Ideas on how new York can increase land access for hunting .

Hunter007

10 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

Here is a simple plan for you that might achieve your goal:    Get in your car and take a slow drive around the neighborhood in the daytime, after the snow lets up, and the wind dies down.  Look for deer tracks crossing the road.  Mark the locations on a map (street address etc).  Do this on ever increasing circular routes, near where you live.   Find one of those on-line apps that provides the tax maps for the area, or get one from the town hall and get the property owner's names and addresses.  Clean yourself up, get a haircut,  shave, use some deoderant, brush your teeth, use a breath mint, put on some clean clothes, and go visit these folks.  Start with the closest and/or those where there was the most tracks.   Introduce yourself and ask nicely for permission to hunt.  Offer to do some work for them, maybe starting with shoveling their driveway, etc this winter.    Picking up some food or meds at the store or carrying in some firewood for some elderly retired folks would earn you some points.  Offer to share some meat with them.   Some might turn you away, but don't let that stop you from trying again.   Use "inside tracks", ie relative, friend of a friend, etc. to up your odds of success.    

If and when any of them give you the land access you seek, always try and do more for them than they have done for you.  Do your best to leave the land in better condition than you found it when you leave.   You will never loose if you can do that, and you will gain a reputation that might give you even more access to their family's and friends land.  Also, let them know before bringing others along to hunt with you.   Good luck with it and merry Christmas.                

No thanks I'm not into begging

To strangers or family or friend's for anything 

Merry Christmas tho 

I will  hunt the public land nearest me .

And take the drive to better public when I can.

No thanks I'm not into begging
To strangers or family or friend's for anything 

Merry Christmas tho 
I will  hunt the public land nearest me .
And take the drive to better public when I can.

Lol, you're a joke! Keep dreaming about others doing the work for you and playing the poor me card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Here was my solution:

I decided that I don't want people so close that I can hear their arguments or listen to their kids. So I went to Western New York where I could live in the country and still have good lucrative employment, have lots of land at a dirt cheap price, and stay the hell away from neighbors, and build my own place to my specifications. This gave me  some darn good hunting land that I can control the hunter density on. Taxes are relatively cheap because we don't demand a pile of services. Every morning I wake up in a nice quiet valley surrounded by wooded hillsides. Every weekend I get to wander the hills and learn the deer movements. It's like year around scouting/hiking/camping surrounded by nature, peace and quiet.

The bad parts: for about 35+ years I had a 45 minute to 1 hour commute to work. That's a lot of driving time. It's kind of relaxing when the roads are bare. But they weren't bare all the time....lol. It's a lot of gas and vehicle maintenance. It is 15 miles into town for shopping. Geez....I don't even have street lights and sidewalks. I just looked at what I valued the most and went for it. Never a minute of regret.

The good news is that I live in my hunting land and every one knows it. That goes a long ways toward solving the trespass problems. Its not a complete solution, but it works a lot better than having land that is abandoned for most of the year (and everyone knows it).

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Lol, you're a joke! Keep dreaming about others doing the work for you and playing the poor me card.

I am a joke ?

I guess the part a said about driving 3 hours and leasing land only to have some toothless hilljack hunting on it  because they know I don't live near there  did not sink in did it ? 

I rather walk 2 or even 6 or more  miles in the middle of nowhere to hunt deer on public  then do that again , as a,matter of fact I like it better that way for the most part . When I have the time to get up to those places 

Much more satisfieing then hunting behind someones ' house and then using a atv to drag the deer 300 yards  out of the back yard  like a lot of people I know  do  . 

But this is getting off topic now . 

The original question was   if it's not going to effect you in anyway  would you be in favore of that kind of program yes or no ?

this may not even effect me personally because there still may not be any good places near me that volunteer there  land for that program anyway ,But i am still for it . I think  it would  help a lot of  other hunters out . 

Edited by Storm914

I am a joke ?
I guess the part a said about driving 3 hours and leasing land only to have some toothless hilljack hunting on it  because they know I don't live near there  did not sink in did it ? 
I rather walk 2 or even 6 or more  miles in the middle of nowhere to hunt deer on public  then do that again , as a,matter of fact I like it better that way for the most part . When I have the time to get up to those places 
Much more satisfieing then hunting behind someones ' house and then using a atv to drag the deer 300 yards  out of the back yard  like a lot of people I know  do  . 
But this is getting off topic now . 
The original question was   if it's not going to effect you in anyway  would you be in favore of that kind of program yes or no ?
 this may not even effect me personally because there still may not be any good places near me that volunteer there  land for that program anyway ,But i am still for it . I think  it would  help a lot of  other hunters out . 

No I wouldn't support it because with this states government it would end up effecting me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

No I wouldn't support it because with this states government it would end up effecting me.

Fair enough that is a real possibility because  they are so corrupt in this state it is  not even funny .

Edited by Storm914

On 12/24/2017 at 9:17 AM, Storm914 said:

I always here a lot of new and even old hunters saying they don't have time to hunt as much as they would like because they  only good  places open to hunting are far away from where they live .

My idea is why not  give big  land owners and farmers  the option to open up parts of there land to public hunting for a tax break or even the state could  lease from them the  land to be used for the hunting season . Also new York State could have  a extra permit for a fee for hunters  that wanted to hunt that  leased land .this way it would cost them nothing and maybe would even generate more revenue for them.

Ok now tell me why my idea is crazy let's here it :)

You just don't get it do you?

I have read this whole thread, twice! You make no solid grounds for people to open up private land to public hunting except that it seems you don't want to hunt public land. While I actually understand that, you don't seem to grasp that opening private land to all hunters would make that land the same as public land!

Imagine this scenario, you have been seeing some big deer all Summer on this private lot, come late August you notice some of those deer have some nice racks! So, you go to the land owner to get permission to hunt, he/she says "YES" with glee ( they get a tax break )! You head out to put up trail cams, and realize, 50 other people have cams up. Now what do you do? You have access to "private" land that is now nothing more then a local state forest..

You want access to private land, knock on doors and work out deals, or pay the price and lease land. If you have the balls to venture into the Catskills or the Adirondack park you will have plenty of public land to hunt, and not see another hunter.

Where do you hunt again Storm914? Maybe people on here can help you find some public land to hunt. Suggesting that people who own private land have DEC allow access to that honey pot won't work. I talked to the land owner who allows me to hunt his land in the ADK park. I asked him if he would open his land to the public for a "Tax Break". I cannot repeat what he said on here, known this man for 20 years, only heard him say the f-bomb once. Heard him say it a lot more after asking about the tax break. 

7 minutes ago, ....rob said:

You just don't get it do you?

I have read this whole thread, twice! You make no solid grounds for people to open up private land to public hunting except that it seems you don't want to hunt public land. While I actually understand that, you don't seem to grasp that opening private land to all hunters would make that land the same as public land!

Imagine this scenario, you have been seeing some big deer all Summer on this private lot, come late August you notice some of those deer have some nice racks! So, you go to the land owner to get permission to hunt, he/she says "YES" with glee ( they get a tax break )! You head out to put up trail cams, and realize, 50 other people have cams up. Now what do you do? You have access to "private" land that is now nothing more then a local state forest..

You want access to private land, knock on doors and work out deals, or pay the price and lease land. If you have the balls to venture into the Catskills or the Adirondack park you will have plenty of public land to hunt, and not see another hunter.

Where do you hunt again Storm914? Maybe people on here can help you find some public land to hunt. Suggesting that people who own private land have DEC allow access to that honey pot won't work. I talked to the land owner who allows me to hunt his land in the ADK park. I asked him if he would open his land to the public for a "Tax Break". I cannot repeat what he said on here, known this man for 20 years, only heard him say the f-bomb once. Heard him say it a lot more after asking about the tax break. 

I just want closer hunting land less driving but that is  not going to.happen when I have time I go to the caskills and even farther up sometimes sometimes I hunt private land and I have had a lease before to . 

I know what I am proposing is never going to happen  .

It's just a idea .

Only thing that may happen is the state opening up more parks to hunting getting more  land for hunting and Recreation  in general.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/47452.html

The Habitat & Access Stamp is suppose to increase access to public and private lands for fish and wildlife recreation.  Please direct your attention to the words “fish and wildlife recreation”.  It could be for others forms of recreation like bird watching and nature viewing, NOT exclusively for hunting or fishing.  So if the Habitat & Access Stamp money is for “fish and wildlife recreation” why is the stamp only sold where hunters and fisherman go to purchase licenses?  Why not sell the Habitat & Access Stamp where bird watchers and nature watchers purchase their equipment?   I heard one year DEC used the money to take children on a boat cruise around Manhattan to view wildlife.  That would meet the criteria for “fish and wildlife recreation”.   I wonder how many of those children and their parents purchased a  Habitat & Access Stamp?

New York State is not hunter friendly.  I would only support purchasing a Habitat & Access Stamp if the money was strictly used for hunting and fishing access, and habitat improvement in the DEC region of MY choice.  Because that is not the case, I have never purchased a Habitat & Access Stamp.

Another point is the “public fishing access streams”.  These are private properties that have given permission for fishing only.  I have had to put up with groups of party people and people taking their dogs for swims while I “tried” to fish.  They were actually trespassing since the rule is the access was for fishing only.  So imagine if hunters pay private landowners for access to hunt, who else will enter the property to bird watch, etc.?

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2017 at 9:17 AM, Storm914 said:

I always here a lot of new and even old hunters saying they don't have time to hunt as much as they would like because they  only good  places open to hunting are far away from where they live .

