hunting in the rain (have any tips to share?)

goosifer

Since opening day is going to be raining and very windy in many parts of NY this weekend, I was wondering if anyone had any practical tips they'd like to share for hunting in the rain and or extreme wind (20mph+) as far as clothing and equipment go. I know this question is casting a rather broad net, but I figure we can make it a useful thread for everyone. One specific question I had was if I should rub my gun with some rem oil on the outside of it and cover the end of the barrel with a finger cot (like a small condom, no ribs) to keep water out (I do this for my muzzleloader)

Edited by goosifer
added wind to rain in question

4 minutes ago, goosifer said:

Since opening day is going to be raining and very windy in many parts of NY this weekend, I was wondering if anyone had any practical tips they'd like to share for hunting in the rain as far as clothing and equipment go. I know this question is casting a rather broad net, but I figure we can make it a useful thread for everyone. One specific question I had was if I should rub my gun with some rem oil on the outside of it and cover the end of the barrel with a finger cot (like a small condom, no ribs) to keep water out (I do this for my muzzleloader)

keep yourself as dry as possible and try to find a sheltered place to hunt. If you are out of the wind in those features the deer will be too. I have spent whole days in the rain and there is no need to barrel protect like a muzzle loader. I also wouldn't worry about oiling your gun like you mentioned. I wouldn't want to inject the smell, honestly. When done hunting I would break it down. dry it well and get it warmed up, then put a light oil on all the metal parts to ready it for the next outing.  Good luck. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I love my Bushnell Elite rifle scopes.  They have Rain Guard in the lens coating.  I don't even use scope caps.  Unless I fill the bell of the scope with snow, I can see through it.  I haven't had it fog either.  Not the brightest or fanciest scope, but it has saved me alot of headaches because I can see through it under almost any conditions.  

I will be putting up a ground blind in the cedars for the weekend.  I will just wipe down my rifle and dry it out.  I don't worry about oiling it until after the season.  

Not to derail the thread but I think it parallels it.
Are most pop ups waterproof? I have one I hardly ever use and I have no idea lol. Ameristep I think?

Also I hesitate to use one on public land. I don’t want to be not be seen by other hunters! I’d have to drape safety vests all over it? Tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most of my blinds have been pretty waterproof.  I had a Primos Predator Den that was very tight.  It was made of way heavier material than most blinds.  My Ameristep is thinner, and has more pinholes, but it still did a good job of shedding water.  Only a few drips.  I believe they make blaze orange caps that go on top of the blind.  I don't hunt public, so I haven't really consider being seen by hunters.  My buddy hangs his vest on a nearby tree.

I think most pop ups will repel rain but not totally rain proof.  Kind of like a camping tent, it'll keep you dry but you should spray it with a waterproofer but I'm sure that stuff will stink.  I wouldn't spray it and go out because of the scent and I would hesitate to use  a camo pop up blind on public land, unless I had a bullet proof vest.  I agree with the other reply, try to find some good cover from the weather as the game should hopefully be doing the same.  Good luck and prayers for safety for everyone!

Edited by buffalojay83
hilarity, filling sarcasm void

7 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Not to derail the thread but I think it parallels it.
Are most pop ups waterproof? I have one I hardly ever use and I have no idea lol. Ameristep I think?

Also I hesitate to use one on public land. I don’t want to be not be seen by other hunters! I’d have to drape safety vests all over it? Tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd tie ribbons of orange marking/tracking tape on the top and on each of the ropes (guy lines?) connected to stakes. Maybe lengths of orange duct tape on the sides (but not sure how well they'd stick)

1).Get in a shed or barn somewhere, bring a pint (or two) of Old Grandad, and hope the roof doesn't leak. A rifle that doesn't fog easily and a good rest are important, shots may be fairly long.

2). Find a lonely neighbor lady whose husband is out freezing in the rain, shack up for the better part of the day, and forget hunting, Sunday looks more promising. Just keep an ear out, he may be coming back to use the clothes dryer, so make sure you have at least one escape route.

