Rifle in Wyoming co.

hunter49

Bill still need to clear the senate and get signed by the Governor

I'll post this again.  Maybe you missed it on the other thread or maybe I'm confused??

It has been passed by the senate, now it needs to be signed by the Gov.............................

Gallivan passes bill permitting rifle hunting in Wyoming County

Senator Patrick M. Gallivan passed his first piece of  authored  legislation (S. 2385), a bill that will permit sportsmen to  use rifles  when hunting deer or bear in Wyoming County. The bill passed  the  Senate with near unanimous support.

"Hunting large game by  rifle is legally practiced across large portions of New York but has  not been available to sportsmen in Wyoming County," Gallivan said.  "This bill will rectify that, and at the same time bring economic  activity to Wyoming County and further the county's reputation as a  paradise for outdoor enthusiasts."

The taking of deer and bear  with a rifle is permitted in over 30 counties across New York State,  including in Cattaraugus County directly to the south of Wyoming County.

The  Senator explained that he was proud that his first piece of passed  legislation furthers the cause of sportsmen and enhances their rights,  "sportsmen are an important constituency in Wyoming County and across  New York. This bill, when signed into law, will allow Wyoming County  residents to rifle hunt closer to home, while attracting hunters from  surrounding areas into Wyoming County."

The chamber paused upon  official adoption of S. 2385 to congratulate the freshman legislator  for passing his first piece of legislation in the Senate.

Senator Gallivan's bill has a companion piece introduced in the Assembly by Assemblyman Dan Burling.     

I believe part of letchworth is in wyoming cty.I dont see them letting rifles on the park with all the hikers and such!!!

why the hell do we need rifles anywhere in Wyoming (ro any upstate) county?

I live in Wyoming county and bowhunt my chunk just to limit hazards. My neighbors are gun hunters- who have met the DEC on a couple of occassions for shooting too close to my house.....nice to know they can use an SKS/AR, 300 win mag, etc... or better yet the legal 17 cal centerfire.....

This state is nothing short of stupid when it comes to deer management and hunting

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow...just read this for the first time...sorry for you guys and agree...just have to say though...had I made the comments you guys did...pretty sure a few ppl here would have bent over backwards to try and shred my opinion...still hoping they wont show up in Livingston ;)

Nope, I'm not gonna say a word... :D ...

Not MY business....

Why should I lead a crusade against ignorance....?? 

I know what you feel like, Growalot, I think they are all out to get ME too... :O ...

Besides, it's time for my nap....

• 3 months later...

I for one am glad we can use rifles in wyo county. With the properties being bought sold and split up, the posted signs are flying up faster and faster each year... now everything is posted in my area except 100 acres or so of hayfields and hedge rows. Luckily this area is owned by friends of mine, so I am permited there. Funny thing this year is the deer dont seem to be spending a lot of time in the woods, but they are instead bedding in the hedge rows and feeding in the hayfields... That is where the rifle comes in handy.... you cant reach them with the shot gun. One tag to go and I will be done with regular season.

I sure hope some of my snooty, greedy and un-christian like land-posting neighbors get the chance to read this post here... cause there's deer hanging in the old chestnut tree and there will be more swinging in the breeze come this weekend! Actually, I should thank my neighbors.... because of thier efforts, I have had the most productive regular season ever. Oh yea... the savage .270 sealed the deals too!

• 3 weeks later...