Carrying Crossbow/compound bow simultaneously

chrisw

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Im not following you. Where can you take a shotgun?

She’s trying to apply a different set of Reg’s to her situation but she doesn’t know the regs to know she is wrong. 

You cannot hunt waterfowl with lead shot and there are size limits to the shot you can use. If you are caught with lead shot or a slug of any kind it is on violation of the law. None of that has anything to do with her attempts to interpret the law as she sees fit for her own personal gain. 

• Like 1

It sure can. I would think that the level of confidence one has in the Encon officers and the regulations is framed very much in the past experiences with them. I have dealt with nothing but top notch professionals out here in Region 8, some of the eastern regions, not so much.  Toss in the other LEO's that are not totally focused on ENV law and that frames my hesitancy to  just leave it to their interpretation. 

Again in agreement. But that’s the situation we are in.

Maybe, just maybe we can all at least agree that this one is not worth the effort and risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Belo said:

Again in agreement. But that’s the situation we are in.

Maybe, just maybe we can all at least agree that this one is not worth the effort and risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stated early on I had no interest or desire to try it. I was just having fun becasue it struck me odd there would be an opinion put out by DEC and not a reference to a section. I've never been one for "becasue I said so" caused me a lot of a$$ ache growing up...lol

31 minutes ago, growalot said:

You can hunt turkey with a shot gun during bow season...that's where you can take a gun in bow season.

Again Doe you are wrong, but continue to think thoughts for me   :rolleyes:

But you cant take the shotgun and bow out at the same time. Noone was saying you cant have a gun in the field for something other than deer during bow season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

She’s trying to apply a different set of Reg’s to her situation but she doesn’t know the regs to know she is wrong. 

You cannot hunt waterfowl with lead shot and there are size limits to the shot you can use. If you are caught with lead shot or a slug of any kind it is on violation of the law. None of that has anything to do with her attempts to interpret the law as she sees fit for her own personal gain. 

Right, it’s like having a box of slugs when out goose hunting “just in case” a deer strolls past...good luck explaining that one away.

What part of there are copper slugs did you not read? I specified that...and I believe this is almost exactly the conversation I was referring to..Tell me,because I do not goose hunt...what violation would someone carrying copper slugs during goose hunting if gun deer season were  open as well?...I'm curious.

What part of there are copper slugs did you not read? I specified that...and I believe this is almost exactly the conversation I was referring to..Tell me,because I do not goose hunt...what violation would someone carrying copper slugs during goose hunting if gun deer season were  open as well?...I'm curious.
Because slugs aren't a legal implement for goose hunting, copper or not... You cannot have them on your person while hunting geese.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

My father pheasant hunts where there is also good duck hunting. If he gets his pheasants he then goes back the truck to get his steel shot because he can not carry lead shot and steel. If a warden found him with both its a ticket. It doesnt matter if he was illegally hunting ducks with lead, you can not posses lead shot while duck hunting. 

2 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

All these laws are so theres no way a warden has to "take your word".                 " I wasnt hunting ducks with the lead, i was carrying it for pheasants." Same as i had no intentions of shooting a deer with the crossbow, its for turkey.

and the it's up to you to prove you weren't....not worth the time and trouble as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jjb4900 said:

and the it's up to you to prove you weren't....not worth the time and trouble as far as I'm concerned.

Thats the thing, ur getting ticketed, probably having the guns or bows or whatever u had on u confiscated. Then you have to fight it on your court day. Maybe the judge is leanant maybe they are not.

,So law regulations specifies no slugs ,not just no lead? Because a shot gun is a legal implement for both species in their open season right? We have already established it's legal to hunt two species at the same time...as long as the shot gun is plugged...Though that said you need  to have a choke for goose shot?

,So law regulations specifies no slugs ,not just no lead? Because a shot gun is a legal implement for both species in their open season right? We have already established it's legal to hunt two species at the same time...as long as the shot gun is plugged...Though that said you need  to have a choke for goose shot?
They specify specific shot sizes that are legal. Slugs are not...