3) (Worst option). Get in a tent blind or under some sort of man-made cover. Prepare to get soaked, and freeze your ass off. Hope the blind doesn't blow away when you are sitting in it. Be ready for a very boring day, not many shots will be going off, and the deer are smarter than us, they already know where to to stay warm and fairly dry, thay're not coming out. Pray that your propane tanks in the Big Buddy heater don't run out. Try to make the best of your water-logged sandwiches and jerky. And by all means, leave your cell phone back in the truck or camp, if that gets wet and ruined you'll probably be so irate that you may just consider quitting hunting all together, and take up golf or start watching the NFL again.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 8
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, goosifer said:

I'd tie ribbons of orange marking/tracking tape on the top and on each of the ropes (guy lines?) connected to stakes. Maybe lengths of orange duct tape on the sides (but not sure how well they'd stick)

The blinds I have use some sort of pocket to hide little orange squares that fold out and are visible if you want to use them. 

Yeah I have done it and if it is a complete downpour I have never saw any deer. Being it is rut I think some deer will be up and moving if they don't already have a doe on lockdown. I plan on sitting until I'm soaked coming in drying my clothes and warming up next to the wood stove. Once I get some grub and clothes are dry I'm heading back out. I'll take my tree umbrella and probably put it up but doubt it will help much if there is a driving rain. I will be putting a little piece of electrical tape over my barrel to keep the rain out. 

As for the tip, Don't eat yellow snow.

1 hour ago, chas0218 said:

Yeah I have done it and if it is a complete downpour I have never saw any deer. Being it is rut I think some deer will be up and moving if they don't already have a doe on lockdown. I plan on sitting until I'm soaked coming in drying my clothes and warming up next to the wood stove. Once I get some grub and clothes are dry I'm heading back out. I'll take my tree umbrella and probably put it up but doubt it will help much if there is a driving rain. I will be putting a little piece of electrical tape over my barrel to keep the rain out. 

As for the tip, Don't eat yellow snow.

I don't think the rain or snow bothers them at all. I remember back about around 98 or 99. I sat in a stand and it POURED all day from sun up to sun down. It was shotgun area and I saw 3 of the biggest bucks of my life on the same trail. about an hour apart and just out of range. Before you ask...no I didn't move closer after seeing number 1 go though.  becasue how could another slob come down the same trail.  and I didn't move after number two went through either. I didn't even move after number 3 went through. As it turns out that was the only correct move I made that day becasue #4 never came through..lol. Wind on the other hand is a death blow in my view. Heavy wind takes away one of their senses and they don't like to move. (as a general rule)

I have also had very good luck in heavy rain that made the woods loud with the drops hitting the leaves and trees. They don't seem to like the constant noise and I have seen them move to areas like golden rod fields. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

i've found the difference between cheap camo and expensive camo is generally the wind/rain blocker and layer of fleece or silent weave on top to keep it quiet. I don't own rain gear, what I own is real expensive whitewater (someone i think scentlok bought them) gear that is wind/waterproof. So i wear it no mater what in late season. I also bought a brimmed hat from cabelas that helps the rain drip off my gear and not down my back (i dont like hoods). The challenge will be wind. I don't have a rainproof facemask so I just might bring 2 with me and swap them out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/mens-hunting-clothing/mens-hunting-headwear/mens-cold-weather-hats/pc/104797080/c/104748480/sc/104380380/i/103956480/cabelas-hytrel-tinsulate-ii-jones-cap/2256704.uts?slotId=18 

• Like 1

I hate to soak up my gun, so I will be oiling up the outside quite thoroughly an sliding it inside a garbage bag.

I have some pretty good heavy blaze orange rain gear so I am hoping to be able to stay dry-ish. My blind has walls that offer a pretty good wind-break.

malrd01.jpg.00fb07175a380d9c134cc34aea11d96f.jpg

I'm only about 15 minutes from the house, so if things get too ugly, I have an escape plan.....lol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

I hate to soak up my gun, so I will be oiling up the outside quite thoroughly an sliding it inside a garbage bag.

I have some pretty good heavy blaze orange rain gear so I am hoping to be able to stay dry-ish. My blind has walls that offer a pretty good wind-break.

malrd01.jpg.00fb07175a380d9c134cc34aea11d96f.jpg

I'm only about 15 minutes from the house, so if things get too ugly, I have an escape plan.....lol.

looks like a crime scene..........for 4 legged offenders!