What do you do with beards?

Buckmaster7600

i don't have a pic it's up at my house,but i made a plaque with the foot flipping the finger.[fall bird had to send one in] then i hung the long birds off the bottom and the jakes on the board i need one more jake to finish it.Last year i added a tail but i'm not crazy about it.i've seen guys use the shell they killed the bird with looked pretty cool.also saw one with a European skull mount that i'm going to try.

forgot to mention i used plumbers putty on base of the beards and did a red white and blue thyme  

i've seen the maytom plaques on here they really are nice.

btw nice collection. 

Edited by rachunter
forgot to mention
  • Like 1

Sadly I don't keep any. Not even the triple beard from a few years ago. In hindsight I sorta regret not keeping them. I kept the one from bird I shot when daughter was with. BUT, all hers will be getting saved. I give the wing feathers to buddy to fletch arrows for his primitive bow , cut off feet above spurs and now have a bucket of feet in the garage. Someday I'll put them on a lanyard. I save the empty hulls , stuff a few purty feathers in them and hulls go on the window sill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is one of maytom's  beard display board. its on display at my camp and has been a object of conversation since I assembled it and put it up.  as others have said Paul's (maytom) work is top notch and is certainly top quality craftsmanship.

1476914654878_zpsqvz34vod.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Sadly I don't keep any. Not even the triple beard from a few years ago. In hindsight I sorta regret not keeping them. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i did the same thing.Some how i managed to save my first bird a jake. Then i was shooting the poop with a guy at the motel who scored.He showed me how to take it apart.he even made a call out of the bones. 

I saved them all as far as I know and have all but two. One is on a mounted bird that is on permanent loan to the Gun Center and the other my dog ate. 

The rest I store in a box my grandfather built for my dad years ago. The box was intended to store his first scope ever bought. He would take the scope off after deer season so the A5 could see double or triple duty.  

Turkeyfeathers stopped over the other night and I had the box out. Here is a shot of the beards, lined up.  

IMG_1800.JPG

• Like 6

My collection goes back to 1975...I saved them all, but a few are missing due to the dog, rats, etc.

Unfortunately, rather than storing them in a cool old wooden box, they are in a gallon Ziploc bag in the freezer of my beer/bait fridge out in the garage...

• Like 1

I have saved the beard off of every red head ive ever taken. To this day I can only claim maybe half of them, i think some are in zip lock bags between 3 or 4 freezers buried. and between contests, i may have forgot and left a few at shops. I save all the big and or prettiest of tail fans as well, and one or 2 for decoying.. 

Eventually ill make something nice to decorate them with, nothing has really caught my eye yet to be used as a wall piece. 

shadow box, freezers, lost.  same with spurs and fans.  i've actually saved the beard and fan off my first ever turkey (a longbeard).  still in the freezer and i always thought it'd be cool to use it on a decoy as a good luck charm to take more turkeys.  just have never gotten around to it and afraid of what condition they'd be in after all this time.

Edited by dbHunterNY