Short Rant about USPS

moog5050

I stop at a branch this morning to cash a $100 USPS money order and I am informed they can't do it since they don't have $100.  Maybe if I stop back later they will have it.   This isn't exactly a small rural branch either. Does it seem as absurd to anyone else as it does to me that the United State Post Office can't honor a money order they issued for a $100 at any time of the day.  Ok rant, over.

I stopped to get a money order a while back. The clerk at the counter told me they couldn't issue one because they didn't have the key to unlock them! I was told to try back later, then the person with the key might be back.

Edited by E J

It is a Postal Money order and you would think any post office would be able to cash it for you at any time. I know in the past, I've cashed them at the bank, where I do business with no problem. The whole idea of using a Postal Money order is to make it convenient for the casher to be able to cash it in multiple places? Even big box and grocery stores should be able to cash them as they are supposed to be as good as cash. But maybe I'm mistaken? Is there an easier way to send money now days? As I'm still living in the past it seems..........lol

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I stop at a branch this morning to cash a $100 USPS money order and I am informed they can't do it since they don't have $100.  Maybe if I stop back later they will have it.   This isn't exactly a small rural branch either. Does it seem as absurd to anyone else as it does to me that the United State Post Office can't honor a money order they issued for a $100 at any time of the day.  Ok rant, over.

Yeah that is pretty ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Why would a post office issue a money order?

One from the millennials/electronic age. A postal money order is the ideal way to pay someone quickly via mail. You walk in ...pay the amount you want to send at the cost of about $1.75... put it in the mail and send it. It is a form of guaranteed money to the seller/merchant. A paper form of PayPal.

• Like 4

One from the millennials/electronic age. A postal money order is the ideal way to pay someone quickly via mail. You walk in ...pay the amount you want to send at the cost of about $1.75... put it in the mail and send it. It is a form of guaranteed money to the seller/merchant. A paper form of PayPal.

Sounds slow as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

29 minutes ago, Steve D said:

Guaranteed to the extent that the branch has $100 in the drawer.  lol

• Like 2

In all seriousness, it is a good way to pay for goods without giving personal info like a check.  But you have little recourse, unlike paypal, if you don't get the goods.  This buyer can rest assured his goods are ready for him.  I just won't try to cash another at a branch.  Deposit it at the bank.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I thought I read that if you pay with a postal money order and you get stiffed for your goods it's a more serious crime. Could be wrong, sitting in a waiting room and can't Google at the moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess it could be mail fraud, but good luck trying to the UA attorney's attention on small purchases.  If it was a constant scheme, maybe.

57 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

In all seriousness, it is a good way to pay for goods without giving personal info like a check.  But you have little recourse, unlike paypal, if you don't get the goods.  This buyer can rest assured his goods are ready for him.  I just won't try to cash another at a branch.  Deposit it at the bank.

I just left ESL on ridge , I had to pretend it was taking a long time to fill out the slip, so I could time it right and get the hot teller in the tight sweater . Sometimes it's the small victories that make the day !

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

I just left ESL on ridge , I had to pretend it was taking a long time to fill out the slip, so I could time it right and get the hot teller in the tight sweater . Sometimes it's the small victories that make the day !

Have you been hanging around that Pygmy fella again?......lol

22 minutes ago, Larry302 said:

You are "incorrigible" Larry.  I used that word for pygmy Larry.  Learning moment.  He will look it up I am sure.  He is trying to expand his vocabulary via the Big Chooch.

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

On the bright side, they are still delivering mail.  My wife just told me that the postal service in Guatemala has ceased completely.  You literally have no choice but to use courier services to send a letter, etc. 

It takes the Pony Express Rider several days and many changes of horses to deliver the mail from Guatemala to Webster . It will be worse when the wall is built !  :taunt:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elmo said:

moog, with PayPal, Venmo, Chase Direct, wire transfers, etc.  Who ever paid you back in USPS money order must not like you very much.

I like my buddy moog just fine! And I've made M.O. payments to a few different members here for purchases, never had a problem. I think the problem lies with the back woods town of Webster P.O.  .......smile........

I personally i'm amazed that our forefathers had the vision to provide for a postal service that is the model the world round and the most efficient in the world, not for lack of Republicans efforts to cripple it.

Question: How much of the federal budget goes to the Post Office?

http://republicansexposed.org/republicans-plan-to-eliminate-the-postal-service/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/karl-frisch/postal-service-cuts_b_961602.html

http://www.cnbc.com/id/45018432

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2015/10/the-right-wings-assault-on-the-post-office-smashing-the-myth-that-its-in-financial-trouble.html

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/14/congresss_war_on_the_post_office/http://articles.latimes.com/2013/feb/07/nation/la-na-tt-postal-service-20130206

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/4/22/1084948/-Republicans-manufacture-a-crisis-for-the-Postal-Service-and-too-many-Democrats-go-along

To you gov't can never ever get anything right types, the post office is 0% of the budget and is one of the cheapest postal services in the world, and cheaper that private postal and parcel services.

And they know a Santa when they see one!

19 minutes ago, grampy said:

I like my buddy moog just fine! And I've made M.O. payments to a few different members here for purchases, never had a problem. I think the problem lies with the back woods town of Webster P.O.  .......smile........

Actually, I went to the Penfield Post Office, for whatever that's worth.  By the way grampy "Webster is where life is worth living".  Its the town motto. 

• Like 1