New deer dropper

Billdogge

51 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm barely 170lbs and badly separated shoulder. Never had an issue with shooting in a T Shirt. 7MM WBY Mag. Then again, it takes 3 shots a year to be spot on out to 450yds.

Shooting guns for fun is boring. I only take a few shots to make sure guns are still on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are my hero! 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Man you guys are rough.   He is just proud of his new gun.  Nothing wrong with congratulating him and wishing him well.  Bill has been a great guy to deal with in my experience.  

Plus one! I've met and dealt with Bill in person. Good guy. He is no different from many of us,  when we get a new firearm or hunting item. And whatever someone else buys with their hard earned money, does not have to please me. Only them. And if it doesn't please them it's really no skin off my azz.  Again....JMO.

I sell a lot of guns and bows. I make good money and have no kids. Never happy with a gun and I don't like guns I won't shoot sitting around. 
I guess that's a bad thing unless you get a deal when I take it to the Balls

No need to justify any of it with any of us, I have cabinets full of bad gun purchases.

When someone offers their experience and you act like a child it opens the door...

If THAT doesn't tell us all we need to know about you.......................

I'm 100%. I never sit around thinking it would be fun today to shoot 20rounds. Lots of other things I would rather do for fun. Only time I take a few shots with the shotgun is before the season to make sure it's good. The rifle I'll go years without shooting. Then take a bunch over a 3-4 sessions before heading out west and then re checking after flying. I've never had an issue sitting on my ass and shooting off my knee long distance as long as the gun isn't off.

3 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Then again, it takes 3 shots a year to be spot on out to 450

Darn it.  I shoot at least 20 shots a year and would not shoot at 300 let alone 450.  Either I am practicing too much or need a weatherby.   

• Like 3

Darn it.  I shoot at least 20 shots a year and would not shoot at 300 let alone 450.  Either I am practicing too much or need a weatherby.   

The gun/scope doesn't change unless its jarred. So consistency relies on the shooter.

The compound I have shot 113 times in my career now, which has to be more than any gun in my whole life. But I must say I thought it would Be tougher. All 113 shots were easily inside an 8" plate (as they say).

Sometimes, not spending enough time and ammo on the range can cost you.   I lost a couple of chops on a doe last year, when my $ 4.00 slug struck above rather than below the spine as I had intended.  That also resulted in my needing to "waste" a second finishing shot, as well as a few seconds of extra suffering for that doe.   Looking back, I would have liked to have used a couple more of those $ 4.00 slugs on the range, to dial that gun in right where I wanted it.  

At the time I sighted it in and saw that it was high, I thought I could just compensate by aiming low.   Unfortunately, things are a lot different when the "target" is breathing.  I had not killed a doe on our farm in a number of years and suffered from a little "doe fever".   Most of us learn from our mistakes and move on, hopefully not making the same one again.  It would be cool if more of us could learn from the mistakes of others.  This site can be a good tool for that.  It is too bad that more folks don't have the courage to share their mistakes here.

One thing there seems to be plenty of here, is folks who like to come down on others for making mistakes.  You don't have to look beyond this thread to see some of that.  Those "attackers" are the ones I feel most sorry for, because all those attacks accomplish is to make a documented public spectacle out of their own insecurity.   Bible reading and Jesus Christ can cure that problem.   I don't know of anything else that can.            

Edited by wolc123

The gun/scope doesn't change unless its jarred. So consistency relies on the shooter.

The compound I have shot 113 times in my career now, which has to be more than any gun in my whole life. But I must say I thought it would Be tougher. All 113 shots were easily inside an 8" plate (as they say).

Watch out Levi Morgan! This guy can hit 8" plates! To judge how "tough" archery is, is a judgement that can't be made this early into your endeavors. Don't get your panties bunched, this was mostly a joke. Although it's a bit Conor McGregor'ish to come to a different sport and say how easy it is before you've really done it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Watch out Levi Morgan! This guy can hit 8" plates! To judge how "tough" archery is, is a judgement that can't be made this early into your endeavors. Don't get your panties bunched, this was mostly a joke. Although it's a bit Conor McGregor'ish to come to a different sport and say how easy it is before you've really done it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I'd say all were within 3" to be honest. My point is that I continue to shoot because unlike a gun there is more room for human error. Levi is my boy, we both Mathews pro staff! LOL

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'd say all were within 3" to be honest. My point is that I continue to shoot because unlike a gun there is more room for human error. Levi is my boy, we both Mathews pro staff! LOL

You do know Levi left Elite because he wanted a greater challenge.  Elite was simply too forgiving and accurate.  Matthews, on the other hand .............. 

• Like 2

You do know Levi left Elite because he wanted a greater challenge.  Elite was simply too forgiving and accurate.  Matthews, on the other hand .............. 

Same here. With an elite I'd be out west already smoking antelopes at 60-70yds. But with the Mathews I have to wait till next year

11 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I enjoy getting out to shoot. I only do it a couple times a year due to school, but its always fun.My favorite caliber is 30-06, but I don't have much experience with too many calibers.  

If you have a 30-06, you don't NEED any other calibers...

Fortunately, NEED and WANT  are two different things...<<grin>>....

• Like 6

Well I finally got to range to shoot the new guns. I shot the might 308 and lived to see another day (this is a joke!)

The Christensen shot like a dream. Recoil of a .243 if that. It's amazing what a designer can do. Only shot to break in and get on paper but there is great potential there.

The 6.5 Winchester XPR is one hell of a gun for the money. Winchester has a $100 rebate right now so these can be had for short dollar. It shot very well and minimal recoil. Again only shot to break in and get on paper but this gun is accurate.

A day later the shoulder is not angry so I'm a happy camper.

• Like 7

Great looking gun, but all these comments about competing makes, models and calibers is all lost on me. For umpteen million years, all I ever shot was a 12 gauge Ithaca Deerslayer that liked to tear my shoulder off. I sure collected a lot of deer with it, but target practice sessions were held to as few slugs as possible. So a few years ago when rifles were allowed for deer hunting in Ontario County, I went looking for a gun that was not as brutal on the hunter's end as it was on the deer's end. I had my son bring up his .270, and my choice was made right there. Almost no recoil. And it has become a real deer killer. So I cannot really make any comments about other guns. Frankly, when it comes to deer calibers, I really have no experience at all.

And yes, I do like to shoot. And I like to shoot without punishment. And I would like to get every shot in the same hole, but elongating holes is the best I can do. But anyone who thinks shooting is boring simply has not set their goals high enough, or I should probably say, high enough to take the boredom out of the activity. Archery is no different. When you think you can consistently place every arrow in the kill zone of a deer, it may be time to tighten even that group up considerably. The challenges (and fun) will return.

• Like 1