Two Coyote Take Down A Trophy Buck On Trail Cam Photos

There are two "happy times" each year for the coyotes.  The first is the weeks after fawns are dropped in the late spring/early summer.   It is easy to understand why this is the time when most deer are consumed by coyotes.    The second happy time provides more pounds of venison from far less deer.   That would be post-rut when the bucks are at their weakest.  Most hunters have seen a rutted out buck struggle to keep up with a group of does and yearling fawns.   It is no wonder that they are the first to be taken down by the coyotes at that time.  Mature does are also at their strongest and fastest at that time.  That is no coincedence, but a simple law of nature that is necessary to insure the survival of the species. 

I would like to see NY state open up coyote hunting and trapping season year round.   If they do not, it probably will not be too long until the coyotes kill more deer every year than hunters do.    That seems to be a shame, with so many folks struggling to get enough food.  Look at the food lines at urban homeless shelters and so forth.  Why have fat coyotes and hungry people ?   

• Like 2

You went from coyotes killing deer to food lines at homeless shelters? Good to see nothing has changed around here. I'm glad I abandoned the politics discussions.

On the bright side, here's a photo of a sun rise. The sun just made it around to line up with the camera.

IMG_0192.JPG

• Like 2

Few hunt them now in any season open. Most treat them as a target of opportunity. It's proven hunting alone does not have any real effect on numbers - even where they take it serious. Year round season would do nothing to have a real effect in NY

• Like 2

DEC consider coyotes as a management tool. Especially in populated areas where hunting is not allowed or minimal.

Same in Columbia county where more often than not, large tracks of land are off limits to hunting. 

I've talked to our local DEC officer on a few occasions, and he admitted coyotes are a essential tool in controlling deer numbers. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 7:08 AM, mowin said:

DEC consider coyotes as a management tool. Especially in populated areas where hunting is not allowed or minimal.

Same in Columbia county where more often than not, large tracks of land are off limits to hunting. 

I've talked to our local DEC officer on a few occasions, and he admitted coyotes are a essential tool in controlling deer numbers. 

That's interesting, considering some of our resident coyote aficionado's are convinced they have virtually no impact on deer populations.

48 minutes ago, Rattler said:

That's interesting, considering some of our resident coyote aficionado's are convinced they have virtually no impact on deer populations.

Any biologist will tell you they CAN have an impact on controlling deer numbers, the "aficionado's" are convinced that they will not and can not eradicate entire herds... which is what most ignorant hunters would have us believe. The coyote is no less or more important than the whitetail deer and shouldn't be killed just for the sake of killing.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

On 11/6/2017 at 6:17 AM, wolc123 said:

There are two "happy times" each year for the coyotes.  The first is the weeks after fawns are dropped in the late spring/early summer.   It is easy to understand why this is the time when most deer are consumed by coyotes.    The second happy time provides more pounds of venison from far less deer.   That would be post-rut when the bucks are at their weakest.  Most hunters have seen a rutted out buck struggle to keep up with a group of does and yearling fawns.   It is no wonder that they are the first to be taken down by the coyotes at that time.  Mature does are also at their strongest and fastest at that time.  That is no coincedence, but a simple law of nature that is necessary to insure the survival of the species. 

I would like to see NY state open up coyote hunting and trapping season year round.   If they do not, it probably will not be too long until the coyotes kill more deer every year than hunters do.    That seems to be a shame, with so many folks struggling to get enough food.  Look at the food lines at urban homeless shelters and so forth.  Why have fat coyotes and hungry people ?   

Please tell me how 30,000 coyotes are going to kill and eat  213,000 deer per year. Again the kind of ignorance that makes it hard to have an intelligent conversation. Animals are suppose to be fat, that is how they survive... and their main diet is NOT deer.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, nyantler said:

Please tell me how 30,000 coyotes are going to kill and eat  213,000 deer per year. Again the kind of ignorance that makes it hard to have an intelligent conversation. Animals are suppose to be fat, that is how they survive... and their main diet is NOT deer.

26 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Where did you see me use those numbers ?   There are two "happy" times a year, when their main diet could be deer.  That would be fawning time and post-rut.    

Did you forget making this statement

I would like to see NY state open up coyote hunting and trapping season year round.   If they do not, it probably will not be too long until the coyotes kill more deer every year than hunters do.    That seems to be a shame, with so many folks struggling to get enough food.  Look at the food lines at urban homeless shelters and so forth.  Why have fat coyotes and hungry people ? " 

There are about 30,000 coyotes in NY and 213,000 taken by hunters last year.  Each coyote in NY would have to kill and eat 7+ coyotes  to match hunter harvest numbers and deer are not the main diet of coyotes. So tell me how they will kill more deer than hunters. And, coyotes have nothing to do with hungry people.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, nyantler said:

Did you forget making this statement

I would like to see NY state open up coyote hunting and trapping season year round.   If they do not, it probably will not be too long until the coyotes kill more deer every year than hunters do.    That seems to be a shame, with so many folks struggling to get enough food.  Look at the food lines at urban homeless shelters and so forth.  Why have fat coyotes and hungry people ? " 

There are about 30,000 coyotes in NY and 213,000 taken by hunters last year.  Each coyote in NY would have to kill and eat 7+ coyotes  to match hunter harvest numbers and deer are not the main diet of coyotes. So tell me how they will kill more deer than hunters. And, coyotes have nothing to do with hungry people.

