N.y.s. budget passes

G-Man

Wish one of our resident attorneys would translate bill S8121 for us dumb-a$$s and post a new topic with the translation &/or impacts.

Just for the record, have never hit a domestic partner or had an order of protection issued against me!  I can see situations where a (drug?) alcohol fueled provocation or an out of control teen making false allegations might end up ugly, charges pressed and the cops wanting your guns, forever.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Wish one of our resident attorneys would translate bill S8121 for us dumb-a$$s and post a new topic with the translation &/or impacts.

Just for the record, have never hit a domestic partner or had an order of protection issued against me!  I can see situations where a (drug?) alcohol fueled provocation or an out of control teen making false allegations might end up ugly, charges pressed and the cops wanting your guns, forever.

Orders of protections can be used as an aggressive legal tactic, distorting its intent as a protective measure.  Some of the charges are also a pretty low bar.  I don't think anyone on here would have issue with violent offenses, but some of the charges discussed during Floor debate surprised me.

All I know, it this is on Andy's desk, and we all now he will sight it. What happens to a 50YO man, who pushed his wife once 30 years ago? Will he have to turn in all his guns? The bill reads Harassment is now cause for denying gun rights. Is this for both sexes? I ask because I have seen women who were far more "hostile" then most of the men I know.

I agree with not allowing convicted DV people from having guns, I just hope this runs two ways. But, it won't. This is just more fodder. Piss your wife off, she calls the cops and says you threatened her, and presto, your in deep shit. This isn't as rare a circumstance as most seem to believe. 

37 minutes ago, Rob... said:

All I know, it this is on Andy's desk, and we all now he will sight it. What happens to a 50YO man, who pushed his wife once 30 years ago?

Nothing, but if someone has priors and the deems them bad they take your guns or deny owning one.

The bill reads Harassment is now cause for denying gun rights. Is this for both sexes?

Yes, I saw that it clearly states that 

I ask because I have seen women who were far more "hostile" then most of the men I know.

I agree with not allowing convicted DV people from having guns, I just hope this runs two ways. But, it won't. This is just more fodder. Piss your wife off, she calls the cops and says you threatened her, and presto, your in deep shit. This isn't as rare a circumstance as most seem to believe. 

As to the last part, it is a slippery slope. They will be able to take away guns at the onset of a temporary RO which isn’t too hard to get. They could before but it seems like there is less discretion left up to officers now they way I read it. So yes people will get screwed with this. 

Edited by Doewhacker
Tried to fix qoute

10 minutes ago, Doewhacker said:

As to the last part, it is a slippery slope. They will be able to take away guns at the onset of a temporary RO which isn’t too hard to get. They could before but it seems like there is less discretion left up to officers now they way I read it. So yes people will get screwed with this. 

I attached an image as trying to decipher what you said a bit of a PITA. I'm guessing the parts I put a red square around are what you said?

This isn't about gun laws or rights anymore. It's about disarming the populist. The next move will be mental illness. But, who decides that? I think people who have delusions about the end of civilization are a bit unstable. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to have firearms. Look at the point of view they hold.

Oh, and this one is just for "Stay At Home Nomad", "Just Sayin". Mental illness can be anything from depression from loosing a loved one to anxiety about being in a place with too many people. Then there's the bad shit, nut cases who just decide to kill people.

Who decides who is unfit to own a gun? It seems the liberals and Dems have a lock on that one.

Food for thought.

wtfreally.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 8:39 PM, Rebel Darling said:

Everyone should pay attention to a stand alone bill that was a part of the agreement, but had to be broken out as a separate bill in order to separate votes for the Senate Rs. It was introduced after 11 pm on Friday.

S8121 / A10272

https://www.nysenate.gov/legislation/bills/2017/s8121

You're not going to like this...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk

um... how is that a bad thing? Beat your wife, lose your right. Be a gentleman and keep your gun in hand. 

26 minutes ago, Belo said:

um... how is that a bad thing? Beat your wife, lose your right. Be a gentleman and keep your gun in hand. 

Piss her off and she lies like a rug and say goodbye to your guns...Then you will wish you had your Xbow.  Like thats going to stop many from using them all archery season on their own property anyways.

I know many around here wont blink at it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Piss her off and she lies like a rug and say goodbye to your guns...Then you will wish you had your Xbow.  Like thats going to stop many from using them all archery season on their own property anyways.

I know many around here wont blink at it.

so a perfectly healthy marriage is one phone call away from gun confiscation? 

if your marriage isn't healthy, you have bigger problems then guns. 

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

so a perfectly healthy marriage is one phone call away from gun confiscation? 

if your marriage isn't healthy, you have bigger problems then guns. 

Yeah like every hunter has the perfect marriage and how many bitches out there know that all they have to do is mention the word and she hits the guy where it hurts the most.  

Sad you could even think that shit wont happen.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Yeah like every hunter has the perfect marriage and how many bitches out there know that all they have to do is mention the word and she hits the guy where it hurts the most.  

Sad you could even think that shit wont happen.  

i don't believe it's impossible. But I also don't think a guy without any history of violence will be CONVICTED of domestic abuse without some history and possible evidence. I understand as men the odds are against us, but I do believe the horror picture you paint is generally "bubba in the trailer" who may be innocent that one time, but is not saint either. 

And again, if you're with a crazy bitch long enough... well. Here's your sign.

ps. my kids are where it hurts the most. I like my guns... but come on.

Edited by Belo

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

i don't believe it's impossible. But I also don't think a guy without any history of violence will be CONVICTED of domestic abuse without some history and possible evidence. I understand as men the odds are against us, but I do believe the horror picture you paint is generally "bubba in the trailer" who may be innocent that one time, but is not saint either. 

