On turtles and other road kill

Curmudgeon

6 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

Steve... I respect a lot of guys on this forum... Wooly as well as you... But seriously.. your post looked more like you were trying to butter him to date him.. Culvercreek, this is the lines I took as "attitude"... " If your just handling them incorrectly to impress somebody with how "brave" you are by holding them by the tail.... you still look like a wuss to those who know better and should probably just avoid handling them in the first place. "  Personally... I was told as a child that is how you pick them up... I was not trying to be "brave" and by no means am I a "Wuss"... If he had just said "Hey Grizz, FYI, it's not good for them to be picked up by the tail, hold them this way, see pic, and they will be better off"... See the difference in "respect shown" in those two??? Now, will I pick one up by the tail again??? Hell no.. I had no clue it was bad for them... Do I really think Steve wants to date Wooly, no... but his post made him look like a google eyed fan of Wooly so I tossed a shot at him... My bad... I'm sure we can both go forward from this point on... I just have an issue with someone "assuming" things about me when they have no clue. I am a huge conservationist, passed NWTF state chapter president, done more to save hunting in my state than 90% of the hunters here. probably 98%... The one thing I stress is respect for the animal and other hunters... I'll leave it at that... back to turtles.. 

So complementing the guy for his fantastic photo skills, let alone his hunting skills, which proves to me that he "walks the walk" when it comes to nature, wildlife AND hunting above many others around here in your eyes is wanting to "date him"?  Obviously you are jealous that he has some fans around here while you don't.  Believe me, I am holding myself back here from really ripping into you, but I will leave it at this.

Guess I'm a google eyed fan of wooly's too. The guy has forgotten more woodsmanship than I'll know.

Although I think nothing personal was directed to ya Grizz.  I do understand defending yourself if you feel like you've been dis'd.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, steve863 said:

So complementing the guy for his fantastic photo skills, let alone his hunting skills, which proves to me that he "walks the walk" when it comes to nature, wildlife AND hunting above many others around here in your eyes is wanting to "date him"?  Obviously you are jealous that he has some fans around here while you don't.  Believe me, I am holding myself back here from really ripping into you, but I will leave it at this.

I don't require fans Steve.. if you are a fan of Wooly's.. more power to him... I am sure he is a great guy... Just wasn't pleased with the wording I obviously took the wrong way and not the way he meant it.. I would never rate a hunter based on social media though... But if you want to... You go right ahead... I am sure you are as talented a hunter as the rest of us are.. But if you are still "holding back", you feel free to let go, I can handle myself not only on a key board but in person as well.. BUT.. As stated above, if I am over reacting to what was said, I apologize... And that would go to you as well. 

Wooly,

Thanks for pointing out that holding themy by the tail can cause permanent injury. You got to it before I could.

A perfectly safe - for turtle and human - alternative is to grab the shell on each side of the tail. That's how I was taught. It works well if they aren't too heavy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grampy said:

In my lifetime in the woods and on the water, I've never picked up a snapper. I leave em alone, they leave me alone. Works out better for us both that way.

I'm with you grampy, I have no interest in handling them UNLESS they are on the end of a spoon.  A friend of a friend made some of the most incredible chowder out of snapping turtles I've ever eaten.  Tons of work I was told but simply outstanding.

Cool and prehistoric looking beasts that they are!!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Hardwood Lake?

Snappers?

AND FILTHY?

Wow, what a derailment................ :)

I honestly spit water out of my mouth and had to go back and read the original post!!!! Talk about a derailment!!! :rofl:

Yes, great advice from Wooly for sure... Never knew my father told me how to do it wrong so long ago.. But will live and learn... Just hope I never hurt one I picked up like that... 

Back on topic...I have sped-up the journey of 3 painted turtles on their way across the rd so far this year. Here is a question for those who know more than me: I was always told that if you do move a turtle to make sure you keep him moving in the direction he was traveling and to not move it to a water source you know of about a mile away (just a hypothetical scenario ).  Is this true? Makes sense as I guess he/she was moving in that direction for a reason! 

According to The Amphibians and Reptiles of NYS (Gibbs et al - and a great reference book) snapping and painted turtle hatchlings may overwinter in the nest. That may be why you are seeing such small turtles out now.

I just want to say that I find this discussion encouraging. Sometimes it seems, if a species isn't beautiful, or one we pursue for sport, people don't value it. There is negativity. Snapping turtles are not pretty. They are predators. I have known people who would automatically kill any they encountered. One guy who told me he would crush baby snappers under foot to save the ducks and game fish. He would be right at home in some of the coyote discussions around here.   

Edited by Curmudgeon
Typo
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, jman22 said:

Back on topic...I have sped-up the journey of 3 painted turtles on their way across the rd so far this year. Here is a question for those who know more than me: I was always told that if you do move a turtle to make sure you keep him moving in the direction he was traveling and to not move it to a water source you know of about a mile away (just a hypothetical scenario ).  Is this true? Makes sense as I guess he/she was moving in that direction for a reason! 

I scooped up a painted turtle in Potsdam that couldnt get up over the curb. We released it in Clarence some 200 miles away. The whole ride my cousin kept saying "Oh man I hope this turtles father isnt Liam Neeson."

• Like 3

We found one down by the 5 arches in Avon with a big hunting knife sticking out of it's back...the guys brought it home and asked if I could save it...Noooo They were pretty upset as was. What a nasty thing to do and I didn't look like a cheap knife either...I'm not into turtle soup,  We dispatched it and I don't know what the guys did with it... hhhmmm that brought back bad memories....poor thing. some people are just human waste.

We found one down by the 5 arches in Avon with a big hunting knife sticking out of it's back...the guys brought it home and asked if I could save it...Noooo They were pretty upset as was. What a nasty thing to do and I didn't look like a cheap knife either...I'm not into turtle soup,  We dispatched it and I don't know what the guys did with it... hhhmmm that brought back bad memories....poor thing. some people are just human waste.

Some real a holes out there !! But how's the knife ?
Is it true turtles carry a boat load of diseases like rumor has it ?
I tried turtle soup 30 years ago and gotta say it was pretty tasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know Mr B still has it I believe, he had a heck of a time getting it out even with the turtle dead...I'm thinking some teen with more pimples than brains being a big shot for his buddies...with any luck, it bit them and thats why the knife was still in it...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I scooped up a painted turtle in Potsdam that couldnt get up over the curb. We released it in Clarence some 200 miles away. The whole ride my cousin kept saying "Oh man I hope this turtles father isnt Liam Neeson."

Now that's funny!