself. Yeah, right. I see it all  the time where sporters get way more excited and jubilant when they  don’t bring home fish and game than when they do. No one cherishes and  celebrates the entire hunt and hunting lifestyle more than I do, but  give me a break. When the beast is dead at our feet due to the  incredible dedication, diligence, patience, sacrifice and good old  fashioned good luck, the fun factor explodes exponentially when we kill,  and we all know it.

The claim otherwise comes from some elitist, out  of touch outdoor industry so called leaders, and certain  cowardly outdoor writers that are afraid of their own shadows and  recoil in abject trembling fear at the assumption that all people  outside our sport hate us, hate dead deer and pretend that their store  bought dinner is not dead. Not even close.

Of course, known by those  of us who actually pay attention to life and hang out with attentive,  intelligent and sophisticated folk, we are well away that our very lives  carryon due to that very celebration of death. Numerous times each day  throughout humankind history, it is the flesh of dead creatures that  provide man life itself.

For those of us that hunt, fish and trap,  the term “closer to the earth” wasn’t at all necessary to remind us  where our protein and nutrition comes from. As we like to say, you can’t  grill it till you kill it. Perfection personified.

As we approach  our fallen prize, as we turn the straps on the grill, as we take a good  hearty snort of prepared meals’ aromas at the  table, and as we join hands in reverent thanks to the Creator for the  miracle of sustain yield, all the way through the “mmm.. mmm goods”,  “yums”, various questionable guttural noises, burps and other assorted  such audible sounds of appreciation and joy, clearly genuine celebration  ensues for dead stuff everywhere.

I’ve also heard of the feelings of  remorse some consumers claim at the death of an animal. I’m not buying  it. If ever there was a perfect act and a perfect moment, it is when we  balance the herd and bring food home to our loved ones. Remorse? I think  not.

So to quote the great Fred Bear, we all surely know that  everyday afield does indeed “cleanse the soul”, but of much more  importance, done with a sense of excellence and dedication to be the  best that we can be, the results will fill our bellies too!

I share a  lot of very special meals with my fellow man in my travels around the  world, and I have yet to witness  anything other than celebration at the table or campfire. Let it be  known, the creatures feed, clothe, shelter and medicate us. Always have,  always will. That is the prime cause of celebration in life, of life,  via death. The beast is dead, long live the beast.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When the beast is dead at our feet due to the  incredible dedication, diligence, patience, sacrifice and good old  fashioned good luck, the fun factor explodes exponentially when we kill,  and we all know it.

I will agree with him that there is a sense of satisfaction when one does get an animal down which one doesn't get without putting an animal down.  I just would laugh at his statement above.  I can see what he means about good old fashioned luck, but exactly what's with the incredible dedication and sacrifice??  Plenty of hunters out there that are far from being the sharpest knives in the drawer and yet they manage to kill deer.  It really isn't rocket science so I don't know how much dedication it really takes.  No one is telling anyone that they must hunt in todays world, so any sacrifices he talks about are obviously personal choice. 

I think there is much more dedication when it comes to Bow-hunting, everyone can get lucky but I think the most successful hunters are the ones who put in the time (practice, scouting, tending to their land etc.)  Anyone can point and shoot a gun, it always drives me crazy when you here...BANG BANG BANG BANG, hell my grandma would have a good chance of hitting a Deer with that many shots.  For the most part I think every deer I've gotten thus far has been from luck, but if/when I lock in on a certain buck study his routine and hunt that buck all season or multiple season when I finally lay the "Beast" to rest there will be much more of a satisfaction then going out with the boys and doing a drive and and shooting whatever shows up.  I apprecaite all deer I can harvest but the ones I actually feel I had to work for in order to best my chances are the ones that I will cherish.

Gotta say I feel much the same as Ted... although for me the enjoyment comes from the hunt not the kill... In the past I killed deer without the nearly the enjoyment I get today from being far more selective in both the quality of the animal I hunt and the way that I hunt him.

When the beast is dead at our feet due to the  incredible dedication, diligence, patience, sacrifice and good old  fashioned good luck, the fun factor explodes exponentially when we kill,  and we all know it.

I will agree with him that there is a sense of satisfaction when one does get an animal down which one doesn't get without putting an animal down.  I just would laugh at his statement above.  I can see what he means about good old fashioned luck, but exactly what's with the incredible dedication and sacrifice??  Plenty of hunters out there that are far from being the sharpest knives in the drawer and yet they manage to kill deer.  It really isn't rocket science so I don't know how much dedication it really takes.  No one is telling anyone that they must hunt in todays world, so any sacrifices he talks about are obviously personal choice.