Ha...You think some wont have adult kids?  That one chick will use the kids right along with the agenda of getting him a low blow at all costs.

If you think these days it does not take more than one 911 call to get a guys guns taken away instantly and then him having the burden of trying to get them back.   I believe i have read where its already went down and now with this new sighing by our Dick a day or two ago now it does not even take a felony to lose them all.   Due time and more will come.  keep supporting that Anti shit.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Belo said:

Well, the language now (as I understand it) allows confiscation of handguns AND long guns now based solely on an accusation.  I know of one friend who came home one day years ago to being served and having his pistols taken away.  He had no clue his lawyer wife had been cheating and decided to file for divorce and a restraining order.  Totally blindsided.  He ultimately got everything back, but it took a while.

Another concern could be for a live in gf.  For example, if your new bae stays at your place for 2 weeks, she has established residence.  Want to break up for any reason?  You'll need to go through the eviction process if she doesn't want to leave.  If she knows you own any firearms, then you're pretty much screwed with this new law as she could claim anything against you.  

DV is a horrible situation for the victims and I truly empathize, but we shouldn't throw away the presumption of innocence and start revoking constitutional rights over an accusation, IMO.

• Like 5

restraining orders and oops are handed out like tic tacs anymore.  marriages fail for many different reasons and no matter how young or old you are or how well you THINK you know your spouse or believe that your spouse would never swear out a oop on you and no matter how long you were married or not even married or even in a "relationship" with a person  If you even for 1 second think that it wont happen to you personally you are living in a fantasy world. 

no matter what the circumstances for the ending of a relationship things happen and when you get vindictive lawyers involved ANYTHING can happen!  

It HAS happened even before this bill  was presented I personally know several people that never once raised a hand to their spouse but were slapped with oop's and were made to give up their guns ALL of them including muzzleloaders.   This bill is just another backdoor way of confiscation of guns. 

I am 100% for  actual abusers to loose their firearm rights but not for 100% oop issuance to be the sole gauge of said loss.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, reeltime said:

restraining orders and oops are handed out like tic tacs anymore.  marriages fail for many different reasons and no matter how young or old you are or how well you THINK you know your spouse or believe that your spouse would never swear out a oop on you and no matter how long you were married or not even married or even in a "relationship" with a person  If you even for 1 second think that it wont happen to you personally you are living in a fantasy world. 

no matter what the circumstances for the ending of a relationship things happen and when you get vindictive lawyers involved ANYTHING can happen!  

It HAS happened even before this bill  was presented I personally know several people that never once raised a hand to their spouse but were slapped with oop's and were made to give up their guns ALL of them including muzzleloaders.   This bill is just another backdoor way of confiscation of guns. 

I am 100% for  actual abusers to loose their firearm rights but not for 100% oop issuance to be the sole gauge of said loss.

I know 3 guys that happen to 

I don't think they did anything wrong out of spite girls made up crap I think .

That is why you have to be really really really careful when you get into a relationship  .

This is why I asked for a lawyer/forum member to chime-in. Believe I interpreted the legislation to read "convicted" offenses and "repeat offenders" before any actual gun confiscation occurred. Yeah, there's 1000s of scenarios where ex's or unruly children make false accusations out of revenge or spite. At face value, seems like a logical piece of legislation, but a lot of grey areas too...

Interesting that some of you value your gun ownership over your relationship with a significant other... :taunt: Sounds like a great candidate for one of those infamous redneck signs - Take my wife, but do NOT touch my truck, my hounds or my guns! Lighten up, just poking fun...!!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

Ha...You think some wont have adult kids?  That one chick will use the kids right along with the agenda of getting him a low blow at all costs.

If you think these days it does not take more than one 911 call to get a guys guns taken away instantly and then him having the burden of trying to get them back.   I believe i have read where its already went down and now with this new sighing by our Dick a day or two ago now it does not even take a felony to lose them all.   Due time and more will come.  keep supporting that Anti shit.

show me one bit of proof supporting this claim. Where an innocent man lost all his guns after one 911 call.

Hell our government isn't following up on school shooters lol.

Edited by Belo

14 hours ago, Storm914 said:

I know 3 guys that happen to 

I don't think they did anything wrong out of spite girls made up crap I think .

That is why you have to be really really really careful when you get into a relationship  .

and did all 3 never get them back?

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

show me one bit of proof supporting this claim. Where an innocent man lost all his guns after one 911 call.

Hell our government isn't following up on school shooters lol.

If you think for one second that if you piss your wife off and she calls the law and says one word about threat and guns your case wont be empty before you have time to be cuffed and thrown in the back seat you are a fool   Thats like saying guns were not taken away from some on anti anxiety meds for a period of time.  it will come down to people on pain med's for long term back injury and such being looked at.  Keep sticking that head in the sand. Andy is your friend!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetail's said:

If you think for one second that if you piss your wife off and she calls the law and says one word about threat and guns your case wont be empty before you have time to be cuffed and thrown in the back seat you are a fool   Thats like saying guns were not taken away from some on anti anxiety meds for a period of time.  it will come down to people on pain med's for long term back injury and such being looked at.  Keep sticking that head in the sand. Andy is your friend!

still hearsay. 

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

2 yes 1 no 

But cost $$$$ lawyers 

well if you're with some psycho bitch, you're paying anyhow. Why did the 1 not get his guns back?

18 hours ago, Belo said:

My girlfriend works for DSS, I am not going to say exactly what part of it in this forum, but let me assure you, it happens every single day.