What type hunting Knife

Dave

Guy's what type of hunting knife do you use? Fixed blade or folding knife? I use a fixed blade in a leather sheath, always have for over 35 yrs it's part of my hunting tradition. Last year my house was broken into and they stole all our hunting knives. I had a Case knife with a 3 1/2 " blade that had alot of sentimental value and now it's gone also lost a few Buck knives. I have replaced them but it's not the same.

Dave

I have a fixed blade Buck knife.  My dad has a folding Case.  When he's gutting deer he gets blood and such inside the lower half of the knife and it's wicked hard to clean.

My buddy has a Buck folder - he uses Dawn Dish Detergent and lukewarm water to clean his after gutting a deer... works wonders!

I carry a folding knife that has one of those combo blades that is serrated and smooth. That is my utility knife.

My father gave me a buck woodsman for my 14th birthday and that has been my hunting knife ever since. It have cleaned and skinned everything form squirrels to birds and whitetails and caribou. 4" thin blade and I love it. the fixed blade is always a plus for me on the clean up and since it is not a leather or bone handle I can put it right in the dishwasher.

I have a whole drawer full of knifes that I have accumulated over the years, but lately I generally carry one of two..

I have a Puma 3" folder that I bought as a gift for my Dad back in the 70,s and then re-inhertited when he died in '94...It takes an edge much faster than my Bucks and holds it nearly as long...When I'm in a mood to carry a sheath kife, I carry a 4" fixed blade Buck Pro-Line zipper...It has extra hard steel and is a real bear to put an edge on, but it came with a lifetime sharpening warranty.. Every summer I send it to Buck and they sharpen it for nothing..The steel is so hard that it stays wicked sharp all season...All it costs me is the price of shipping to them..They even pay the return postage.. The zipper works well, also, for opening body cavities and skinning...My only complaint is it's not a very good bunghole knife..I often carry a small filet knife in my pack for that purpose....

My most treasured knife is a 4" Buck 110 folder that I got for Christmas in 1971...

I carried it for years and had to go back several times and paw through the leaves and snow to recover it after I had dressed a deer and left it laying... In September of 1989, I butchered two big Alaska bull moose in one day, using just that 4" buck folder and a 12" Wyoming saw...

I have quit carrying it for fear of losing it...It has too much sentimental value and I have plenty of other knives to choose from..

When I first started hunting I got a Buck 112 folding Ranger knife for Christmas, it was the smaller version of the famed Folding Hunter. I carried it for several yrs. until my younger brother bought me a Kershaw Antelope Hunter fixed blade knife. I have never carried anything but the that Kershaw since. IMO, it is the perfect combination of the all around hunters knife................great blade length & shape, rubberized non slip handle (even when covered in blood), high quality and maintains a great edge.

I carry the Buck 112 in my hiking pack now a days.

FDXX75

I have a fixed blade Buck knife.  My dad has a folding Case.  When he's gutting deer he gets blood and such inside the lower half of the knife and it's wicked hard to clean.

My buddy has a Buck folder - he uses Dawn Dish Detergent and lukewarm water to clean his after gutting a deer... works wonders!

That's exactly how I clean my Puma folding knife. For 25 years I had a folding schrade uncle henry. Which I still have but replaced and now currently use the Puma which in size is a replica of the Puma game warden. I love it ! Never had a problem cleaning either knife.

I have a fixed blade case that my dad got me when I was in 11th grade.  I do not carry it any longer. I bought a kabar leather handle fixed blade last year.  More if a tradition as my Dad carried a leather handle knife for years. 

I have a fixed blade case that my dad got me when I was in 11th grade.  I do not carry it any longer. I bought a kabar leather handle fixed blade last year.  More if a tradition as my Dad carried a leather handle knife for years.

Bubba, bought one last year great knife for the money. also used it worked fine and has a nice edge. It also replaced my case knife they even look alike.

Dave

My every day carry knife is a Chris Reeve Sebenza.  It will usually dress out a couple deer each year only because it's always with me, day in and day out.

I've had it for about 5 years and haven't lost it YET!

IMG_1043.jpg

For more special occasions, I'll  take a Gene Ingram, Dozier, Denning,  Menefee or a Wayne Clay.  (Did I mention I have a thing for knives?)

Folders are my go-to blade but I have a renewed interest in fixed blades.

I use my old timer fixed blade...Love the shcrade blades. Also have a camillus fold.

Same here...dad bought me a Kmart fixed blade Schrade with the wood handles many moons ago. I cherrish it and it is more than enough to get the job done.

LOL...when I first started hunting,I bought a BIG Rambo style small machete kinda thing with a blade that drug the dirt for my hunting blade....when dad saw it,he said why you need a gun?  ;D  Kids will be kids.