What's in your turkey vest now?

dbHunterNY

Cabelas tactical tatr 3 vest. Seems to work well. Only thing I don't is the striker pockets are too deep so u don't really use them.

- Primos jackpot pot

- (NY) mountain hollow glass and slate double sided pot

- Hevi Shot shells

- Strikers hickory, laminate, acrylic and brillo pads

- (NY) Bryan Southhard black walnut and sassafras box call

- various mouth calls. Right now from Zinke and primos

- mesh gloves and half face mask

- (NY) Mountain Hollow crow call

- HS owl call or DownNDirty boogeyman Owl call

- whatever else I need. Water, license, etc.fccf7a0941c185a2ec38dd7bdc162e22.jpg73eb8f9f876bcbf3a7fb8130e82a9634.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Dont have a vest but I carry a backpack.  My two decoys fit in there nice.  So  2 decoys (one hen one jake), box call, 5 turkey loads, camo gloves, facemask, facepaint (for real warm days), eyeglasses cleaner, phone.    I also have a foldup seat i sling over a shoulder.  Seems to be a good setup for me.  

• Like 2

Stopped carrying a vest. To much crap i never used.besides a pad to sit on(on a belt) I carry a small bag .this contains a box, push box,ceramic,glass,and slate pot.calls. 7 different strikers and a conditioning kit. It has a smaller compartment that holds a pen a extra set of gloves and extra face mask. I carry an owl hooter in my.pocket 

• Like 2

my personal situation.... tried bag deal and got busted when some things clacked together. for a while i used whatever fit in cargo pants and shirt pockets. one bird over 10 years ago made me bring and try everything i had over the course of multiple weekends to coax him in. hunted with others that had more stuff than pockets.  so looked into a vest and have had one since. again whatever works is just that. we all probably know there's more than one way to hit the woods and kill turkeys.

6 hours ago, G-Man said:

Stopped carrying a vest. To much crap i never used.besides a pad to sit on(on a belt) I carry a small bag .this contains a box, push box,ceramic,glass,and slate pot.calls. 7 different strikers and a conditioning kit. It has a smaller compartment that holds a pen a extra set of gloves and extra face mask. I carry an owl hooter in my.pocket 

I went the same route a few years ago, a small belt back and I carry my seat

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

This vest is ready to go.  Just looking for the right turkey to wear it.

rps20180326_135214.jpg

they all look like jakes in the pattern. not sure if i'd decoy well but the color pallet isn't too bad.  if i had someone to film for proof i'd kill a bearded bird with it on. finish sewing susie and let me know. lol

• Like 1

finally upgraded my old vest and sprung for the Alps Outdoor Z Grand Slam vest. I'm not using it with the kickstand feature but really like all the pockets in all the right places and the cushion is super thick. Its a little on the heavy side and so far only used in Florida so I wont have a complete review till after the season is over.

Contents...

5 rounds Hevi-13 #6 loads

compass

assorted mouth calls 

custom  Matthews slate call

Custom Matthews box call

slate call I picked up in Texas last year dont know the name but great sounding call

3 strikers

Leatherman multi tool

Facemask , gloves

Therma cell unit and refills

crow call, owl call

scotch pads, sand paper, chalk

small browning flashlight

headlamp

pen , plastic zip ties ( for attaching tags to downed bird)

back tag & tag holder

2 water bottles, protein / granola bars

Rain gear if expecting

and last but not least TP

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

People,hunt turkeys ?

not really. just an excuse to buy cool gadgets that make noise to annoy the other half, because you're practicing to get ready.  then when the time comes you leave go into the woods and take a nap in peace.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use a turkey vest.  Instead I use a camo back pack. Plus I attach a multi pocketed waist pouch and a cushion seat to the backpack.  Works good for me as I can put my two turkey decoys in the back pack's main compartment and have the rest of the back pack and the waist pouch pockets for the rest of my gear.  Here's a pic of what's loaded into the back pack and pouch.

Turkey Gear.jpg

25 minutes ago, JALA RUT said:

I don't use a turkey vest.  Instead I use a camo back pack. Plus I attach a multi pocketed waist pouch and a cushion seat to the backpack.  Works good for me as I can put my two turkey decoys in the back pack's main compartment and have the rest of the back pack and the waist pouch pockets for the rest of my gear.  Here's a pic of what's loaded into the back pack and pouch.

Turkey Gear.jpg

Holy crap lol.  Not pictured : the kitchen sink ?! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

A snow shovel I’ve been up here at my place trying to scout but between the deep spots and snow squalls it’s impossible. I haven’t seen any birds or cut any tracks. There’s normally a few hens on my back ten,but nothing back there but rabbit tracks. It’s going to be a mud bath this spring. 

3 hours ago, G-Man said:

Holy! Back pain. ..what he said^^^^^

LOL, it actually looks worse than what it is, really not heavy at all and I like the versatility of multiple different sounding pots.  On more than one occasion I've had them not turned on by the sound of one pot but then the different tone of another  pot will fire one up.