Any recipes for bear?

buffalojay83

Hello,

I was talking to a coworker about hunting etc, and how I'm hoping to snag a bear this year.  She mentioned her father in law had processed a few last year and had said how it's terrible and jnot worth taking because they're greasy, nasty, gross, yada yada..... Buuuuut I gotta see for myself.  So any delicious bear recipes out there you guys and gals could refer to me would be beary nice.   see what i did there?

The bear i harvested was in central NY, lots of corn around. The meat was delicious. We made it several ways, steaks rubbed in olive oil and garlic cooked over applewood.  Also made cubes cooked in crock pot with mixed vegtables...whatever you do ensure it is cooked very well as you can get trichinosis. Ensure that you trim away all fat (theres lots of it).. Good luck.

I believe the trick to good bear is cooking it raised. grill, roast in a rack and so on. I like to use a rub that is 50% brown sugar and 50% Montreal  steak seasoning. I put it in  a blender and pulverize it. rub on the meat (steaks and backstraps usually) and wrap in saran wrap. Place in fridge over night and then remove and grill. I like it medium rare  (Medium at the most) just like venison. You will hear the accounts and warnings about trichinosis but I've eaten 5 bears and am still here to type. 

I will say that the bears are a poster child for "you are what you eat". If it is a "dump bear" I wouldn't waste my time, mainly because of the ungodly smell.  

17 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I believe the trick to good bear is cooking it raised. grill, roast in a rack and so on. I like to use a rub that is 50% brown sugar and 50% Montreal  steak seasoning. I put it in  a blender and pulverize it. rub on the meat (steaks and backstraps usually) and wrap in saran wrap. Place in fridge over night and then remove and grill. I like it medium rare  (Medium at the most) just like venison. You will hear the accounts and warnings about trichinosis but I've eaten 5 bears and am still here to type. 

I will say that the bears are a poster child for "you are what you eat". If it is a "dump bear" I wouldn't waste my time, mainly because of the ungodly smell.  

Ive used this rub before, cooked the steaks on the grill, but I did mine just to the point of well done just in case. Its friggin delicious.

Below is An older but good article, and since that writing steve had a case of trichinosis as can be detailed on his podcast. I Agree with the above reference to bears being dependent on their diet. The fall bears that I have killed without bait while bowhunting have been excellent eating. A spring bowhunt bear over bait was nowhere as good and a costal fall bowhunted bear was totally not edible. While bear meat isn’t high on my list of game meats it still can be good. The hinds make excellent hams after they are brined and smoked. I find it very suitable for ground meat application as well as stews etc. I do not care to use it for any type of steaks or roasts as the cooking temperatures too high for the application.

http://www.petersenshunting.com/uncategorized/steven-rinella-the-bear-facts-on-trichinosis/

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Best recipe I have found for bear is not to shoot them, if you have to shoot one give it away. I have had it a bunch of times from a bunch of bears and haven't found a bear or bear recipe that I found enjoyable to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like geese...........

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sounds like geese...........

I will take all the geese you want to give away, my buddy makes pastami that is out of this world!

i had some bear meat given to me, i used it in a chili recipe and it was very good, even better than the venison.

Edited by Otto

51 minutes ago, Otto said:

I will take all the geese you want to give away, my buddy makes pastami that is out of this world!

He makes it or has it made?

If he makes his own, good on him.  Most processors charge a small fortune to make specialty meats in my experience.  

I’ve had summer sausage made From geese I’ve shot but WTH are you going to do with it all?  Other than gifts, you can only eat so much of the stuff.

• Like 1

i am like you - never got a bear but want to try it and just get one once.  I was gonna make bear beer brats and also a blueberry breakfast sausage.  Then some stew meat and a little for braising.  Wasnt gonna do any regular steaks cause it has to be well done.  And I dont like any well done steaks. Might be one reason no one cares for bear.  Well done venison is tough and dry as also.  

10 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

He makes it or has it made?

If he makes his own, good on him.  Most processors charge a small fortune to make specialty meats in my experience.  

I’ve had summer sausage made From geese I’ve shot but WTH are you going to do with it all?  Other than gifts, you can only eat so much of the stuff.

He makes it himself.  Brines it and smokes it.