The good news is we have a bunch of law abiding hunters arguing about poorly written laws. The bad news is the poachers would be laughing at this thread , they know they can break all the laws for years with little chance of ever getting caught, then pay a couple hundred in fines and be back at it , if they are ever caught .

Ive had the DEC break my balls because I spelled Canandaigua wrong , X off the date in ink instead of cut it out ( which as legal ) and watched them ticket my buddy for taking sunfish off his little daughters hook , because he did not have a fishing Lic. Now mind you he did not have a pole of his own either just putting on worms and talking off sunnies for a little kid .

meanwhile the true law breakers could give a crap .

• Like 5

So the DEC stating it is legal to carry two weapons . and hunt more than one species with a legal weapon has now put slugs and bird shot on the same level  voiding one weapon do to size of shot? When Bird shot and deer slugs are no where near the same? 

Listen Chris..you can accuse me of baiting ...for that's what I'm doing now.....let's just all wait for written law confirmation ,one way or the other on the original post..:bye:

So the DEC stating it is legal to carry two weapons . and hunt more than one species with a legal weapon has now put slugs and bird shot on the same level  voiding one weapon do to size of shot? When Bird shot and deer slugs are no where near the same? 
Listen Chris..you can accuse me of baiting ...for that's what I'm doing now.....let's just all wait for written law confirmation ,one way or the other on the original post..kolobok_bye.gif
I have no idea what you're trying to say with the slug/birdshot thing. Either it's your Kindle or you're grasping so far that I can't even draw a correlation between the two. I don't need to answer these questions for you because the birdshot/slug debate is already layed out in the current regulations, which you would know if read them. I wouldn't call it baiting. Because baiting can be effective. As has been repeated over several times now, it is almost pointless as to what the "law" states at this point. If you want to fight the DEC on your dime, knock yourself out. But it's unanimous that it is ILLEGAL or at the very least very highly questionable, by DEC official standpoint.

• Like 2

it's kinda like going duck hunting where you're required to have steel shot, but throw some lead in the bag just because you may have a chance at a pheasant somewhere along the way....all that stuff is legal, but when you mix it, it becomes a problem. Kinda like alcohol and cars...it's legal to drive, and legal to be drunk..but when you mix them it becomes illegal.....fairly simple.

35 minutes ago, growalot said:

the issue here is overlapping seasons, while yes its perfectly legal to carry 2 legal implements during a legal open season for a specific animal its not legal to carry one legal weapon for one game animal and a different one for another when animal #1 weapon is not legal for animal #2. 

you can not possess illegal ammunition while legally engaging in hunting for a specific species where the use of that ammo is deemed illegal, ie slugs, lead shot, wrong size shot etc. for your shotgun, or a shotgun with all the the legal ammo for said shotgun for waterfowl hunting and then possessing  slugs just in case you see a deer.   The bigger issue here is with waterfowl violations you now fall under both state AND federal charges.

There have been quite a number of people arrested for carrying a crossbow during the closed part of the crossbow season (earlier than the last 2 weeks) since this whole crossbow deal started back in 14/15.  Dec writes tickets and they are upheld in court, and last I knew squirrel opens sept. 1st.  I guess their excuse of I was hunting squirrels wasn't bought.

Edited by reeltime

One would have to  be pretty stupid to get caught , honestly . 

Dec fines are lIke parking tickets , I'll pay the $75 for a great parking spot . But I just toss an old parking ticket under the wiper , and never get a new one ......

11 hours ago, moog5050 said:

....... Not my words, but pretty well point on in my experience.  That said, this seems to be much ado about nothing really.  How many people want to carry 2 weapons.  Not me!

There's the best response to the OP's question, after 10 pages (so far) of hair-splitting &/or grey area scenarios!?!

Are we all bored?