Staying home for New Years or party hardy

rob-c

On 12/27/2017 at 2:56 PM, dbHunterNY said:

I got a new smoker for Christmas.  probably staying home and cooking up ribs, pork loin, venison, and/or something else good.  we'll invite some family and friends with other kids so we all don't have to figure out the babysitter situation. it's in the works right now but nothing set in stone.

DB, what did you get for a smoker? 

9 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Masterbuilt Pro dual fuel charcoal/propane... no window and size wise the unpacked box stands up to my belt line and i'm 6'.

I've got the same one.  Had it for about 6 yrs.  Made some fantastic Q on that smoker. 

Couple tips... DONT believe the door therm, there notorious for being way off. Grab a Maverick dual probe therm. One probe is for meat and the other is a ambient probe.  Next get a bayou classic needle valve and place in in the gas line.  It's difficult to get temps low enough with the stock temp knob.

Don't get a flow control setup like the one a turkey fryer has( one with the red knob), that's a high pressure unit. The burner on your smoker is low pressure burner.  I also got rid of the stock chip pan and went with a small cast iron pan. 

I did a few other mods over the yrs. PM me if you have any questions.  

Enjoy the smoker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mowin said:

I've got the same one.  Had it for about 6 yrs.  Made some fantastic Q on that smoker. 

Couple tips... DONT believe the door therm, there notorious for being way off. Grab a Maverick dual probe therm. One probe is for meat and the other is a ambient probe.  Next get a bayou classic needle valve and place in in the gas line.  It's difficult to get temps low enough with the stock temp knob.

Don't get a flow control setup like the one a turkey fryer has( one with the red knob), that's a high pressure unit. The burner on your smoker is low pressure burner.  I also got rid of the stock chip pan and went with a small cast iron pan. 

I did a few other mods over the yrs. PM me if you have any questions.  

Enjoy the smoker. 

I was thinking i'd have trouble with lower temps using the propane from using other propane enclosed cooking appliances in the past.  i'll have to look into that valve.  I've usually used the ones on the door but admit they're not perfect.  need to check your eats anyway for internal temp though.  i'll look into the maverick. some are nice if wireless so you don't have to open the unit up.

I've got a turkey fryer and it came with a safety solenoid that has to be pressed in every 12 minutes or so.  wicked P.I.T.A.  I've got a small cast iron pan but why'd you ditch the stock one??

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

I was thinking i'd have trouble with lower temps using the propane from using other propane enclosed cooking appliances in the past.  i'll have to look into that valve.  I've usually used the ones on the door but admit they're not perfect.  need to check your eats anyway for internal temp though.  i'll look into the maverick. some are nice if wireless so you don't have to open the unit up.

I've got a turkey fryer and it came with a safety solenoid that has to be pressed in every 12 minutes or so.  wicked P.I.T.A.  I've got a small cast iron pan but why'd you ditch the stock one??

Had issues with keeping chips lit in stock pan at lower temps. The cast held more heat. I ended up ditching that and did what's called the mailbox mod. Basically, use a metal mailbox and pipe that into the lower side vent.  Put a a-maz-n tube in the mailbox for smoke. Eliminates the need to keep adding chips. 

1 minute ago, mowin said:

Had issues with keeping chips lit in stock pan at lower temps. The cast held more heat. I ended up ditching that and did what's called the mailbox mod. Basically, use a metal mailbox and pipe that into the lower side vent.  Put a a-maz-n tube in the mailbox for smoke. Eliminates the need to keep adding chips. 

when you say lower temps are you dropping down to a little under 200?

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

when you say lower temps are you dropping down to a little under 200?

Most cooks were in the 225 range.  Except summer sausage, pit temp has to be below 170.  Little tip.  Make foil packets of chips. Poke some holes in the top. No need to soak the chips either. 

Most cooks were in the 225 range.  Except summer sausage, pit temp has to be below 170.  Little tip.  Make foil packets of chips. Poke some holes in the top. No need to soak the chips either. 
Yea depends on the chips and temp. Sometimes I don't soak them either.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We stay home these days. The wife and daughter are actually headed down south so it will just me and the boy. I already took some gator out for gator nuggets. We will have a bunch of good food and such and watch some walking dead episodes we are behind on.

• Like 2

We are staying home,I enjoy my beer and the wife will have afew Highballs/Canadian club and ginger.2017 has been a tough year and no need to have more troubles from driving under the influannce of alcoholic beverages.To all going out be safe.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, coonhunter said:

My wife and I are going out to Texas Roadhouse with friends which is nice because we all work different hours and it is not often that we get to do adult stuff all together. Funny part is that the men don't drink, so we will be the babysitters for the women after they have a few cocktails.

A quote from Frank Sinatra...." I feel sorry for people who don't drink....When they wake up in the morning that's the best they're going to feel all day..."

• Like 2

Gonna stay home and hit the hard stuff all day. Acetometophine appetizers with some tussin shots. Hope to be passed out before 9.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Y’all talking about purple drank? Make sure you got styrofoam cups and jolly ranchers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

Gonna stay home and hit the hard stuff all day. Acetometophine appetizers with some tussin shots. Hope to be passed out before 9.....

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Ballz. Got you too huh. Mucinix has been helping me. Along with shots of DayQuil and NyQuil. Beer now and bourbon later. I may make midnight 

Stay in and have our usual steak, lobster tail, and shrimp. Have a few drinks, a bottle of champagne when the ball drops and off to bed. Been 20 years since we have done any thing different.

This is what we do too. Usually crab but they’ve been crazy expensive for a while now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk