thawing a frozen house

rachunter

I've been wanting to go up to my house and see how things are up/in there.I haven't been up there since December.I normally go once a month but as everyone knows these temp. have been brutal . I've asked a few buddy's of mine with camps/cabins none of them ever go up in the winter so no info there.My concern is thawing out the house then letting it freeze again seems to me it would cause damage,but really have no idea what would happen if anything.The house was winterized.What do you folks think? 

21 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I've been wanting to go up to my house and see how things are up/in there.I haven't been up there since December.I normally go once a month but as everyone knows these temp. have been brutal . I've asked a few buddy's of mine with camps/cabins none of them ever go up in the winter so no info there.My concern is thawing out the house then letting it freeze again seems to me it would cause damage,but really have no idea what would happen if anything.The house was winterized.What do you folks think? 

We are 3 hours from camp so we just winterize it well and say see ya in the spring.  If you were going for a few days on the sleds or something i could see it but to just walk in and heat the place up a few hours i'm not so sure.

• Like 1

I was planning on staying there for two nights coyote hunting.Not sure it would be worth turning the water pump on my concern there is the main pipe would be frozen.I was going to bring water and fill the toilet tank as needed and take sailor showers. I'm wondering if thawing the house out then letting it freeze again when I leave would do any damage.I was going to heat it with the wood burner then turn on the forced hot air[kerosene} after it warms up.

It should be ok.  Would be careful using any water even in the toilet tank.  When I bought my house they had it closed up for the winter.  Don't think they blew out all the lines completely as I had one busted pipe and the toilet cracked.  Right down the side of it so had to replace that before I could even turn the water on.   But just the heat itself shouldn't hurt anything I wouldn't think . Good luck with the camping and the yoting.  

• Like 2

We used to go up to our camp sometimes in the winter.  It was kinda fun.  And we brought in all our stuff on sleds.  We would flush the toilet with a bucket of water.

The most amazing thing was my uncle.  His wife had MS real bad, she was paralyzed from the neck down.  He would bring her in on a sled cause she wanted to go camping.  It was only a couple hundred yards but they used to go. He was amazing. 

• Like 1

The only component in a house that will be damaged by freezing and thawing is something with water in it. Toilet, plumbing & piping, hydronic heating system, etc.  I've lived in uninsulated houses/cabins before, and you just have to make sure there's no water left in any system if you're going to leave for even a few days.

For a short hunting trip I'd skip the shower(s) unless you're willing to empty the trap in the drain when you leave. Same for sinks, of course. And get all the water out of the toilet, both tank and bowl, before you dump the antifreeze in and leave. Big boat sponges work for that.

Imagine your camp is a big solid tent during the winter rather than a fully functioning house. Enjoy the pioneer spirit.

• Like 1

I do it all the time. Just remember to blow out everything when you leave. Might have some lines that will be a bit frozen but get that heat going. My pain in the butt piece of plumbing is the trap for the shower. Its under the cabin and tends to freeze when cold and windy. Usually last one who takes a shower put anti freeze into it. It will take a while for the house to heat up so be patient and dress warm!

I would think you’ll be fine. As others have mentioned, as long as you blew out your water lines well. I had the same problem with the shower trap as First Light. Now I make sure to pour some antifreeze in the drain after a shower. For the toilet, I use a siphon to empty the tank and bowl before pouring in the antifreeze- the type of siphon you’d use to fill a kerosene heater. I’m hoping to get up to my place in the coming weeks and plan to turn the water on and use the shower. 

• Like 1

I go up to my camp several time a winter, but it is designed for low maintenance. No running water, I bring a 5 gallon jug along which is plenty for hand washing/ cooking for a couple days, and put dishpans in the sink, dumping the waste water in a grease pit. A whore bath ( washcloth and towel) suffices for a couple days....or longer if you are a whore!

We don't use the toilet, I have a commode I bring in from the shed for frigid climes. One of these days I will build an outhouse for winter use.

I try to time trips when temps are moderated a bit. Every inch of the cabin is as cold as the outside temp, so my normal routine is to go up early, start a roaring hot fire, lite the propane lamp to help warm the walls and turn the oven on. It will still take 4-5 hrs to get the main room wrmed up to around 50 or so. In the mean time we usually go snow shoeing or some such thing.  Week ends like the one past, it will take a lot longer, but wisdom dictates to wait for a warmer day. I have never noticed any harm to the camp from periodic warm ups, but before I leave I allways open the doors and windows to allow the now moisture laden air to dissipate, rather than condensing inside.

On 1/7/2018 at 3:01 PM, rachunter said:

I was planning on staying there for two nights coyote hunting.Not sure it would be worth turning the water pump on my concern there is the main pipe would be frozen.I was going to bring water and fill the toilet tank as needed and take sailor showers. I'm wondering if thawing the house out then letting it freeze again when I leave would do any damage.I was going to heat it with the wood burner then turn on the forced hot air[kerosene} after it warms up.

We do it with our cottage when we go up to the lake for ice fishing never had any issues. The materials your house is made out of (assuming wood) was meant to expand and contract in the weather along with drywall, floors and all the other good stuff. We never run any water just use 5 gallons pails to flush the toilet. No shower for us the few days we are up there. Probably wouldn't smell each other over all the bean farts and beer burps. I know rodents will want to make entry into the new warm space so be aware if you aren't sealed that well you might have a few extra mice in the spring.

• Like 1

If I would be putting heat on in there I would only do it if I intended to heat it up well. The first hing that will happen is you'll get condensation on things in there as you heat up. I like to heat it all the way so that goes away. I have seen some problems with drywall joints cracking with a lot of up and down heat changes but personally i wouldn't worry about that. 

• Like 1

I have done this with my camp. I do not use the water at all. Only because i am not taking chances. MY camp is a 150 yr old farm house that always needs a little TLC, Dont want to make more work for myself lol. I dont use water until spring when the freeze threat is gone. When i get there i try to spend enough time to get the place good and warm and dried out. As Culver mentioned, everything sweats when warm air is applied. Regardless you'll be fine only doing it once in a great while. Get it warmed up good.

• Like 1