I think the number of hunters in NY has been declining for the last decade or so.  The number of coyotes has been increasing over that period.   It all comes down to how long is "too long".    A year round open hunting and trapping season on coyotes would push that out a little further, don't you agree ?   Maybe you are one of those who believes that if more coyotes are killed, they will more than make up for the losses by having larger litters and actually increase in number.   I have heard that argument a few times in the past.   

Are you against a year round open season on coyotes in NY ?  Also, what does an average week-old fawn weigh, and how many pounds of meat do coyotes consume per week on average?  Certainly the vast majority of deer that coyotes kill are fawns. It would not be too far of a stretch to assume that an adult coyote could kill 7 fawns in a week.   

If hunters killed more deer and coyotes killed less, there would be more "surplus" for them to donate to the hunters feeding the hungry program.  Does that make sense to you now. 

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I think the number of hunters in NY has been declining for the last decade or so.  The number of coyotes has been increasing over that period.   It all comes down to how long is "too long".    A year round open hunting and trapping season on coyotes would push that out a little further, don't you agree ?   Maybe you are one of those who believes that if more coyotes are killed, they will more than make up for the losses by having larger litters and actually increase in number.   I have heard that argument a few times in the past.   

Are you against a year round open season on coyotes in NY ?  Also, what does an average week-old fawn weigh, and how many pounds of meat do coyotes consume per week on average?  Certainly the vast majority of deer that coyotes kill are fawns. It would not be too far of a stretch to assume that an adult coyote could kill 7 fawns in a week.   

If hunters killed more deer and coyotes killed less, there would be more "surplus" for them to donate to the hunters feeding the hungry program.  Does that make sense to you now. 

Sorry but none of what you say makes any sense. It's like you make it up as you go along. You need to read more about coyotes from the people who have studied them for years. I have never had a problem donating a deer a year to the Venisen Donation Drive and there are coyotes where I hunt, as well as an ample population of whitetails and we don't hunt coyotes indiscriminately on the property. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

this nonsense coming from the person that just a week or so ago was blaming fellow hunters that passed up deer of causing more vehicle/deer accidents.  :rolleyes:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, reeltime said:

this nonsense coming from the person that just a week or so ago was blaming fellow hunters that passed up deer of causing more vehicle/deer accidents.  :rolleyes:

Would you like to see year round hunting and trapping of coyotes in NY ?    On one hand, they do help control the deer population, which probably does save a few human lives.   On the other hand, they make it tougher for humans to harvest the deer and eat them.   I would prefer to see year round hunting of coyotes, coupled with the opening up of more urban areas to deer hunting with crossbows and vertical bows.    That would be a far better way of controlling deer populations, that would also help feed people and be a little easier on some of their pets.   

Speaking about the people who study coyotes, I recall the DEC released info a few years back watching one coyote den, with 4 pups in it, that had 16 fawns brought to them by their mother during the time they were in the den.  They had it all on camera.

5 minutes ago, Rattler said:

Speaking about the people who study coyotes, I recall the DEC released info a few years back watching one coyote den, with 4 pups in it, that had 16 fawns brought to them by their mother during the time they were in the den.  They had it all on camera.

Been hearing stories about "den cams" for probably 15 years - dozens if not 100's of versions and all "knew a guy". When asked for even a single photo, not a single one has ever been posted or shared that I have ever seen. Based on the amount of stories about them, the actual pics should be common and not as rare as NYS mountain lion photos. :rolleyes:

http://www.dailyzone.net/videos/7-year-old-kills-deer-with-atlatl-video/ 

Sorry for derail but I like this video that was attached to Coyote one.

And yes, that coyote video makes it's way around every year for years.  Which reminds me. Where's the mountain lion in bed of pick up truck that always surfaces every year that's shot in umpteen different places

• Like 2

Would you like to see year round hunting and trapping of coyotes in NY ?    On one hand, they do help control the deer population, which probably does save a few human lives.   On the other hand, they make it tougher for humans to harvest the deer and eat them.   I would prefer to see year round hunting of coyotes, coupled with the opening up of more urban areas to deer hunting with crossbows and vertical bows.    That would be a far better way of controlling deer populations, that would also help feed people and be a little easier on some of their pets.   
I could care less if the season is open all year, even if it was open all year I doubt the added hunting time would add much to the harvest totals

Again with the human deaths caused by deer, the numbers are so small its barely worthy of a consideration in regards to deer management.
Coyotes do not kill as many deer as people think, yes they do kill and eat deer always have and always will but their primary diet is mice (which by they way are primary carriers and transmitters of the Lyme virus) and other small mammals.

While I have no issue with the venison donation program but to use it as an excuse to just kill more deer and make it easier on their pets??? Where do you come up with this stuff? I have no problem helping people in a time of need and have always been one to help, but We have reached a point that there is a growing number in our society that just simply refuse to help themselves and just want everything handed to them for free.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

One mistake NY coyote supporters make when discussing eating habits, is failure to study only NY yotes.  Our's are not the same as the western variety that consists mainly on small animals.   Our's are a coyote/wolf hybrid that is about twice the size of the western variety.  Often coyote research from across the country is cited to claim certain things about NY coyotes.   When that is done, it's either naivety, or an attempt to hide facts.