Smell new rubber boots

Taylormike

I was wondering what you guys do to rid the smell of new rubber.  My wife bought me Alphaburly's, which I'm excited because I've read great reviews.  However, the new smell of these boots is just too strong, they have been airing out but still have that new distinct rubber odor.  What do you do if in fact you do anything?

20170919_201028.jpg

I bought new Lacrosse boots back in early July, hoping to be able to rid the boots of the new boot odor before season. I scrubbed the boots with scent killer laundry detergent, sprayed them with scent killer, and left them hanging outside upside down for the past 10 weeks. I kept checking them every so often, but I could still smell the new boot odor. Last weekend, I thought about putting them in the new Scent Crusher bag that I got last year for Christmas. I put them through two 15min cycles with the ozone and I dare say that I don't smell the new boot odor at all!

• Like 1

I recently bought a pair of Muck Woody Sports. They had a smell to them as well, when I took em out of the box. I sprayed them with Sawyers and wore them around the farm doing chores, a few times, just to break them in. They got dirty, left the dirt on, and now they just smell of dirt and hay. Good to go. 

• Like 1

Wear them as much as possible outside around the house doing chores. You can wash with water and baking soda (make it into a paste), cover in mud, leave outside but upside down. My boots smelled horrible when i first bought them but still wore them in the woods with no issues with deer. Unless you are in a bubble or plastic bag  the deer will smell you so it won't make too much of a difference.

bow hunters over think scent,

predator trappers catch wary animals, ones that often times have been scared by traps before, if you follow the same scent control as a good long line trapper which is almost zero concern over scent , then  deer will have no notice of you.

like camo clothing and three million kinds of broadhead, , scent control is a marketing genius' idea.

• Like 1

honestly if one was truly concerned with human scent spooking deer in their hunting spot they would spend as much time as possible traipsing around their hunting spot and habituating deer to their scent.

they only fear new things, and it doesn't take them any time at all to get used to something.

they follow a new rubber boot scent from food plot to food plot or feeder to feeder, what's the difference, and poof they learn to follow rubber boot scent expecting food. it's not as complicated as the marketing people want to make it seem.

deerdeck.jpg

2012-09-24_16-27-31_400 (2).jpg

Edited by slickrockpack

41 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

honestly if one was truly concerned with human scent spooking deer in their hunting spot they would spend as much time as possible traipsing around their hunting spot and habituating deer to their scent.

they only fear new things, and it doesn't take them any time at all to get used to something.

they follow a new rubber boot scent from food plot to food plot or feeder to feeder, what's the difference, and poof they learn to follow rubber boot scent expecting food. it's not as complicated as the marketing people want to make it seem.

deerdeck.jpg

2012-09-24_16-27-31_400 (2).jpg

Theres a big difference between animals that have become accustomed to humans then tramping through the woods on opening day with boots that stink of rubber. And lets face it, muleys are not the brightest of deer species on par with a rut crazed moose. Yes with time any animal will associate a smell or behavior as a way to get free food and may let thier guard down. Dont think thats what the OP was trying to get at nor do i think the OP will have the time or desire to have his local deer herd appreciate the smell of rubber. Apples to oranges in my opinion.

1 hour ago, slickrockpack said:

bow hunters over think scent,

predator trappers catch wary animals, ones that often times have been scared by traps before, if you follow the same scent control as a good long line trapper which is almost zero concern over scent , then  deer will have no notice of you.

like camo clothing and three million kinds of broadhead, , scent control is a marketing genius' idea.

Actually quite the contrary to all the trapping shows ive watched...they boil traps, use gloves when setting traps, use scent in and around thier traps etc.....Sure some predators are easier to catch then others, but atleast from what ive seen scent control and scent use plays a huge part in a successful trap line. I dont trap so i could be wrong or maybe the trap shows are a big gimmick scheme as well. To each thier own, but for me the biggest obstacle i see in killing wild deer is the ability to elude their keen sense of smell.

