Carrying Crossbow/compound bow simultaneously

chrisw

6 minutes ago, growalot said:

This is no different than carrying a shotgun and a compound to turkey hunt at the same time...I could legally shoot a deer with that compound  I could not with the shot gun , If I thought about it it's still not illegal until there is a dead deer.

Wrong, it is illegal to have a firearm while bow hunting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

i actually think there would be questions. Now if you had a turkey vest on and a bunch of decoys and calls you would probably be ok. If you were in a bunch of scentlok without any calls... you'd probably be ticketed. Ultimately the issue with grow's story in my opinion is that she had both. it's a lot more fuzzy than just having one or the other. 

Why? do you carry calls and a turkey vest when hunting small game? Personally I have hunting clothes that vary based on weather and not the game I am pursuing. So I would be in my deer hunting clothes for small game and turkey

• Like 1

Actually I believe there is a law prohibiting having lead while duck or goose hunting.
There is, because it's not a legal implement to take migratory birds with. Same as the crossbow right now for deer, and you're in possession of it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Yet I was told, look at that, I was told, as long as it is a legal implement for the species being hunted OK to carry both.
You were told it had to be legal for BOTH species!!! Therefore both weapons need to be valid for BOTH species! That is what it says!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, chrisw said:

If the officer involved has probable cause to believe you were deer hunting while in possession of a shotgun then yes it would be illegal, dead deer or not.

talk about dismissing... Here we go and how do you suppose he would put together probable cause without a dead deer? You think they are going to say hey you out there with turkey decoys and a shotgun with turkey shot...I think your hunting deer here's your ticket...because here's your sign unless he strip searches whom ever he stops and finds a slug on them there is NO probable cause with out dead deer:rolleyes:

talk about dismissing... Here we go and how do you suppose he would put together probable cause without a dead deer? You think they are going to say hey you out there with turkey decoys and a shotgun with turkey shot...I think your hunting deer here's your ticket...because here's your sign unless he strip searches whom ever he stops and finds a slug on them there is NO probable cause with out dead deerdefault_rolleyes.gif
Do me a favor... Go back and read the response you got from the DEC. Your particular answer is right in front of you. It clearly states that you can hunt with multiple weapons for multiple species as long as they are both legal to take BOTH species. Yours are NOT. Therefore it is ILLEGAL.

10 minutes ago, chrisw said:

You were told it had to be legal for BOTH species!!! Therefore both weapons need to be valid for BOTH species! That is what it says!

UNTIL they find the written law that is here say ...written law, written law, written law.. Now they may very well find it..I mean they did say they were search several laws and regulations TRYING to find it  and that it wasn't an EASY question... I know YOU HAVE to feel absolutely  right...but it's really not that simple and I see where YOUR emotions have been getting the best of you ,not with just me ,thats expected, but with a few others...Try waiting for the FACTS then if your right  I'll throw you an on line party and give you all the kudo's you desire.

PS in the mean time We've all learned a few things along the way know matter what the out come...which as the e-mail stated will be a few days out...

Edited by growalot

20 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

And that is THE difference. 

However both of those implements are legal to hunt turkeys with, so is what you did really illegal?  Who's to say you aren't hunting turkeys?  Both of those implements are commonly carried at the same time in the spring turkey season.

UNTIL they find the written law that is here say ...written law, written law, written law.. Now they may very well find it..I mean they did say they were search several laws and regulations TRYING to find it  and that it wasn't an EASY question... I know YOU HAVE to feel absolutely  right...but it's really not that simple and I see where YOUR emotions have been getting the best of you ,not with just me ,thats expected, but with a few others...Try waiting for the FACTS then if your right  I'll throw you an on line party and give you all the kudo's you desire.
PS in the mean time We've all learned a few things along the way know matter what the out come...which as the e-mail stated will be a few days out...
I don't need/want kudos from anyone. You're turning this into something personal and you may be surprised to know I don't have some vendetta against you. I feel that if it were someone else to bring this to your attention (like was done in the live from the stand thread) you admitted you may be in the wrong by saying something along the lines of, if it is my bad, I've been doing it for a few years now. But since it's me bringing it up your going to fight it tooth and nail until there's no way out. Whatever. Like I said way back, it's your ticket, it's your fight in court, it's your money. If you want that hassle for flirting with the shady side of a law then have at it.

5 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

However both of those implements are legal to hunt turkeys with, so is what you did really illegal?  Who's to say you aren't hunting turkeys?  Both of those implements are commonly carried at the same time in the spring turkey season.

I do know guys that do it in the spring. There are some on the site that live to turkey hint and barely hunt deer at all. With some of the comments I've seen here I guess you would have to tell me what style boots you were wearing so we can determine if the law is broken. 