My idea is why not  give big  land owners and farmers  the option to open up parts of there land to public hunting for a tax break or even the state could  lease from them the  land to be used for the hunting season . Also new York State could have  a extra permit for a fee for hunters  that wanted to hunt that  leased land .this way it would cost them nothing and maybe would even generate more revenue for them.

Ok now tell me why my idea is crazy let's here it :)

This already happens in a sense.  They're called conservation easements.  Many big land owners (often times timber companies) will set up easements with the state for the public to use (to include hunting and fishing).  I think for reasons of liability and economics, it really only makes sense for big-time land owners.  For the random farmer who might own a few hundred acres, the reward may not outweigh the hassle and intrusion, especially considering that any random stranger can use a conservation easement.  

For access to good hunting farmland in western and southern NY, you're best bet is getting permission or finding a good lease.  I hear old-timers talk all the time about the good old days when they used to be able to hunt their neighbor's land without any problems.  I think we live in a different society now.

Make it illegal to lease land for the purpose of hunting and instead offer MEANINGFULL tax breaks and incentives to landowners that would and DO allow hunting.

Landowners could post a identifying sign showing participation in the program, hunters have to ask, and land owners could pick & choose who and when they would allow access.

15 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Im leaving private land next season to hunt state land . For bow season .

Good luck with that. I was doing some research on WMA's in 9A last night. Know where you are going yet? Also, I've heard good things about Iroquois National Refuge in 8?)

2 hours ago, Steve D said:

Make it illegal to lease land for the purpose of hunting and instead offer MEANINGFULL tax breaks and incentives to landowners that would and DO allow hunting.

Landowners could post a identifying sign showing participation in the program, hunters have to ask, and land owners could pick & choose who and when they would allow access.

Really? People will be living on moon before that happens

• Like 1

Years ago there were poster sings that stated  "Hunting with written permission only."  The land was posted but you had to talk to the owner & get the written permission slip & carry it with you. That way a person could hunt & the owner knew who was on their land.  I believe leasing land for hunting has screwed hunting access up in NY & other states.  jmo.

28 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

Really? People will be living on moon before that happens

No kidding!!  The state could care less if hunters have a hard time finding private land to hunt.  They sell hunting licenses one way or the other. No way in hell will the state give up tax money just so that landowners open up land to hunters.  Plus, how would they prove that landowners are indeed allowing hunters to hunt?  The landowner could say that he let Joe and Jim Shmo hunt the land, and Joe and Jim Shmo could be the landowners cousins or best friends who he let hunt his land all along.  You think the state will do checks on who is related to who or who might have hunted the land before?  You think the state is willing to give up tax money for situations like this?  NO way would this ever work!

35 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

There is 2 types of property owners with big chunks of land.

People that are already leasing out to hunters and would not care about a tax break cause they are already getting paid.

People that are antis and would not let people on there land for no amount of money.

WTF?!?!  i don't know what a "big chunk" of land is but i assure you i can't fit enough hunters on the farm to lease, have it pay all the taxes, and not have them think it's worth the money i'd have to charge them.  any landowner i know of would care about taking advantage of a tax break. i'm not even in a really high tax area compared to some areas in NY.  i just thought it up in my head.  i'd be charging each of you at least $2k to hunt and you'd all be up each others a** and could have conversations treestand to treestand.

2 hours ago, goosifer said:

Good luck with that. I was doing some research on WMA's in 9A last night. Know where you are going yet? Also, I've heard good things about Iroquois National Refuge in 8?)

I have some places picked out about an hour to hour and half away. The problem is being able to get away long enough to look around before the season starts.

Listen, If someone really wants to find a piece of property to hunt they will find a place.  Reminds of a buddy of mine, crying there is no place to hunt but never once tried on his own to find a place it was always up to me or somebody else. Now he has not hunted in 5 years, boo hoo, guess what, he is not a real hunter. I have gained dozens of spots over years, so many that most I never even hunted cause there is only so many places you could hunt. Another buddy of mine bar tends on weekends after working construction all week long just so he could pay his lease so he could hunt. Forget the ridiculous idea of landowners pretty much being forced by state to let people on there land.  Some of you sound like a bunch of liberal jackasses. If you want to hunt so bad you could find land.  It is not that difficult..... 

• Like 1

I believe there are plenty of state land spots in the state that have good hunting . 

Just most are  far to commute to .

But if you have the time and money to stay a few days  upstate either camping  or hotels I know plenty of good spots all just a little to far to hunt and try and get back home in the same day .  It is what it is I guess .  

Here is the great state of New York’s plan to give you more land to hunt:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/47452.html 

Created in 2002 by Legislation, the Habitat & Access Stamp helps supply financial support towards the department's efforts in improving and conserving fish and wildlife habitat, as well as increasing access to public and private lands for fish and wildlife recreation.

• Like 1