9 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Actually quite the contrary to all the trapping shows ive watched...they boil traps, use gloves when setting traps, use scent in and around thier traps etc.....Sure some predators are easier to catch then others, but atleast from what ive seen scent control and scent use plays a huge part in a successful trap line. I dont trap so i could be wrong or maybe the trap shows are a big gimmick scheme as well. To each thier own, but for me the biggest obstacle i see in killing wild deer is the ability to elude their keen sense of smell.

yep , you are wrong. But it is ok.  you can think whatever you want it won't effect a thing, main thing is you are happy, doesn't matter if it's true.

it's  an interesting window into human psyche to see how making something we have been doing with sticks and rocks for 10,000 years (ability to feed oneself)  has to be turned into something worthy of high fives and bragging rights...I don't think its wrong or right its just interesting.

go out and pick a carrot and we don't high five but if we can make it appear that carrots are elusive, hard to find, difficult to catch and possibly dangerous when cornered well then, it's grandstand time. 

some people  have been conditioned to admire those who are presented as heroes (usually by someone selling hero worship stuff)....so it's natural to want to be heroic themselves

even if it's the simple act of feeding oneself.

you ever see a show that isn't sponsored by someone selling  something, you let me know. I have those channels blocked on my TV for a reason, they have nothing to do with hunting or the outdoors and they generally make me hate white people and want to send money to ISIS

you just fired a 32-350 MooseChucker and blew the deer to hell and gone, why are you whispering??

if people shut them off and actually got outside they'd stop thinking deer are afraid of the smell of rubber....or people for that matter.

if you can get a cat to come to you , you can get a deer to come to you

you have t stop thinking that animals think and act like people. much less what marketing people tell you they act and think like cuz it just aint so.

people's notions are ......something.

14 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:

yep , you are wrong. But it is ok.  you can think whatever you want it won't effect a thing, main thing is you are happy, doesn't matter if it's true.

it's  an interesting window into human psyche to see how making something we have been doing with sticks and rocks for 10,000 years (ability to feed oneself)  has to be turned into something worthy of high fives and bragging rights...I don't think its wrong or right its just interesting.

go out and pick a carrot and we don't high five but if we can make it appear that carrots are elusive, hard to find, difficult to catch and possibly dangerous when cornered well then, it's grandstand time. 

some people  have been conditioned to admire those who are presented as heroes (usually by someone selling hero worship stuff)....so it's natural to want to be heroic themselves

even if it's the simple act of feeding oneself.

you ever see a show that isn't sponsored by someone selling  something, you let me know. I have those channels blocked on my TV for a reason, they have nothing to do with hunting or the outdoors and they generally make me hate white people and want to send money to ISIS

you just fired a 32-350 MooseChucker and blew the deer to hell and gone, why are you whispering??

if people shut them off and actually got outside they'd stop thinking deer are afraid of the smell of rubber....or people for that matter.

if you can get a cat to come to you , you can get a deer to come to you

you have t stop thinking that animals think and act like people. much less what marketing people tell you they act and think like cuz it just aint so.

people's notions are ......something.

No difference to me, i dont trap.

42 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

Theres a big difference between animals that have become accustomed to humans then tramping through the woods on opening day with boots that stink of rubber. And lets face it, muleys are not the brightest of deer species on par with a rut crazed moose. Yes with time any animal will associate a smell or behavior as a way to get free food and may let thier guard down. Dont think thats what the OP was trying to get at nor do i think the OP will have the time or desire to have his local deer herd appreciate the smell of rubber. Apples to oranges in my opinion.

that is my point exactly, go walk around now in your boots if you think in your heart that deer or any animal cares about rubber....turkeys are well known for being especially easy to walk up to

turkeys and rut crazed moose.

we tame grizzlies, mountain lions, badgers, wolverines, wolves, and use moose and bison to log with....mule deer everyone knows and turkeys anyone can walk up to them and pet them, but whitetails in the suburbs of NY who smell 8 million cars and dogs and people and buses a day all their lives, THOSE bastards get one whiff of rubber and POOF they move to FLorida and wont come back

don't be stupid. if you think a deer in NY doesn't know what  boot smells like thenyou're just fooling yourself into thinking they are spooky animals and you're living in a wilderness area because it says so on a sign,

past here is wild-ness and it takes a helluva man to kill a deer on this side of the parking lot.

if you want to keep deer out of your garden or yard eating your plants then just hang a new boot out there...they can't possibly smell you, your cat, your dog, your kids diapers and your hot tub,pool, smoker, pool table and laundry room...that boot oughta drive them away no problem.