RIP Gregg Allman

philoshop

I like many types of music and bands, speed and death metal , old school country , to The Supremes  but the Allman Brothers hold a special place !

So even though most Sunday's  at my house are " Johhny Cash " Sunday's , starting with "Sunday Morning Coming Down".... Today it's nothing but ABB !

I may even throw in Boz Scaggs/ Duana Allman's 

Loan Me a Dime .

Now the memories are flowing , in 1,979 I drove my '69 Custom S Tempest to Fla. for spring break listening to little more then the double live LP,

" Wipe the Windows , Check the Oil, Dollar Gas "

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 6

Legendary performer, and the Allman Brothers were a huge musical influence in my early years of guitar playing. Melissa has always been on my set list, as a solo performer. I've seen them play so many times. The one that stands out most, is in the mid eighties at JB Scott's in Albany. The Betts Band and Gregg's band played the same bill. After each played a set they combined and played for close to three hours! Gregg, Dickey Betts, Dan Toliver and Warren Haynes blew me away from just a few feet away. The absolute spectacle of musical talent being thrown back and forth on that stage, still brings jaw dropping amazement, from so many years ago. Rest In Peace Gregg. Thank you for so many memories made, while your music played.

• Like 3

The ABB changed my life in 1972 when I heard the Live at the Filmore East record. Perhaps the greatest live recording in rock history. Considered the pioneers of what became known as Southern Rock the ABB really were a blues band but played the blues in their own way. Give the Filmore a listen in it's entirety and enjoy what real music was.  The best rendition of Stormy Monday ever. RIP Gregg Allman.

Edited by nybuckboy
  • Like 1