• Like 1

As mentioned several times earlier, there isn't a law stating this is what a turkey hunter is... It's up to the officer to piece together and decide if what you're telling them adds up... The reason it is so much clearer in the spring is because there is no conflicting hunting/weapon seasons during turkey. You're after one species, not two different species with different regulations at the same time.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

right, but in the spring season both weapons are legal at the SAME time....while bow and crossbow are both legal weapons for deer and turkey, the crossbow is only legal for deer during certain time periods....so if you're in an area that the the crossbow season for deer isn't open yet, although it's legal at some point, it's not legal when you're carrying it.

• Like 1

I think the thing that keeps coming up is that whoever is actively hunting deer, and that the xbow is not legal to hunt deer at this time.  Why has it not been brought up that maybe the person is actively hunting turkeys, in which case both implements are legal to use. 

I totally understand both sides of this, but the issue is very gray.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

right, but in the spring season both weapons are legal at the SAME time....while bow and crossbow are both legal weapons for deer and turkey, the crossbow is only legal for deer during certain time periods....so if you're in an area that the the crossbow season for deer isn't open yet, although it's legal at some point, it's not legal when you're carrying it.

unless you really are walking in to turkey hunt with it. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Why doesn't one of you brave souls go hunt with a bow and crossbow, or bow and shotgun on some public land where you know that DEC officers frequent and report back your findings?   If you get arrested we here on the forum will start a collection and promise to bail you out.  At least we would know what the correct answer here is once and for all. 

Edited by steve863
  • Like 1

You really read into things, that was a statement not an indication I thought I was doing something wrong ..I'm not fighting anything I am simply enforcing the need for facts...facts for all hunters to know exactly what is and isn't allowed...When a question arises the next logical step, even though one has literally combed through all available information, is to go to the source. I had no reason to do this until you came in with, well lack of a better term hear say . So I'm waiting for WRITTEN results. Logic not emotion and I can only surmise your reactions to me ..in saying I was being non nonsensical, something shady..you do know you used the term shady a few times, that you do have an axe to grind whether you'll admit it or not..

Edited by growalot

I think the thing that keeps coming up is that whoever is actively hunting deer, and that the xbow is not legal to hunt deer at this time.  Why has it not been brought up that maybe the person is actively hunting turkeys, in which case both implements are legal to use. 
I totally understand both sides of this, but the issue is very gray.
It's not grey when you admit you're hunting deer while in possession of a crossbow also. There is no question in this situation. The whole point of this thread doesn't and isn't about how to decide what someone is hunting. The fact that people bring that up is trying to find a way around the specific situation by saying you're hunting something other than you are. (LYING) The only situation here is, CAN YOU HUNT DEER DURING THE BOW SEASON, WHILE IN POSSESSION OF A CROSSBOW FOR SMALL GAME (TURKEYS) BEFORE THE CROSSBOW DEER SEASON OPENS?

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

So, even after approximately 4-5 DEC officials have all given the same answer, and we pretty much all agree now on this thread that it would be illegal in your situation, Grow still cannot admit maybe she was in the wrong.

if you paid attention at all to the illegal burying of garbage thread you would know that you never will. After countless regulations and experts tried explaining it to her, she went as far as citing regulations from Texas to defend her position... and now i'm blocked. lol.

every year someone unintentionally does something wrong. They're corrected and we all move on having learned from the mistakes. Just this spring this guy shot at a second turkey on the same day. We politely pointed it out to him, he hunts multiple states and said he was confused and thanked the group for reminding him. It's very simple folks. 

40 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Why? do you carry calls and a turkey vest when hunting small game? Personally I have hunting clothes that vary based on weather and not the game I am pursuing. So I would be in my deer hunting clothes for small game and turkey

so you'd be hunting squirrels with a bow and crossbow? If a LEO buys that story he needs a new profession.  If you're turkey hunting without a decoy or a single call, than you're better than most. If you're deer hunting you cannot posses a weapon that is illegal during the deer season. that was pretty clear in the regs and right now the crossbow isn't legal. 

7 minutes ago, Belo said:

so you'd be hunting squirrels with a bow and crossbow? If a LEO buys that story he needs a new profession.  If you're turkey hunting without a decoy or a single call, than you're better than most. If you're deer hunting you cannot posses a weapon that is illegal during the deer season. that was pretty clear in the regs and right now the crossbow isn't legal. 

so if joe hunter goes in with a crossbow today and sets up in a blind with no decoy or calls then is should be presumed he is really out there trying to poach deer?

• Like 1

Chris you left out in that little response to Rack Attack  That I was hunting deer and turkey while carrying a compound for deer and a crossbow for turkey..that was my intent . I had no other intent then to  make the most of my time afield and shoot what ever legal species with it's appropriate legal weapon.... Neither happened but We will find out  whether my interpretation was correct or not when we get WRITTEN verification one way or the other for as the DEC clearly stated not all regulations are in the hunters regulations guide...go figure...