I think there is a dedication and sacrifice for all hunters...even the "crawl out a couple times a season" guys. Let's face it. we all sacrifice to go a field. We sacrifice our money that could go to other things....our time....we sacrifice the warmth of the warm home on a cold frosty morning. For some of the guys these sacrifices and levels of dedication may be far less than others but I can see his point. The scale is widely varied between all of us. There are some of you that are far more determined than I am and some that are less....but at some level I think it applies to all types of hunters.

Uncle Ted can be a little over the top for my liking on most days but I can always agree with one thing.....The game sure does taste good!! :O

Well, I know guys that go out for the first time and shoot a big buck and never come back. Then there are the guys who never see a deer but love going to that spot year after year just to enjoy the outdoors. "Let it be  known, the creatures feed, clothe, shelter and medicate us." I don't hunt for any of these reasons. This may of been true when Ted was a young lad back in the 1800's but not now.

Well, I know guys that go out for the first time and shoot a big buck and never come back. Then there are the guys who never see a deer but love going to that spot year after year just to enjoy the outdoors. "Let it be  known, the creatures feed, clothe, shelter and medicate us." I don't hunt for any of these reasons. This may of been true when Ted was a young lad back in the 1800's but not now.

so when you get a deer what do you do with it?

I think there is a dedication and sacrifice for all hunters...even the "crawl out a couple times a season" guys. Let's face it. we all sacrifice to go a field. We sacrifice our money that could go to other things....our time....we sacrifice the warmth of the warm home on a cold frosty morning. For some of the guys these sacrifices and levels of dedication may be far less than others but I can see his point. The scale is widely varied between all of us. There are some of you that are far more determined than I am and some that are less....but at some level I think it applies to all types of hunters.

Uncle Ted can be a little over the top for my liking on most days but I can always agree with one thing.....The game sure does taste good!! :) 

I will agree that there probably is some sacrifice on our part to participate in this sport, be it time, money or family, but my only point would be that we shouldn't think that we will get any sympathy from any non-hunters out there for any of these personal sacrifices.  We basically hunt because we want to.  It surely isn't a necessity for 99% of the hunters out there.  If we didn't hunt we honestly could live on just the same.  Buying any sort of meat in a store will probably end up costing less for just about any hunter out there.

Who is this Ted Nugent guy anyway? Never heard of him...

It would actually do the hunting world good if NO one ever heard of him!  LOL

He's one of the biggest promoters in the country of the hunting sports and outdoor lifestyle.  If you don't like him that's one thing, but to imply he's bad for the sport is another.

What exactly has he done to hurt the hunting world in comparison to what he's done to promote it in as positive of a light as he can?

What exactly has he done to hurt the hunting world in comparison to what he's done to promote it in as positive of a light as he can?

I guess if you like a representative that has a drugged up, glassy eyed look, with hair longer than Jesus, and one that has no qualms about using obscenities to get his point across, and likes to appear on stage of his concerts with an AR-15 in hand, then Nugent is obviously the MAN for you.  Others think he is exactly what we DON'T need to be stereotyped as.

Uncle Ted can be a little over the top for my liking on most days but I can always agree with one thing.....The game sure does taste good!! :) 

I will agree that there probably is some sacrifice on our part to participate in this sport, be it time, money or family, but my only point would be that we shouldn't think that we will get any sympathy from any non-hunters out there for any of these personal sacrifices.  We basically hunt because we want to.  It surely isn't a necessity for 99% of the hunters out there.  If we didn't hunt we honestly could live on just the same.  Buying any sort of meat in a store will probably end up costing less for just about any hunter out there.

LOL...Hence the reason I get no sympathy fromteh wife when I come home soaked with my teeth chattering ;)

LOL...Hence the reason I get no sympathy fromteh wife when I come home soaked with my teeth chattering ;)

Yep, that's exactly what I mean.  I have hunted a long time now and have never had any non-hunter feel sorry for me or any other hunter in any way.  If we hunt, we just have to suck it up, I guess.  :)

so when you get a deer what do you do with it?

Of course I eat it, love it in fact. The point I was making is I don't need to hunt to feed myself. Maybe I should of been clearer.

I introduce Ted Nugent....

Although at times Nugent is over the top and to someone who doesn't hunt he could be a real turn off I do appreciate his genuine enthusiasm and love for the outdoors.  He has one of the most pure respects for his kills and is also noted for his conservative political views and his ardent defense of hunting, conservation, and gun ownership rights.  He does not do drugs which is easy to assume just by his looks and that he is a rock star but actually is a big support of several anti-drug/anti alcohol campaigns.  I would love to see him in a debate with some of the D-bags who are against hunting and the outdoors because they believe its cruel and inhuman.  Now that would be entertaining.